don't click here

The Most Loved and Hated Sonic Games According to Backloggd

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Taylor, Sep 4, 2023.

1. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I think my list would be similar, but with some games placed higher, and SA2 placed lower.
    And this is not including the 8-bit games, most of them would be badly ranked.

THE CREAM OF THE CROP

Sonic 2 (16-bit)
    Sonic 3K
    Sonic Mania
    Generations

THE GOODIES

The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog
    Frontiers
    Colors (Wii)
    Adventure
    Sonic 1 (16-bit)
    CD

NOT QUITE AS GOODIES
    Adventure 2 Battle
    Unleashed (PS3/360)
    Unleashed (Wii/PS2)
    Sonic Heroes
    Lost World (Wii U)

BAD
    Shadow the Hedgehog
    3D Blast
    4 Episode 2
    4 Episode 1
    Forces

THE TIER WITH SONIC 06

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    P-06 upgrades the visual fidelity, makes gameplay less buggy, and decreases load times. It's also a technical marvel and one of, if not THE most impressive fan-made project to come out of this community (and that's saying a lot). The creator ChaosX didn't even play 06 before they started; they mostly eyed gameplay footage for the first half of it's development. It's brilliant work, and I can see why people buy into the hype.

But it doesn't really "fix" 06. The game is still clunky to steer, the physics are still half-baked, the level design is still rife with automation and death pits, the characters are still grotesque, the roster is still bloated, certain gimmicks (mach speed / vehicles) are still borderline unplayable, the tone is still embarrassing and the story is still at the bottom of a pretty tall Sonic story trashpile. Despite everything, it's still Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Still a bad game.

And it's kinda crazy that some fans have convinced themselves it's the BEST 3D Sonic game, but I guess nostalgia is a powerful drug we should never underestimate; not even for the mid-2000s. Regardless I don't think we should count fangames as on par with official games, lol.

3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    You pretty much nail it. I personally still don't enjoy the game much, but I'm glad that P-06 exists and is still being worked on, and I probably will even fully replay it when they finish the entire project down the line (or at least try...). I just wanted to present a counter argument that solidly states why it's gained such a cult status so quickly. Storywise, Sonic X Elise is the only thing I truly disliked about it, but I despised the gameplay style of pretty much everyone who wasn't the core 3. It's now refined to be a lot more tolerable, but I don't think I can ever look past tails throwing ring bombs that you can't even pick back up. Such a wonky and dumb mechanic even for this series.

4. Taylor

Taylor

The desire to rehabilitate Sonic 06 is kinda funny considering the game's main theme is about letting go and moving on. There's a reason why the game retcons itself out of existence, and it's not because it was bad :V

5. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    If you were "there" back then, and hated it with a passion: give it a serious second chance.
    Way too many people are making fun of it without realizing what they're missing out on. I mean, there's nothing quite like it. The series hit puberty, and fell on its arse, because, according to adults, life is much too tough to allow such a thing as a Final Fantasy Sonic.

It's got the spirit, but got beaten down. Guess which part was more funny.

P-06 doesn't quite do it for me, because it fiddles too much with the metaphysical experience. Lol I like some graphic enhancements, though.

6. Eh, I gave it a chance and it just confirmed to me 06 would've been aggressively mediocre at best if it was ever completed. ChaosX really is doing something magical but at the end of the day a polished turd is still a turd.

Anyways about that list, its about what I expected. It is funny seeing Forces and S4 Ep1 next to 06 but I can understand why people feel the way they do about those games.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

P'06 impressively polishes a turd to a radiant lustre. But it's still a turd.

8. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Yeah, I keep seeing people say how amazing it is now, but I still can't cohesively play it like I can any other Sonic game. The spit n' shine ain't gonna fix that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Astro

Astro

Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog are objectively worse games than Sonic 4 but those are funny bad so I'm still glad to see Sonic 4: Episode 1 at the absolute bottom. Episode 2's a marked improvement but the overall Sonic 4 package is still pretty awful and I'm glad SEGA more or less brushed it under the rug with Mania and Superstars.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Honestly, these are games I'd like to see remade by fans in various ways, personally. Episode I will never be good, but it'd at least nice to get a version of it where the physics at least reach a GBA Sonic level of competence.

Of course, I guess I should rather see the GBA titles themselves remade and improved before we get to that point. Or Sonic Chaos and Chaotix as far as Classic titles go... modern 3D Blast Saturn port, ect ect ect

I have a pointlessly long list of games I wish could be fixed. Silly old me.

11. Taylor

Taylor

Since this thread has become a bit of a P-06 roasting, here's me shilling a review I did of it: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1026818/

The only Sonic game that I really want to be "fixed" is Chaotix because it's so unique, not just by Sonic standards, but by video game standards, period.

12. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    Most people's ideas in fixing Chaotix would ruin the game that is already there. They would rather just make a new game that takes the name "Chaotix" and I don't want that.

13. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Whatever the rankings if sonic blast isn't always considered the worst then the list is wrong.

14. Taylor

Taylor

It got a 1.4, which is lower than anything else on that list

I'm not really familiar with fan suggestions to fix Chaotix, I just want the rubber band mechanic intact. It was fun to mess around with the physics of that

15. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    There was a whole thread about it. Many suggestions involved simply removing the rubber band mechanic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  16. I really think the rubber band could be fun. I find a decent amount of enjoyment in Chaotix as it is though.

I think most people just want Sonic 2 or 3 but with Chaotix’s level theming and music.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Glad to see fans still hold S3K in higher regard than Sonic 2, as it should be, and not like all these stupid gaming YouTubers would have you believe otherwise.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Really I don't think it's the rubber band that let it down as much as the level design and the poor character mechanics. The game is literally designed to be cheesed unintuitively. Making the layouts less barren and make more entertaining use of the character and rubber band abilities would have led to a much more developed game.

19. Yeah, that would have worked too but I think designing the stages with the rubber band in mind is probably very difficult. I doubt the intention from the beginning was to make the levels so empty. I imagine the current design was either the result of play testing showing that most gamers would constantly be getting hit due to balancing the movement and rubber band, or the devs just flat out not being able to make something as entertaining as Yas.

So in my mind, there are 2 ways to really fix Chaotix:

1. Redesign the game as a traditional classic Sonic game with 2/3K’s level design philosophy.

2. Make the current game more challenging and fun.

I think the first option is much easier to imagine for most gamers.