don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Fwiw the digital content has I’m pretty sure always become available through other means. Watch there be a “Plus” edition a year later.

Least they learned to simplify again after Origins mess of a dlc package presentation

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    You know, there’s a lot of potential for extended cast references and deep cuts with the battle mode character creator. I think parts for Mighty and Ray are dead certs, but we could also get stuff like parts referencing Honey, Rocket Metal and even various badniks, particularly from the Game Gear titles, given all the love Superstars is already giving them. Battle Kukku parts would be insane.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Colours Ultimate and Origins (Plus) made their Digital Deluxe content available for purchase otherwise, but that's not the case yet for Frontiers and its Adventurer's gloves and shoes. Whilst idgaf about the Lego crap, it would be a huge shame to miss out on the prototype rabbit and Mecha Sonic skins. But no, I'm not buying a digital copy.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’m getting a digital copy just because PC. I’ll get a physical copy too but I might wait… for that plus edition. Unless it goes on sale on the switch at some point in which case maybe.

5. Turbohog

Turbohog

Exactly: there's no point in buying this game at launch. Wait a year or so until they fix a few bugs with the Plus edition.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Especially after SEGA had the gall with Origins to make early adopters cough up even more, while those jumping in a year later ended up paying less for it.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    But I need my Sonic games on pc so they can be modded to hell and back lol

8. Popped my head out of my cave to say the new trailer is meh. But it's not aimed at me anymore. A 40 year old man. If I had kids I'd get it for them.

Where is Mania 2?

Back in my cave I go... see you all in another year or so lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is the closest we’re prob getting to a Mania 2.

10. MastaSys

MastaSys

Deluxe Digital bullshit again Sega?
    I heard you the first time Sammy boy, after one year it is then.

11. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
  12. I’m gonna withdraw earlier criticism I made that the environments don’t look unique enough. I think they are far better than anything we’ve seen in a decade, so that alone is a win in my book. My last dying remark will be that after having it nag me in the back of the head the last few months, I now know what Bridge Island Zone reminds me of- Emerald Coast from Generations 3DS. Probably won’t be able to unsee that now.

But hey other than GHZ in multiplayer, the digital deluxe version, and one unsolicited shot at capitalism, it looks like the positive reception for the base game seems to continue to pick up steam, so count me in!

13. Lambda

Lambda

I'm guessing the music is Bridge Island Zone: Act 2?

Honestly, it doesn't sound as different as I'd expect an Act 2 to sound, but at the same time, this sounds soooooooooooo much better than the Act 1 version.

I was iffy on Act 1, but Act 2 sounds great.

14. Linkabel

Linkabel

Seems the track in that trailer is an act 2 mix.

Also, I stitched together just the cgi of Sonic and his friends running.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Blech. I've been divisive about this game's visuals since minute one and the environments shown off in here (I have only seen this and the reveal trailer) really don't inspire much confidence. They look really plasticky and "fake", with unsightly color warmth.

16. We finally have a Metal Tails in a Sonic game. :)

17. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    The visual style is very bland for sure. Hopefully it holds up a bit better when you're actually playing it

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Wow, the digital deluxe is £60? Priced even higher than Super Mario Bros Wonder and three days before that? Yeah good luck with that I guess.

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't think the game looks good visually. It has an abundance of bloom which I associate with 2010 budget titles like Abe Odyssey New and Tasty. It's one of the reasons the game is looking like clear 7/10 territory to me. It's certainly nowhere near on the aesthetic level of Super Mario Wonder.

Honestly this is one of the greatest gripes I have about a lot of 2D games now. Publishers do not think that 2D sprite art will sell well. Maybe not. But I really do not like the look of cheap 3D models in 2D side scrolling games.

20. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It doesn't really look any more visually bland than 3K did. I'd prefer it sizzling my corneas CD style too, but I'm grateful SEGA is putting wholeass effort such as they can muster into an entirely new classic Sonic game, it still feels like a weird dream tbh

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List