don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    We still don't know how the pink-haired woman will appear in-game (if she ends up appearing in the first place).

Edit: More or less what Shady said lol

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I think humans in Sonic games are fine, but I also think they're a crutch for what could be new and interesting animal character ideas. Imagine if Knuckles had been a human instead, and how much more boring that would seem.

That said, yes, I will gladly take this over the Unleashed human design any day. Oh god.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I didn't explain myself, my bad.

What I meant is I don't think this anime style will be the human-looking, precisely because I don't think she and the pinky haired girl look alike.
    upload_2022-6-28_22-57-8.png

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, I think they fit together just fine. The age difference and 2D vs. 3D art difference probably does a lot. Regardless, you have to admit Purple looks more like Sage than she does Professor Pickle to her left there.

Anyway, HQ Sonic render:
    [​IMG]
    He looks a little more like that nice Colors Ultimate render than Forces (and certainly better than the bad Sonic 4 model), but I'm having trouble placing that facial expression. He's not quite frowning, but definitely not smiling. He looks like he's really urgently forgetting what he was just talking about.

5. Would be not surprised if that render'd got used for the game cover.

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Her design is a little alien. I like it.

7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    It's a really nice model, but the pose just makes it look ugly as fuck.
    Posing and lighting is everything when it comes to these renders, for example, this render is using the Sonic 4 model everyone hates but still looks amazing because of dynamic posing and lighting.
    I do like the model itself though, the detail on Sonic's gloves and cuffs are welcome but I sincerely hope this render won't be on the cover or anything important like that.

8. _Sidle

_Sidle

Sage and TailsTube-Lady look perfectly in-style with each other to me, though all I really have to go off of it the eyes, as well as general familiarity with how stylized anime/cartoon characters translate to models.
    (here's literally the only two images we have of them again but at a slightly higher res lol)

upload_2022-6-28_22-11-52.png

Bear in mind we're also looking at a 2D adult(?) vs a 3D child which are very different proportionally (as they should be). It'd help if we were looking at a 2D child and a 3D child, or a 2D adult and a 3D adult.

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Honestly, now I'm looking through Sonic 4, Unleashed, and Colors Ultimate renders and discovering I have no fucking clue how to tell which model is which. Everything except this Unleashed render has pointier ears and that weird "sleeve" thing going on with his arms, but the Colors Ultimate one has a much more distinct fur texture. The new one also seems to have slightly smaller eyes and ears, and his muzzle also seems to have a harsher cleft near his nose? Ugh, it's really difficult to differentiate between them. Like you said, I guess posing is everything.

10. Sonic's designs have been all over the place. SAGE looks fine tbh.

Sonix established having humans a long time ago, kind of too late to put the genie back in the bottle now and Forces just really fucking weird having no humans period despite it being a global takeover.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    New screenies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing too exciting, but we see another ninja enemy in a different spot, Sonic gets rings from an orb, and there's uh...blue hoops? Dash rings? I dunno.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    man I know this makes me Ancient but god I wish we could get Bendy Sonic again. we have the 3D tech now, make him Adventure-like you cowards

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I love Chao World Extended, especially the stat boost features. I hope if there is a Chao Garden they actually add a lot of those quality of life features and cosmetics.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I don’t want to see Sonic Adventure graffiti art levels of bendiness, but I do agree that his arms and legs should bend like pipe cleaners rather than rigid joints. Better yet, switch between the two depending on what’s called for. If it’s done right, people won’t be able to see it in a way that’s jarring.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    It doesn't matter how Sonic's limbs bend, only that his animations use actual squash-and-stretch...because that's a major principle of animation. Everyone dogged on Rise of Lyric for having the cheap-out dialogue scenes, but when that game actually had animation in its cutscenes, it was more expressive and fluid than...uh, every other Sonic game ever released, I guess.

16. candlesonfir3

candlesonfir3

That highway cyberspace level might be one of my favorite sonic levels ever from an aesthetic standpoint, the busy and somewhat abstract roads going in every direction in the background with those streaks of light is just.. the exact kind of thing I wanna see from a Sonic level. Abstract based on real concepts. I dig it so much.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. I've never got why people get so upset over Sonic having humans in it, when Mario has walking talking toadstools and a walking talking turtle, who wants to hump a human princess. That's to overlook in the original design Sonic had a human girlfriend or the fact that having a bipedal Blue Hedgehog that can faster than the sound barrier is utterly preposterous on its own, but hey lets look over that and moan about Sonic, being on earth, being able to talk and who like's girls...

Still, the more I see of Sonic Frontier the better it's getting. I think it be very much like Halo Infinite, when you get past all the 'trademark' hate, its going to be a bloody good game and a joy to run around the open world

18. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

I second that:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

I am biased, but I think anime characters work well with Sonic characters. It worked in Sonic X and continues to work in Pokemon and such.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    This actually proves what I was saying pretty well, as this Sonic art (well, the original it's based off of) is from a distinctly different era of Uekawa's artwork, where Sonic is already more rigid and angular than he was in the Adventure era. He's still got great gestures and posing, but this is not "bendy Sonic". Barring something genuinely flawed, what's most important with a Sonic design, or a Sonic model, is how you use it.