don't click here

New Sonic 2 development lore drop - Genocide/Cyber City palette and art!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Joebro64, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I've always liked the bonus points around the goal post, when I was chasing first place in sega ages sonic 1's score attack I learned all their placements lol

2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Not always. There was the zone in the "last battle in space" portion. We don't know what it was called, but we know it came at the very end after Neo Death Egg.

As someone said before in this thread, that might have been what the WFZ theme was composed for.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  3. RDNexus

RDNexus

Still... Why "Neo Death Egg?" Would there be two Death Eggs or so?
    The name coming from early in development only makes it weirder...
    At least to me, that is ^^"

EDIT: Wait a sec... There's a "Neo Green Hill", not a "Neo Death Egg".
    I somehow managed to mix up the names and get confused in vain ^^"
    Still, the point stands. To me, levels started in "Neo" lack in creativity.

4. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    In the last map picture we got. where it shows GCZ1 and GCZ2 there is a Neo Death Egg.

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Found it. It's not on a map, but on the Time Travel plot document.
    Could that be a level associated with "The Last Battle in Space"?

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

No, Neo Death Egg was in the second to last section labeled as "the future is changed again". "The last battle in space" was a different section and had a single zone. We don't know the zone's name because it wasn't included in the only photo we have with a readable size. For all we know, it might have been a proto-Doomsday Zone.

7. Varion Icaria

Varion Icaria

He's waiting.... Tech Member
    S4: Cybernetic Outbreak
    Sounds like it would've most likely been where Doomsday came from. It makes sense.

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

I can see that too. The way it's called and "depicted" seems very close to that.
    Basically, S3K had TONS of stuff recicled from S2, like an expansion pack ^^"

Yep... This one surely doesn't help with the small words... And it sure sucks...

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I can kind of see this being composed for a Doomsday-esque final boss. It sounds bombastic and frenetic with a great sense of threat, and it's in some ways reminiscent of the S3K Doomsday BGM to me.

10. Fleeksteek

Fleeksteek

Burst of Awesome Member
    You bring that up, and I remembered something. In Pocket Adventure, Chaotic Space (Which is portable Doomsday), uses Sky Sanctuary as the theme. Maybe that was based off of the potential song choice for Neo Death Egg?

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Regarding Sonic Pocket Adventure's level music as a whole, they seem so random sometimes that I'm inclined to believe that they just didn't give a crap whether the assigned songs made much sense or not.

12. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Yet it somehow got a 10 on IGN:eng101:

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

Troll score, I guess? Come on, it's gotta be.
    At least I think it didn't deserve anywhere close to that...

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    ah, in this case it was a cited quote from Naka, from the Sonic Jam Official Guide (it's on this page: https://info.sonicretro.org/Metropolis_Zone )

but yes, also the Inexplicable Rhombuses and layout stuff supports this too IMO, simply because it really is just...such a weird and specific idea that I'd be surprised if it was conceptualized independently twice. Crushers! But Annoying!

Not saying anyone is lying, rather that we have cited primary sources on our own wiki that I was able to go hunt down by searching "Metropolis Zone", as opposed to people In The Days of Yore making stuff up and it becoming canonized over the decades.

15. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    But how accurate is Naka's translation? And he doesn't mention the zone, but we always assumed Cyber City. It was actually Tweaker who originally made the connection. And it was an understandable conclusion.

Also, I found Tom's quote which David The Lurker posted originally, which is not on the wiki:
    So there's reason to question it.

Also, yes the rhombus is strange. But what about the giant coupling rods seen only in act 3? They don't seem like they belong to a zone called Cyber City. So these may simply have been ideas they wanted to try that they didn't get done in the first two acts. One way to ensure the zone doesn't get stale is to throw in new things not seen in the first two acts. The rhombus didn't work out, so that one was taken out.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    That was already addressed in this post. I'm not sure when that initial translation on the wiki was made or by who, but a more modern translation, along with a translation by DeepL doesn't make a whole lot of sense the way it's worded. It seems to imply that Act 3 was supposed to appear during Act 1, somehow... but one thing's for sure: I've asked two people who were fluent in Japanese to translate this, and neither of them came back with a "was a different zone" comment.

I think we might need Windii or someone else to re-translate all of the Sonic Jam Official Guide comments.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Agreed. I don't trust the one we have relied on for the past number of years.

On another matter, where does the fundraising stand? Not rushing, but genuinely curious how far we've got to go before we get showered in Tom's scans.

18. Fleeksteek

Fleeksteek

Burst of Awesome Member
    The initial goal for CCZ Act 2 was 24k, and the last charity stream reached $31,489.00, so it might just be taking a while. Remember, we're getting over 500 scans. Even if one took 30 seconds, at least 500 would still take 4 hours. They also have to make sure every scan is as clean as possible.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The statement in the stream itself heavily implied they'd be released sometime in the days after the charity stream ended (since they reached all goals), though I don't know what quite must be involved in organizing the files.

Hopefully Frank can update us a tiny bit on the status-quo soon. I think we've reached the end of most meaningful speculation without more of the material.

20. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    There seems to be some confusion:

- All paper is scanned and organized

- I want to write a blog post on our org's website with new findings. Not just to justify the work we did, but to put Sonic 2 research more into the mainstream and recognize all the community research that has been done over the last couple decades

- I was excited with the work going well and wanted to show off on the stream before I was done

- Donation incentives were just to get me to show my work-in-progress on stream, I'm still actively working on this article/post

- The plan is and always has been: blog post with digestible content, that also links to the full raw scans archive

I don't have an ETA but I am poking at it as fast as I can between other job tasks

• Like Like x 26
    • Informative Informative x 15
    • List