don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    GET BLUE BALLS

[​IMG]

Edit:
    https://manuals.sega.com/origins/en/?pid=14

The last page of the manual mentions the use of the dedicated super transform button, but only mentions Super Tails in context of having all super emeralds, so no Super Tails with chaos emeralds outside of cheats.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  2. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

Tails requiring an extra set of Emeralds was a weird thing that I still find dumb.

3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Confirmation that the Knuckles in Sonic 2 level select code (up, up, up, down, down, down, left, right, left, right) is how you access Sonic 2's level select in Origins:

Also shows S1 & 3K level select.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. RibShark

RibShark

• Like Like x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    the intro and the loop are still weird and unsavory.

kinda impressive that less than 24hrs after we hear the tracks for the first time fans have already done a better job than Jun fucking Senoue.

also:
    - Sonic 3's invincibility theme loops at 10 seconds
    - Sonic & Knuckles' invincibility theme loops at 11 seconds
    - Jun's theme loops at 20 seconds
    - Mania's super theme loops at 36 seconds
    just a fyi

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. It still feels a little too much like Sonic 4 for my tastes, but it is a major improvement, yeah.

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I know what you mean, although I mostly give the above a pass since it sort of fits in the context of S&K and would have used those instruments, but it's a such a huge pet peeve of mine. This post right here is what gets to me..

This is just terrible. This is so generic it hurts (the second soundcloud link, just to be clear). Someone also posted a custom Ice Cap Zone song earlier in this thread from someone on Youtube, claiming it's better than what Sega's done here, but it's the exact same issue having this cheap "Sonic 4" sound. And the reason is because these songs depend on reusing FM patches from other songs that we're all so used to already, so it just becomes some weird amalgamation of known sounds for the sake of being "Sonic-y". But REAL Sonic songs always had unique instrumentation/patches in each level, they weren't just constantly reusing the exact same sounds from other levels or even previous games.

So many custom "Sonic" songs people make suffer from this. it's like if someone made new music with the Mario 64 soundfont. You're gonna instantly recognize those sounds, so any perceived originality kind of goes out the window because your brain is too tuned into what you're hearing already rather than appreciating it for being something new. You also see this same issue with anything touting itself to be a "Genesis remix" on Youtube, when all it is is replacing instruments with the same Genesis soundfont everyone else is using.

8. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    upload_2022-6-22_14-18-18.jpeg
    It's coming out this midnight in Asian countries, and the Philippines in particular.

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Hope we get more news on the concept art within the next day then. All this music talk is starting to wear on me yet I can't look away.

10. What, the manual are calling Chaos Emeralds "Esmeralda Chaos" instead of "Esmeralda do Caos" for the Brazilian manual. Chaos Emerald have been called "Esmeralda do Caos" by Brazilians for like 20 years... lol.

This is probably not a big deal, but it's still very weird. I'm still glad the manual is translated, tho'.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. RikohZX

RikohZX

If you mean this mix by Mastered Realm:

A big factor of the point was specifically to merge both Proto and Final Ice Caps together, so don't immediately go ranting about people's lack of originality.

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Nah it was some other fully original track someone made rather that mixing the two tracks together, don't wanna wade this thread to find it again. Not a fan of this type either, but this is going for something different than making new music that lacks originality, so it gets spared any further ranting :)

13. SiIvaGunner also did a similar thing with Carnival Night:

He also did a Act 2 of Proto theme even before the proto reveal:

14. Snowbound

Snowbound

On a totally unrelated note It seems a lot of people have been bringing up Sonic 4 on twitter... in an odd manner lmao:
    7FF63E7E-024C-4306-8D0B-97019D76D1B0.jpeg

15. Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone starts compare the music with the Classic songs in Forces as well.

...somehow, SOME Forces songs sounds better compared to what we got, even if it's for the very wrong reasons (I'm obviously not including Faded Hills on ths).

16. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I just checked on this thread after not using SR for the day being (something something first nations politics something neechie nokomis), and... wow, what in the world? The moment I step out this entire thread explodes.

So... the Sonic replacements. I didn't come in with too high expectations, but then I actually listened to the replacements. Immediately right off the bat, they just sound... oooooooofffffffffffffff. Like, "importing a orchestral MIDI through GXSCC" off. The Ice Cap tracks sound... okay? Like it's not much to write home about. But the Launch Base and Carnival Night tracks... WOW. The mixing and octaves are suuuuuuuuper off.

I'm speaking from the perspective of a sound designer who's touched soundfonts and soundchips and this makes me cringe. These are perfectly good organ and horn patches completely drowned out by being in the wrong octave... OUCH. In a tracker this literally could've easily been fixed with a simple CTRL+F4.

I'm hoping that music mods are going to come in swift for the PC, because I'm not getting near this until then. I'm content with my XBLA copies for the time being, thank you.

(also chill with the pitchforks, jun's sound design is bad but it isn't that bad, remember what walt disney told you kids, don't let the emotion jockey you)

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Wouldn’t surprise me if most of the text was machine translated.

18. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I may be a pervert, but I'm starting to like it...

I really want the S3 complete, with proto music and THIS!!!
    I'm a weird guy...

19. MastaSys

MastaSys

...That looks like machine translated text quirks.
    Not a good look i'd say.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Even the English version of the manual doesn't feel totally natural, hence the BLUE BALLS up top.