don't click here

Sonic Superstars: A New 2D Sonic Game (Fall 2023)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DefinitiveDubs, Jun 8, 2023.

1. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    Them trying to execute co-op in a Sonic game will be a challenge. Tbh I'm doubtful it'll be anywhere near NSMB in terms of fun and quality, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

2. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

I don't like that. I don't want to be Coins/Fruit/Medallion the hedgehog.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound

There are two mods I’d love to see developed for Sonic 4 Ep 2: 1) A mod that makes the Combination moves occur instantly instead of halting gameplay for a cutscene. 2) The soundtrack replaced with fan remixes that either veer towards SA-1 esque Jun Senoue guitar shredding or Sonic CD-esque fusion
    There is nothing I want more than a full band fusion soundtrack for a classic sonic game. That said since Senoue is scoring this game, I hope there is prominent electric guitar. I don’t want to hear his imitation of a genesis. I want him to play his style

4. Man, imagine actually SEGA hiring T-SQUARE to compose some Sonic. That would be crazy.

No, seriously, T-SQUARE songs sounds LIKE A LOT Sonic:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I can't see any of these songs : (

6. Oof, do they at least open on YouTube itself?

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    LMAO immediately after typing that reply I went to listen to some of their albums on shuffle and Samurai Metropolis was actually one of the first to come on. I remember when I discovered j-fusion when I was little, it was like the "video game music" I wanted more of so badly had actually existed the entire time.

@SuperSnoopy the songs linked are "Samurai Metropolis" and "Victory" by T-Square, I also recommend "Traffic Jam" and "Circuit Wanderer" :)

Edit: Just watched that IGN preview and hearing them say "Sonic was always good" was really funny lol.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  8. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    They don't haha, might be a me problem tho :p

@foXcollr thank you for giving me the song titles! These are indeed some sonic-ass sounding song lol, I love them

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

Emerald Coast is pretty inspired by T-Square’s “Omens of Love,” I’d argue.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    In Pac-Man World (at least the original PS1 version, I’ve yet to play the remake), collecting fruit gives you additional attempts at the end of level slot machine. While that obviously wouldn’t work here, maybe collecting fruit will add more fruit slots to the capsule roulette to improve the player’s chances of landing on one and getting whatever bonus that bestows.

11. Vertette

Vertette

So it's only going to be mildly challenging then.

The bosses look kinda disappointing honestly. They seem more out of a Mario game than a Sonic game, waiting until you can attack it rather than being able to attack at almost all times.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
  12. RikohZX

RikohZX

That was a common criticism of Mania, too, plus the Hidden Palace boss in the modern Sonic 2 port, in having to wait for opportunities. Sonic bosses are kind of usually awkward and hard to get right, and no one wants to put the effort into all these patterns and assets only for players to blitz them in ten seconds.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    • Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    How much more of the game do you guys actually want to see before release? As far as levels are concerned, I on;y really want to see one more and I'd rather further promotional material focus on side content, given that we've already seen two full Zones. Getting some music would be nice too, but I think that's pretty expected.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'd love to remain unspoiled with as many zone themes/layouts as possible. With those I personally wouldn't mind if we only got to see more of the "cyber" zone and that's all. But I can imagine they'd at least show off one or more new zone before release.

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

That's a fair enough stance against giving Amy her exact Advance 1 moveset, but I don't see how my suggestion (before the "fancy" bit) is any less consistent than what they've done here. If anything, her actual implementation sticks out more, since the rest of the classic cast (including Mighty and Ray) have pretty consistent jumps, with the major distinction being what happens after the midair button press.

17. Vertette

Vertette

See, I've been thinking about that a lot because I once released my own platformer and that's exactly how all the bosses work in that game, you can easily cheese every single one of them in 30 seconds max if you know how. I've found that the vast majority of players are not able to do this on their first try, however, and the same goes even in easier platformers, so honestly at that point the argument seems moot.

Especially in a Sonic game, I would honestly just prefer the kind of boss I could beat quickly because it'd be consistent with the rest of the game. You can beat GHZ act 1 in less than 30 seconds, and you can beat the wrecking ball boss in less than 30 seconds. I wasn't able to do either as a kid but I appreciate that the skill ceiling is high enough that I can do it now with some practice.

18. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    I'd just like to have an idea of how many zones there are

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    • Like Like x 19