don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Apparently, Sonic Mania is split off from the timeline, not a separate world. So Classic Sonic happened to a point, then spun off to Sonic Mania.

2. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Not right now, but already more than 15 years ago.

I would be fine if now it was called Ragol or Naberius.

3. Pengi

Pengi

All we've heard from Sonic Team is that they're separate dimensions. When Iizuka was asked (pre Mania Plus) where Mighty was, he said that he is a Classic character who exists in the Classic world. Ian Flynn confirmed that the current rule is that Mighty and co. don't have Modern Dimension counterparts. If Mighty and co. simply don't exist in the Modern Sonic dimension, then the differences between the Modern and Classic dimensions go beyond a simple timeline branch after S3&K.

4. I see this notion that Mania and Forces retconned how Generations presented Classic Sonic, and I've mostly refrained from countering it... but I really don't view at as a retcon in the slightest. Time is a dimension, and Modern exists in the dimension of then-present modern times, while Classic Sonic hails from the past. He's still the same Sonic, but only one Sonic originates in each dimension/time period, therefore the younger Sonic can be referred to as belonging to/coming from an alternate dimension relative to his modern form.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    No, it's been mentioned as being a split timeline. We had a whole discussion about this exact thing, actually, about how this would cause confusion about why X thing isn't canonical to the Modern Timeline, but is to the Classic Timeline. Thank you for being an example that I was correct with my concern.

6. Pengi

Pengi

I've seen that. It's a vague response. "That's the direction I've been given" - is Ian referring to the existence of the two separate dimensions in general, or the fan theory that it's due to time travel in Sonic Generations? In other Bumblekasts Ian said that there is no official explanation for the change in Classic Sonic's status. And if it's just a time travel thing, then why don't Mighty or Fang exist in Modern Sonic's world? What prevented them from being born? Did something splinter the timeline 16 years ago?

There's a lot of ambiguity, a lot that hasn't been explained, and might never be explained. Maybe Tails Tube will have to cover it.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  7. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

That's a fair point. I didn't intend to suggest that Sonic "can't" exist on an Earth that differs greatly from the real world. There's no obligation to move away from Earth, from my perspective.

But that's the thing- there clearly is some kind of change happening. Ian's comment invites a fair bit of speculation, especially since the abandonment of the "two worlds" would be the perfect time to explicitly give the planet a name, if so desired.

With all due respect, I think introducing a new name (that isn't Earth or Mobius) would be the worst of both worlds (ha). In my opinion, there are already enough preexisting options to choose from. So I suppose I was trying to figure out why people okay with not calling it Earth wouldn't want it to be called Mobius either.
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with this. It would feel a little alien if Eggman was described as trying to "conquer Mobius" or something. But, at least to me, saying "conquer Earth" feels about equally weird. Maybe the generic "this world/the world" is the best option after all?

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Thing is, Classic Sonic was from a different dimension during Forces and that retconned to Generations. So even in Generations, Classic Sonic was from another dimension, even if the game itself says otherwise.

Apparently they are shifting to a split timeline, probably because it's a not-that-bad explanation when compared to different dimensions. But the cast still has classic-exclusive and modern-exclusive characters, because it was not updated yet. Things are in motion.

9. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I've never felt a problem with calling the planet Earth. I think it's fun to see surreal, fantastical versions of Earth in media, with twists on familiar landmarks and locations. The existence of supernatural, mystical, and otherwise-impossible stuff on Earth is incredibly cool to me. Waiving it away as just being some alien planet full of absurdity is a bit less cool to me.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Or they could not be dumb and just keep it a single timeline.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

It takes time to undo things. The two-worlds concept lasted 12 years.

12. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Maybe they died. :V

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I just hate it's gotten to this point in the first place. We didn't need either concept. Mobius died with the Sonic Adventure games, when the games confirmed themselves Earth. We don't need another timeline where we're trying to figure out why this thing happened in the Modern Timeline, but not in the Classic Timeline. Just put them back together, make some Classic Sonic games set before Sonic Adventure, and we're golden.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Re: Classic/Modern characters not existing in Modern/Classic worlds - I think it’s not so much that they pooped out of existence or died as much as it’s just a branding decision. In-universe they’re probably out there somewhere, but you aren’t going to see them. It’s something you’re just not supposed to think about.

On the subject of Mobius, was that part about it being Sonic’s World’s equivalent of Mars from that old 4chan Sonic Bible leak ever confirmed? I was wondering about what the Japanese story for Spinball was the other day after seeing the Veg-o-Fortress model in Origins, so I checked out the manual on the wiki. Interestingly enough, it says that Eggman is trying to take over the peaceful planet Mobius, but never says it’s where Sonic lives. So to anyone unfamiliar with the US/UK continuity (IE 99% of the people who would be reading the manual), Eggman is trying to take over another planet and Sonic goes there to stop him. Spinball isn’t canon of course, but I wonder if that plot element remained.

While I’m at it, here’s my (slightly rough) translation of the prologue section of the JP Spinball manual:

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Pengi

Pengi

An archive of the 4chan thread: https://web.archive.org/web/20150725030934/https://archive.moe/v/thread/300121994/#300133405

I don't think it was ever confirmed whether or not this was true. However, a couple of months afterwards, GeneHF had this to say about Sonic bible stuff: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...d-sonic-team-mobile.33831/page-57#post-833511

16. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Outside of trying to bridge Sonic Spinball to the rest of the series in some way (why would you desire to do that when you don't care to do the same for Chronicles) I don't know why they'd bother to clarify Mobius as a distinct third planet aside from to spite the old international bible.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I would argue they don't (didn't) want the planet to be called Mobius precisely to not get confused with the American cartoons.

18. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    Sonic snowboards on the pavement in San Francisco. He lives on Earth.

As far as the aging continuity or lack thereof goes, I'm of the opinion that Generations was a mistake. It's the only game that implied the design changes were an in universe thing, which contradicted the previously established continuity.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Arguably Pocket Adventure, too, though that's much less important of a game.

20. Pengi

Pengi

In Pocket Adventure they simply forgot (or didn't bother) to update Eggman's in-Egg Mobile sprite, since it was just his head and shoulders. In Gigantic Angel Zone Act 2 you get Adventure Eggman in the cut-scene, then Classic Eggman in the boss machine, then Adventure Eggman again when he runs away.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List