don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2022

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Feb 27, 2022.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Personally, ROM hacking has always been a means so that I can make interesting gameplay experiences, and while I am a capable enough programmer, working within the limits of old hardware has never really held any special interest for me. The Retro Engine has provided me with a platform that I can use to make the same kinds of things I've been making (literally in the case of KEHDX) with fewer limits, and in some cases allowed me to make things I never could have with a ROM hack (there's no way I would have been able to make the CD randomizer for the MCD version). The MD hacks have always been secondary for me when compared with my PC modding career anyway, this just furthers that.
    Which isn't to say that I won't make another ROM hack ever again, anything is possible, but right now the Retro Engine has my full attention.

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    How many hacks unaccepted were submitted this year?

3. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Regarding any lack of particular entries you may have wanted, the fact is at the end of the day, submitting to SHC is optional.

I am aware of a few decent hacks and mods that could have been in SHC this year, but did not for various reasons.

And there are a lot of good entries worthy of the Contest too, but go to the non-judged Expo, which is their choice. Maybe next year they can try submitting to the Contest if they have done more with it.

Even if you see stuff being worked on in the screenshot / video thread and other places, it doesn't mean it'll be ready for SHC. They might have wanted to submit, but things get in the way and they can't.

It's also important to note that there have been many years of Mega Drive entries, nowadays there is a big push on Retro Engine content, and plenty of 3D mods too.

The progression of the RSDK decompilations and subsequent tools and guides for them etc will only increase this...and there is nothing wrong with that.

If anyone doesn't feel like they got what they wanted out of this year, they're always welcome to try making something and submitting it to next year's Contest or Expo.

We don't normally publicise rejections but around 13 met the shredder this year, the majority of them being in the Retro category.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    For my part, I was just noting the shifted emphasis. I think it's good that people are branching out!

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member