don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think that comment from Tee Lopes is unfortunate. Just saying ah don't overanalyse :V . I'm not really bothered by this kind of thing to me but it seems pretty lame to me. Lol!

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    The comment is much worse than what is in the song itself. The hoo-has last for less than 10 seconds and I just rolled my eyes when I heard it. But him taking his time to say that and then posting specifically about it shedding light on his supposed South American influences to get people ho so happy, BRAZIL MENTIONED etc. and being from the country that is directly responsible for the cultural power dynamics at play was... let's stick with unfortunate.

3. Are we really going to go on about where a music composer is from, and then attaching the whole "colonization" thing to him and the track(s) because he was inspired by a particular place in the world, even if the inspiration was not wholly accurate?

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 5
    • List
  4. Palas

Palas

Yes

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Kiyana

Kiyana

I don't think we should let anything slide rather it be humans or animals. Especially when it comes to colonialist in Africa regarding black people, culture or whatever.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I've already played through Trip's story and noted that it wasn't as good as the "main" story. I've also already noted that the final bosses are not great.

7. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    Quite frankly I think getting up in arms about a widely used musical trope by drawing historical implications is ridiculous. It's like saying that using sitars and oboes for a music track invoking a desert theme or a koto for a scene in historic asia is unacceptable because it marginalizes the middle east and asia respectively. It's musical shorthand that's been established over several decades of media and helps the audience get a feel for what the artist is trying to convey. It might be stereotypical yes, but perhaps we should not read into how "moral" it is...

8. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    Are we talking about politics or...?

9. Kiyana

Kiyana

Correction I myself don't have a issue with a fictional game and the music what's in it.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I know what we're not talking about.

Whatever this was.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Palas

Palas

It's a bit careless to use the stereotype, but Sand Sanctuary uses what you could call stereotypical instruments and scales, but no one brings it up. And no one brings up the samba/quechua music influences on Speed Jungle Act 1 either, even though their relationship with the Amazon Rainforest ranges from non-existent to relative. That's mostly ok. Being careless is one thing, but being defensively careless -- like handwaving criticism about a potentially sensitive issue with "just don't think about it" -- is annoying to say the least.

He's not a horrible person. He just could have done better explaining himself about a 10-second segment in a ~3 hour OST, and his music would benefit from being more careful.

12. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    No, it's not an homage, it's just a lazy trope. I don't trust some of you to continue this discussion without it getting nasty so can we not and say we did?

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Palas

Palas

Okay but I'll keep talking about the song, on a positive note though:

I wasn't the biggest fan when it was revealed, but it grew on me while pkaying the game. The same happened to the intro of Press Factory Act 1

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I like Sonic Superstars

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'm liking it at the moment too! Strangely infectious game. Speaking of Speed Jungle, I got Sonic, Tails and Amy to sub 1 minute times on Time Attack. Spent an hour grinding the stage. Very enjoyable!

17. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The song is good and fine, actually

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Honestly I find it a bit boring.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Grinding for medals has become strangely addictive for me. I've started playing online Battle to get more medals and buy more bot skins, even if lobbies generally tend to have one other player in them.

20. Here's a topic; why has Knuckles become the worst character to play as in both recent games? I feel like we entered the twilight zone, wasn't he the best? Why would they do this to my boy.