don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Need Sonic 99

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oh yes, absolutely - hopefully all the Metal counterparts for the playable characters will be unlockable for use as skins in the main game too.

To be honest, since they've even gone to the trouble of designing a new Metal Tails and Metal Amy, I'll feel like it's a bit of a missed opportunity if they don't also appear as bosses in the main game at some point. Give us a Team Metal fight at the end of one stage, where you have to face off against the Metal versions of whichever characters you're playing as...!

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    All 3 of those speed jungle tracks are good. Tee may have the most complex part at first, but the others are very good in their own right. There are distinct tunes in each one that are both complex enough and hummable. I can see myself enjoying listening to all while playing, which is the most important part.

This is an excellent sign for OST quality. We won't have to worry about Jun's Sonic 4 here, clearly.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Tee’s track had me dancing around my room as I listened. As a guy who never dances, it’s that good. It honestly baffles me that people can think Tee’s just some guy who pumps out samey tracks and is undeserving of being a part of this series when he puts out bangers like this. This one in particularly sounds very Monkey Ball-esque, which is apt for a jungle level.

Takahiro Kai’s track is also pretty great. Gives me light Klonoa 2 vibes, which isn’t a bad thing - I just wish it (and the next track) had more cohesion with Act 1.

The last track didn’t really do it for me, I’m sorry to say. Just wasn’t my thing, honestly.

While I’m glad to hear a diverse array of composers in Superstars, it seems to me like there won’t be a grand vision pulled together by an overseeing composer in the same way Colours’ soundtrack managed. I’m sure that won’t be some great disaster, but have those leitmotifs and melodic throughlines has been a strength of the series since Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so it doesn’t quite feel right when they’re missing in action.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    So they are perfectly willing and able to make an online mode, just not one for the mode people actually want online for (the main campaign) lol

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Iizuka mentioned they didn’t bother with online co-op because they didn’t see the point of playing in that fashion with randos, which I kinda get.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    [​IMG]

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Some of us have friends we would like to play online co-op with, Iizuka.

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'd suspect lag was the main culprit for no online co-op.

Remember Mario Maker 2?

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The second Jungle track is the best.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That too. Co-op in Mario Maker 2 isn’t that much fun, racing is fine though. That should be an option at least, racing through normal stages.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    What does Mario Maker 2 have to do with Superstars? And they already have an 8 player online competitive mode in the game.

13. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

Yeah, in stages specifically designed with online multiplayer in mind. The main game most certainly wasn't designed with online multiplayer in mind.

14. Only for viewing

Only for viewing

aka Superstarxalien Member
    maybe they should have prioritized online co-op and worked the stages around it

15. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    here are two posts from the previous page again!! :) :)

jubbalub:

Here's another video featuring Bridge Island Zone, with its updated music. We also see how the Special Stage works in multiplayer. Each player can take three swings before the game switches to the next player, and so on. The characters have also gained a sweet looking trail, and the text is now capitalized. Timestamp @ 28:30. The video also features a real-time translator that's desperately trying to hear everything they're saying, and failing miserably because they're all talking over each other.

Man, that is one depressing looking results screen.

View attachment 7914

EDIT: And as if God himself were listening, suddenly, soundtrack upload!

~~

Boxer Hockey:

"McAleeCh: Love that animation - all the fun of Sonic Mania Adventures, but with what looks like a much bigger budget than either that series or the Sonic Origins cutscenes."

There were more unique BG paintings in just the opening sequence of Trouble than there were in the entirety of SMA 1-5. And many of the SMA BGs I had to make myself from cobbling together assets from other BGs, while I was still doing storyboards and sound design and animation directing. It really can't be overstated that SMA was not even in the same universe budget-wise as our recent stuff with Powerhouse. Neither was TSR or Colors for that matter, but SMA basically had the budget of an animated sprite comic, not an actual cartoon.

~~

16. expansivelovestories

expansivelovestories

reality is profoundly synergistic Member
    I was thinking about not this image but the idea of ring and score amounts being replaced with transforming conceptual bars in future versions of Sonic, perhaps a new mode, whether it is key to a new game or otherwise!!

There is already the boost meter or of course HP and MP but Sonic could include many different simple symbols or color codes. The Emeralds' bestowings are a very tuned and tunable starting point and continuing point for all of these!!

That is, the results screen in the earliest games presented the ring and time bonus!!
    And Super is the Emerald's initial bestowing!!

So, to fit the bestowings and mysteries into the gameplay itself would be quite simple but based on any of the ideas about Rings, Time Stones, Gems;
    i don't see Sonic becoming a game where they eat food, they can eat in other mediums??
    But, Art and Artifacts!! Knuckles and Rouge and Tikal and many others haven't been able to search for many unusual upgrades, in the form of hidden Art and Artefacts, for the whole Team yet!! But, this isn't an idea i am claiming!! it would be fun :0 : ) : )

anyone can do this if they wish : ) : )

The simplicity of the Sonic games is key to experiencing their synergy!! so i think any alternate versions of the HUD and ring and time bonuses would be very elemental, depending on whether it is the 3D or 2D games!!

Chao Blessed Up Emerald Powers sounds a bit like a Knuckles single!! i think i like the idea of Emeralds and Rings and Time Stones changing the sound effects or music in regular zones in future Sonic games someday, maybe fangames but i think what the collected items do is always a key in and of itself!!

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Here's the music put together with the b-roll footage from a little while back. Fits quite well for sure.

18. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm gonna say this. The result screen of the original Super Smash Bros. (RIP) was borderline awesome and would fit very well with Sonic.

I mean the bonuses.

19. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    If I didn't know better, the intro to Tee Lopes' track would have tricked me into thinking the song was about to build upon something actually interesting, but then it switches to his usual shtick, which sounds entirely different.

I think there's a single redeeming quality to it, and that's the fact that it seems to almost fully line up with the B-roll footage of what can be assumed to be Act 1. I don't think a real time playthrough will be as lucky to line up with that, but it's there.

(And then, just after I wrote that part, this showed up)
    I still don't really like how the track sounds overall though.

20. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah with this and the pinball carnival theme, any and all worries I had about this game's OST have been dashed away. This sounds great, I can't wait to hear everything when the game comes out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List