don't click here

Sonic Superstars Ultra Mega Spoiler Containment Thread for Spoilers [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Oct 12, 2023.

1. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, I'm having fun. I can't say I expected the genre-leap to have been a round of Fantasy Zone though. I'd have sooner predicted OutRun.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Yes, the track that plays on it is even named "bgm_zone_12_01".

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Dunno if it's been mentioned here, but apparently you can wiggle/jump out of the webs for Fang's final boss fight if you get caught in them. It's very much a barely-telegraphed mechanic though, and there's an extremely short window to do it (once Fang starts shooting his bullets).

(See this video at 14:37)

As an aside--has anyone called to attention Fang's ambiguous fate? I get him hitting the screen/being knocked out is a callback/role reversal with his KO bullets, but (unless I missed something) that's the last time we see him for the rest of the game? So for all we know, he didn't get to leave the Egg Fortress as it was blowing up; at least with Eggman, you saw him bail his mech in his jetpack once his final fight was over. (Let's ignore for the sake of the argument the recently-announced IDW miniseries Fang has coming up, which will probably have a throwaway line about him escaping before the base collapsed.)

It's also odd in that in Trip's story, all of her boss fights were being piloted by Eggrobo for the entire game, so Fang being used in this manner seems out of nowhere. At least Mecha Sonic from 3&K was alluded to still being intact in Sonic's story and in Knuckles' story, the final fight against him takes place in Sky Sanctuary (which was the last time you saw him).

Guessing this is just another potential example of a story that would had made more sense being planned, but cut due to resource constraints. Or Sonic Team (once again) didn't actually think their story through.

4. Kiyana

Kiyana

Question so do we have to Play all the stages with each character to get their ending or can we just go to the last stage?

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Last stage should be enough, I believe.

6. Vangar

Vangar

Not 100% sure but when i got trapped it seemed like the only way to escape fast enough was mash not only the buttons but violently wiggle the dpad in all directions at the same time.

I found the best way to avoid them was wait in place until they stopped moving, wait half a second and then either run under them or jump thread the needle depending on the 2 patterns they stop on.

7. LF222

LF222

This is probably an odd point of view, but everything about Fang in this game feels like it was planned for metal sonic and swapped last second, the only thing that feels like Fang here is the Lagoon City cutscene that is barely functional. he's got none of that goofy-team-rocket-joke-minion flare he should have

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

I wonder how much of this game might have been derived from a speculative Sonic 4 Episode 3, if at all.

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

Here's a little guide for those that are struggling to beat Fang. Wish I wasn't away from home to capture gameplay on my pc but I think it's still helpful.

I've been replaying the game and I while I like it a lot (especially love how the badniks are not pushovers in this game like in past games, especially the Eggrobos) there's some stuff I wish the game did better:

-the story to be told better and more clearly.
    -being able to see stuff like the cutscenes, both in game and animated.
    -sucks you can't see the intro cutscenes for Knuckles and Amy without having to start a new save file
    -I really hate how the wind slows you down in Sky Temple and same for the gravity segments in Egg Fortress.
    -the music being different styles.
    -not having boss checkpoints.
    -no super peelout or insta shield for Sonic.
    -a shortage of shields.

10. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    So I gotta ask, beyond the haha funnie dagron drawings and the precursor animated piece, where the fuck did that dragon even come from? And how could they successfully make a weaker Super Sonic fight than Egg Reverie AND taint it further with a bizarre feels-like-it-was-scrapped-from-Balan-Wonderworld boss?

It feels like there's quite a bit missing, and it feels weird that Trip, who is a tiny light dragon, isn't involved at all in the fight until the end cutscene

11. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    the dragon is somehow related to trip's folk, or the northstar islands themselves. that's about as much as the game tells us (and I'm basing this exclusively off of the mural in sky temple, which was also shown in the promotional animation)

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

So I gave up on Trip's Story when I reached the final boss. The whole campaign is just one slimy turd and the final boss is like a diarrhea explosion. Playing it was just sullying my experience of the main game, and I'm going to stick to that. I would like to play the true final boss for myself, but unless the game gets a balance patch I'm really not bothered.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You can use the debug mode code posted in the megathread to access the final boss. I believe it's (using Xbox controls) X x10, Y x2. Adjust as necessary for PS and Switch

14. Pengi

Pengi

Trip and Amy sometimes pass by and drop ring boxes, but it's rarer than Tails and Knuckles. I'm not sure what activates it.

15. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Like the rest of the boss, I'm pretty sure it's entirely random. There's no real rhyme or reason as to how rings appear, when the friends proc (outside of the final phase, where it seems like one will spawn during the volley), and there appears to be no tracking of Super Sonic's position or even a pattern to how the black holes and fireballs fire.

Add that nothing really hurts you (besides the black holes and PROBABLY that SHOOP DA WHOOP laser) but is more designed to impede or waste time, and... you have a pretty apt wrap up of Superstars' core issue.

16. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

What helped me out in the dragon fight was noticing that if you actually touch the characters dropping rings, they'll give you 10 rings. On the black hole portions, go high early, then weave to the bottom of the screen to crash into his belly. The fireballs are easier since he seems to try to launch them at you, so just keep moving. And the end is just Elite Beat Agents.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly it almost feels like they have this whole kind of lore for Trip's significance and what dragons/sungazers/Northstar Island might be within the context of the setting that would've be put in the manual if this had released before the 2010s, but they just...don't do anything with it in the game. Like we saw that mural in the Trio of Trouble short but, like so many other things in Superstars, it just goes entirely unexplained.

I do wonder if it was based on all that dragon/dragon egg stuff from the JP Sonic 3 manual...

18. Eh, I liked it. I get what the story was implying. Like you guys are saying, you can sort of extrapolate what would have been in a manual back in the day. That doesn’t change the fact that there is no manual with a story though, so it’s a bit meaningless.

I liked the game. It took me until today to clear the final boss which is the longest a Sonic game has taken, though that’s not in pure playtime as this is the first game to release whilst I’m working. I’ve been doing Time Attack today which has been super fun.

19. Snatcher42

Snatcher42

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Vangar

Vangar