don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    What's the button layout for your demo? I apologize for being obtuse, but I can't seem to figure it out, and there's no documentation. I have a control pad which makes sonic move, but jump buttons don't work, and keyboard buttons don't make him run, but make then menus work?

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I assume the three Death Eggs thing was just speculation based on the Genocide City domes' look, right?

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    @TheRedEye All of your hard work bringing this stuff to the public with such thoughtfulness is dearly appreciated even if a loud minority have been pissy and entitled about it at times, thank you so much. This truly made my day.

@Hez Very excited to play your recreation, it looks super fun. Just based on what's in the video it does seem way more enjoyable than Wing Fortress.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    The little chunk scans used to rebuild the level was cool, but the Brenda tape being found was by far the biggest find for me. Animated Sand Shower will forever live in my lucid nightmares as my saviour.

5. Jaxer

Jaxer

Probably, unless we can find proof of such in the documents.

6. Snowbound

Snowbound

I have zero involvement in this project and I don’t want to stir up drama… but “better late than never”!? Honestly this is very rude and frankly uncalled for as the cyber city material has been released. Yes it took longer for these documents to be released than if they were immediately uploaded to the sonic retro wiki… but maybe that extra time was used to get in contact with Brenda Cook who provided even more material. Again, I’m not involved so I’m not saying that’s what happened. but I want to call out this childish attitude that stuff needs to be immediately dumped otherwise it’s less valuable. If this attitude festers than all it will do is discourage game professionals from sharing any archival material as they wouldn’t want to be swarmed with fans complaining that they haven’t immediately dumped everything.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 22
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    it should be A,S,D controls for jumping. S is likely debug if I remember correctly. I didn't expect many to want to mess with the demo, as it was just a playground for an abandoned project of mine.

I figured more people would be interested in the BIN files for the level layouts.

8. I like how the trees are stylized in the winter level. Just look at them! They're cryst-mas trees!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  9. Jaxer

Jaxer

Honestly, here's something that I've been thinking about for a while now:

We've treated the VGHF, Frank and Hez disgustingly through this whole ordeal, and I think we owe them an apology.

I've seen entitlement, cynicism and an overall lack of empathy on this thread, as if these materials somehow belonged to us and us alone.

I confess that I might have contributed to this with me wondering if we should leak the Patreon post early, and for that I sincerely apologize. I implore everyone else who's fed fuel to the flames to do the same.

I won't say names, but you know who you are.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  10. Mookey

Mookey

Oh wow, there's actually hints to the production schedule in the Tom Payne docs; There's a calendar from May in here with cool bits, like Metropolis' art being scheduled to be done May 22nd, among other things ("build zone" is marked down for the 25th...is this when Metropolis was scheduled to be implemented in-game?)

Edit: There's yet another smoking Sonic in there too lol

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This is incredible.

@TheRedEye and @Hez thank you for all your hard work.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Here are the maps with 128 chunks in place. Reminder again that the art here used as filler are interpretations and not the real deal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT:
    [​IMG]

and Metropolis Act 1 from the data provided on the sheets. I noticed how much more bland the filler areas were. I am assuming if GCZ had progressed, they would have made it more interesting like they did with Metropolis.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    A only works in menus, S only works in debug, and the other keyboard buttons don't do anything gameplaywise (a bunch of other keys do testing features like swapping characters and backdrops)

The gamepad lets me move, but there is literally no jump button on anything I try at all.

You've given us a functional playable version of a lost stage. I'm grateful for the efforts. Why wouldn't we want to mess around and try playing it?

I hope there's a way to sort this out. It looks like a fun stage to play it, but even with debug mode on, the gamepad doesn't recognize 8 direction input on the analog stick even.

14. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    A and D were working on my end while playing Hez's thing (S was object select), so you appear to be suffering from a dreaded non-universal issue.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sorry that was a very rushed post born out of not having eaten in a while. But I would point you to the first 40 pages of this topic where we really didn't know what was going on - even charities can take the money and run, and it genuinely looked like this for much of the year.

But that's in the past now. I've eaten.

16. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    I appreciate this and accept the apology. I get the impatience but what I think a lot of people don't realize is that my goal is attracting people OUTSIDE of existing preservation communities, like people in the video game industry, and getting them excited and involved. I put time into the work I do because I want to normalize preserving material like this, I want my time spent to be an investment toward getting even more history preserved. This doesn't happen with a file drop on a forum, this happens by making content that people outside of dedicated communities can relate to. It is very literally already paying off, today, with some conversations that were started because of the video going out.

I really wanted to include Hez's work because I think seeing the layout with Sonic's physics helps you visualize this stage more than staring at a piece of paper ever could. Between Yasuhara's layouts, Hez's interpretations, and our brains filling in the gaps, this is the best we can get visualizing what might have been without editorializing, so I'm glad to see it all come together.

• Like Like x 26
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Just downloaded and watched the demo playthroughs of Genocide City, it's hard to feel and judge how well fans would've responded to the level, but since it loves it's death traps and slows Sonic down, and there's water, it might've been a good thing that this Zone got scrapped?

It's like a Sonic 1 Zone, but in Sonic 2.

Anyways, thankyou Hez for all your hard work!

18. Jaxer

Jaxer

Sounds a lot like Launch Base Zone, and that might just be my favorite level in Sonic 3. I'm certainly excited.

19. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    The weird turret things are kinda prone to cheap shots (cheap shots? guess it really is a metropolis reskin), though I imagine thats just their assumed behaviour rather than actual.

20. RDNexus

RDNexus

Where can I see those vids? I'm watching the Main Presentation vid by VGHF.