don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I have an AMD rig and have never had issues with Origins before.

EDIT: Should have made sure the mods folder was scrubbed, in case anyone else had my issue.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Tried it on the spiky enemies in Hydrocity and immediately got fucked up, so...probably not, lol

3. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Well then.

4. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

EDIT: Looks like I goofed and didn't clean out my mods directory, please learn from my mistake if you see this:

Yeah this is ridiculous. I tried switching to borderless fullscreen and the same result. Maybe it'll work fine on my Steam Deck, but this should not be that difficult.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

See that I don't mind to much since it's a proper strategic pro and con. (Also that way, the extra radius adds some real advantages in areas like the LBZ boss without making them PATHETIC).

The hammer attack not-Drop-Dash however, utilising it, most of its differences from the Drop Dash make it feel kinda.....hacky. Kills momentum and physics with Amy able to turn at whim. It's not bad I guess, but I wouldn't call it an amazing trump card for Amy like the Drop Dash is for Sonic. I feel like she needed something else.

Her hit box is smaller than Sonic's however, that's a subtle plus, especially in crush areas.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    https://twitter.com/Rafaknight_rk/status/1672109332467425280?s=20

Can sega stop being freaking awful for just one moment with their flagship characters, jeeze.

Edit, I see context about the creator of the model and issues around them but still, it's not hard to credit someone with a name drop in the credits. Don't keep adding to the pile of mistakes this collection has already.

7. Happy with the game myself

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    After playing the DLC, here are my thoughts. It's pretty much what I expected.

AMY: At last, playable Amy! But I'm disappointed that she’s not that different from Sonic. I wish they had done more with her hammer (e.g. maybe smashing spikes/rocks to get random power ups (like Knuckles' digging in SA2). Smashing stuff is always cool.)

KNUCKLES IN SONIC CD: The new routes are a joy to find, and even time travelling is a tad easier (as Knuckles can glide while building up speed, making it easier to dodge obstacles). I'd have like to see the elemental shields added, but otherwise this is top-notch!

GAME GEAR GAMES: This lacks features from SADX like being able to scale the screen size or play any game in 2P dual screen. Sega’s own Mega Drive Classics is a shining example of how to handle emulation (with options like Rewind), but this is just bare bones.

MUSEUM/MISSION: They didn’t update the museum with Game Gear manual scans, even though there were in previous collections. There are also no missions for Knuckles in CD or Amy.

They have added a new Surprise mode: + - Complete 10 painfully easy achievements to unlock a single piece of new Classic Sonic artwork.   . Lame.

Both the physical art books and Sega’s socials have artwork not in this collection, so they could have added more.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
    Origins deserves props, as in some places it excels. But, given the price they are charging, it’s shockingly lacking in other areas.

The surveys suggested Sega had more ideas for new features, but it seems like somewhere along the lines this turned into an exercise in milking fans.

Hopefully this leads to Headcannon doing more Sonic projects (Although, it looks like Sega's internal teams did the bulk of work on this, so that's probably false hope).

9. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I do wonder if more interaction was planned with Amy's attacks to give them more depth, as mentioned the springs, or being able to break stuff like spikes or enter Knuckles' routes). Of course that would require a lot of repogramming of many of the game's objects themselves likely, hence maybe why this didn't happen.

Also yeah, odd neither the Museum or Mission mode got updated, I feel like the Surprise would have worked better as an extra page in the Museum really.

10. BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Tech Member
    No, it doesn't, unless you ignore every issue it has, like blurry graphics, crash bugs, the muffled Sonic 3 & Knuckles soundtrack, the inconsistent audio volume in Sonic CD's FMVs, Sonic 3 & Knuckles essentially being unfinished, and other glitches and annoyances. And that's without even going into the UI issues.

Also, we got an inferior version of the pre-existing remakes. The remastered music was removed, and the save system was changed for the worse.

I don't have a problem with you enjoying this collection, but please don't hold this collection as the golden standard, because as the many pages of this thread will attest to, it most definitely is not.
    Mega Drive Classics's emulation is pretty spotty, actually. If you want shining examples, look at M2's releases on the PS2 and the 3DS.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  12. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Alright i got the dlc, quick impressions:
    wow, the $10 i paid for Knuckles in Sonic CD also came with poorly emulated Game Gear games, some bugfixes and an extra slot Amy with a crappy moveset for all games!
    amazing!

Amy's sprites are cool but I'd preferred that they ring up e-122-Psi, forever and ever.

same with her moveset. I'd have wished for her Advance moveset but, knowing it was unrealistic, I expected a vanilla jump sin implementation with some in-air action. that's what this is, and a hammer insta shield is a cool common sense concept, but it's so sloppily implemented it makes me want to cry.

cool how this franchise is such a monkey paw generator.

"okay, you're getting retroactive implementation of Amy for the classics, but its gonna have a mediocre moveset!"

13. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Might be because the 16-bit version of that did release in Japan. But at the end of the day that’s just my theory as to why, I’m not SEGA.

14. Change the aspect ratio to have perfect pixels, then you complain. Keep the aspect ratio and have shimmering while scrolling, then I complain.

There is no perfect choice to make on this if you have to pick one. Though I guess allowing an option to change it would have been a solution lol.

15. MastaSys

MastaSys

Which is the standard for comercial emulated games for like the last 2 - 4 generations.

... why the hell Sega avoids the Master System so much...

16. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    Did they get rid of her rolling? Top speed? No? Her not-Drop Dash is only a little awkward?

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Or maybe I can do whatever I want with whatever standards I have ^^
    I'm not denying the flaws this collection has, and I'm not saying they shouldn't bother you. If you don't like the collection because of these numerous issues, that's more than fair.

However, the fact is that these flaws simply don't bother me. The stuff you listen is so incredibly inconsequential to me I can't see this collection as anything else than the best classic collection we've gotten, I'm sorry :V
    It's not perfect. But it's pretty much everything I wanted sega to do, with Amy added to boot. I'd be perfectly happy if this turned out to be the collection that gets ported to every system until the heat death of the universe, honestly.

I was polite enough to not speak my mind when everybody were acting like the plus dlc was a blight on the series and sega were worse than war criminals, so please let me feel the way I want to feel about this collection in return. It's only fair :p

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’m getting a little sick of people who say they like Origins getting told to shut the fuck up if I’m being quite honest

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 4
    • List
  19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    The Golden standards are the Genesis games, but as far as complete remakes go, these are awesome. Everyone agreed in 2011-2013 and wanted a collection of those games plus S3K. Many people here considered these the definitive gold standard for the Genesis games. We finally got a compilation of the Taxman remakes, S3K, and even in a physical form. Are there some issues that kinda suck, yes. A lot of them were also in the original mobile versions, some were not.

This isn't perfect, but it is awesome, and it's what we wanted. It's a little disheartening so see so many people here move the goalposts.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List