don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    Yeah in the story of the first Riders game each leader of the Babylon Rogues passed down the Key to Babylon Garden to their descendent, which is how Jet has that cube in the game. [​IMG]

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Of course, as long as it's a classic/2D game, because I forgot to mention that's what I have stuff ready for.

3. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    sigh
    There was never a "no families" rule. There was a "only we get to introduce families" rule. Sega has nothing against families, Sega doesn't want licensees going "here's Sonic's father". If Sonic gets a father, it'll be Sega making that decision and creating him. So obviously Jet's father, a character mentioned and created in a game, by Sega, gets to exist.

I hate the fandom's perception of "mandates" so much, it's just outright irrational. It was obvious that this was the logic of "no families" from as soon as the Archie right-before-the-reboot era, but instead a ton of people have managed to instead think families are just banned outright except for Cream. Understand I'm not blaming you specific, just frustrated with the game of absurd telephone the fandom at large plays with this stuff.

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Sorry, I don’t think I explained myself properly. I was coming from a place of not knowing Jet’s father had already been mentioned in canon and thought that it was something made up for the comic, hence my surprise given the cleaning house of comic original families for the SEGASonic characters.

But yeah, I do agree that people mischaracterise the mandates and feedback as hard and fast laws when Ian has said time and again that this is not the case.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Don't know if this was already addressed here before, but Cucky/Clucky was not the character who had their name changed.

58:56
    - I had a question about the Encyclo-Speed-ia: You mentioned that one character had their name changed by Sega, but couldn't talk about it at the time. Was the character in question Cucky/Clucky? If not, are you able to talk about who it was since the book released, cause I've been looking and can't tell who you might be talking about otherwise.

- Yeah, it was Hocke-Wulf. There was a lot of discussion over how the Witchcart'er's names were going to be localized, because apparently what was done in the old Archie books didn't count. They all had a bit of back and forth on. With Hocke-Wulf, the original name we gave him was Falke Wulf, which number 1: you have to be very careful how you say that, and number 2: the whole joke was it was based on a German aeronautics manufacturer, and they were concerned that might skirt the line of copyright infringement. So because the kanji in question could be interpreted a couple ways, we went with Hocke-Wulf, because that's technically a way you could properly translate it and it's also legally in the clear. So he is now Hocke-Wulf.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    (he means katakana, not kanji, but yeah, the logic is that it's one of those instances where the japanese word can be romanised multiple ways- same way how sonic could be named sonic, soneek, sawnic, sonikk, sonicoo, sonickoo, etc, all are valid transliterations of Sonikku)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    This was the best time to do it really as well. Eggman’s Dozen was the first time the Witchcarters had appeared since their debut and the fact that no one’s really talked about the name change before now shows that there wasn’t much of an attachment in the first place, compared to what may be the case with the Tails anniversary book coming up this year.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    13:04
    - In the first Tailstube video, a picture of Tangle can be seen and Spiral Hill was mentioned. Were these just fun little nods to the comics, or does it reflect that the comics may have some influence on the game canon?

- I wouldn't say that the comics have an influence on the game canon, but... Modern Sonic is pretty much just Modern Sonic at this point.

- #KnowingSmile, huh? I see, I see...

9. RDNexus

RDNexus

That sure...clarified tons of stuff... No doubt about it... (...sarcasm...)

10. Kyro

Kyro

Man it really sucks when he cant give definitive yes or no's. Like, i get it, hes only allowed to say so much, but it always just sucks when we cant know for sure

11. Levi Church

Levi Church

Yeah I continue to be surprised at how slowly TailsTube comes out. It's supposed to answer all our questions right? But now TailsTube is creating even more questions before it has time to answer them. Maybe they are just waiting for Frontiers to release first before they release more episodes of TailsTube?

12. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Well, working off of our paltry sample size of 2 videos, the schedule seems to be one every three months, which is admittedly disappointing, but there’s likely more than we appreciate going into each episode. At any rate, we’re due one in the next 2-3 weeks, which I imagine will be about the past, given things that have been said on BumbleKast recently.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Am I the only one who just thinks at this point he's just enjoying the attention more than anything else? A "Sorry I can't really talk about that" for stuff he can't talk about would be better than the cockteasing he's doing in place of it.

14. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Nah. #knowingsmile is kinda a meme at this point.

15. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Or Tangle will be introduced to the game canon in Saonic Frontiers as a captured character on one of the Starfall Islands. Amy first, then Tails, then Knuckles, and then? it's 5 islands, you know, and even if you let the last one just for colsing the story with Eggman or whatever, there's still one spare island and maybe patient zero of this furry quarantine.

16. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    You are forgetting big the cat, that is a sin.

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

But he seems to be free from the very beginning, you can't trap in cyberspace someone who almost doesn't notice reality.

18. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Strongly believe this does an injustice to Ian. First of all, it was Kyle who said #KnowingSmile as a joke before moving on to the next question, Ian just said that mainline canon largely = comics canon at this point, but it’s important to remember that these are unofficial podcasts so he’s not going to go too in depth so as not to reveal something he shouldn’t. Further, because they’re not official, I highly doubt he wants to or is going to pester SEGA to screen his answers, nor do I think SEGA would humour such a request. Additionally, screening every single question beforehand to make sure he can answer with more than knowing smile would be a logistical nightmare, even moreso if refunds were to be issued based on that. Ian gives what he can in the way of an answer and uses knowing smile as a shorthand to indicate when there’s more that he can’t talk about (yet). I think suggesting he does that for attention sorely mischaracterises him.

19. Levi Church

Levi Church

Flynn also said recently he is going to start using the hashtag less often because he knows some people in the fandom really don't like it. I still like the hashtag personally because it makes it clear that he is under an NDA and can't say something very quickly.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Honestly? As someone who is kind of bothered by it, it really is an optics thing. Just the fact that the phrase is "knowing smile" sets off some switch in my brain that makes it feel like I'm being condescended to, even though I know I'm not. Must be something in the ol' autism brain, I dunno. Legitimately just making an acronym for "I can't talk about it yet" (ICTAIY? Eh needs work) would make all of these problems slip away.