don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Quite enjoyed the combat showcase.
    Animations are looking a little stiff but otherwise it looks snappy and fast paced, which is what I'd want from a Sonic game.

Also loving the enemy design, especially that giant tower looking thing. It seems the stuff they drop when you defeat them refill the "wind attack" meter? (the leak had a name for that mechanic but I kinda forgot :p)

edit: the spin cycle, that's what it was. derp

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think that was a far more engaging showing than the exploration one to be honest. I can see why the initial leaker said combat is button mashy as I imagine the inputs themselves are fairly simple but it seems to me that there's a good amount of strategy and engagement here, particularly when the player used spin cycle to knock the huge dude off kilter to attack the feet and grab a collectible for their troubles. Animations do still look unfortunate in places but this combat actually looks pretty damn fun and I'm certainly glad for that, after the contest showing before.

EDIT: Does anyone else feel this is also a better showing for the graphics than on Wednesday too? Pop in and jitters didn't seem nearly as aggressive. Perhaps they're showing the game running on a range of platforms, but if that's the case then they ought to denote that.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

To me this footage looks more fun than the last footage. I like some of the moves Sonic has and the enemies seem to have more moves and defenses themselves. Not entirely complex but it's a moveset that makes sense for Sonic I think. I love how some of his moveset almost seems NiGHTs inspired.

That power up attack from a distance is a bit weird though, how do you get there teleporting?

Oh and confirmed, seagull can do more than T-pose :eng99: and Sonic has his idle animations back

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

The only thing I kind of like is the spin cycle. The rest of the combat looked very tedious to me.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I thought the combat looked pretty cool. There's a decent variety of attacks, and if there's a skill tree, there's probably more than what was shown. I liked how the giant robot made it a little harder to climb up its arms each time with the red barriers. A little rough, sure, but it looks like fun. Color me excited.

6. netscapenow

netscapenow

Combat looks pretty fun, even if the animations are janky as all hell. I'm not the biggest fan of combat in Sonic, but if the alternate is plowing through hordes of bowling pins while boosting or homing attacking from one to another over a bottomless pit, I'll take it.

7. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I agree on the combat actually looking fun. I kinda get Shadow of the Colossus vibes at the end of the video with those large beasts which is awesome.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound

The combat looks like it could be fun, especially the spin CYCLE. (edit I initially accidentally typed spin DASH .. man I’m still coping about that lol) I’ll be honest I’m worried that the most interesting moves are just automated animations

I need to see gameplay with the hud that doesn’t seperate the exploration from the combat. I feel like this game could have an interesting new gameplay loop (well new for Sonic) but I just can’t tell rn

9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Instead of collecting them Sonic should just throw his dropped rings at the enemies lmao

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Hope the enemies have a life bar that's hidden with the rest of the hud tho, I hate having to guess when enemies are close to being defeated.

11. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

My impressions are more positive than the last gameplay video, some of the combat looked cool.

But does Sonic really need combat? Also, the enemies have way too much health.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Combat looks nice. A little jank, but it doesn't look like it's pure button-mashing and has some creativity and variety, unlike the Werehog.

13. beenboybennett

beenboybennett

Sonic CD defender Member
    The combat looks simple yet fun, LOVE the attack where Sonic does a fuckton of hits quickly (if someone can tell me the offical term for that attack I'd be grateful lol). The animation still looks stiff asf though I really hope they polish it up soon.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's very possible you can level up strength so the enemies are eventually easier to take down. A lot of open world games that have skill trees and experience work like that.

Also was it just me or did the snippets of movement here look much more fluid than that of 2 days ago? Like the movement occasionally looked slower than usual but it looks like it controlled a bit better

15. VenomTH

VenomTH

I'm not a huge fan of a few things such as rings dropping from the character after he falls but overall I found the video more positive than the exploration one.

16. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    These two posts pretty much sum up my opinions. Combat looks interesting. Little janky still but could potentially be fixed by launch (possibly? Not entirely out of the realm of possibility but not guaranteed). Looks better than the werehog which I can't stand (the reason I haven't finished Unleashed). Not sure whether Sonic really needs combat, to be honest.

I'm hoping that there's a way to skip some of the combat of individual enemies. The big bosses look quite fun and interesting, but I don't think the individual enemies are that appealing to me personally. I hope that you're able to play in the way that you, as a player, want to play. I prefer the running around aspects, so having to stop to defeat a particular enemy doesn't sound that appealing to me.

Definitely a better trailer than yesterday. Still looks janky, but looks slightly more appealing.

17. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I'm pissed I couldn't see the cool robot destruction at the end because of the IGN logo

18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Lol so much for that.

The fight against the giant enemy was alright, but against the smaller enemies the combat looks incredibly tedious. Particularly the one you have to spin cycle first in order for it to become damageable. Reminded me of these things from Sonic Heroes that you had to flip over using the Blue Tornado ability before you could take them out.
    [​IMG]

I also don't like how one of the attacks seems to teleport both Sonic and the camera somewhere else entirely. Was jarring every time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Funny, two days ago I felt less down on the footage than most people seemed to, but today everyone's coming away from this footage with more positive feelings than I did. At a glance it feels like the Sonic Wind is most of what the combat has going for it, with much of the remainder appearing to be different flavors of fancy homing attack. Though maybe there will be more to it than that, considering things I've seen pointed out.

If nothing else, even if Frontiers is still just okay, the ideas on display kinda make me want a Sonic character action game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. >this place is more positive towards the combat.

What the fuuuuuu

I do like this footage better though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List