don't click here

Anyone else think the Sonic Riders series deserves another shot?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Much like the topic title says, do you think the Riders series deserves a 2nd chance? I've been feeling some nostalgia towards the 1st game lately and gave the Sonic Riders DX hack a shot and it's pretty fun! I haven't touched Riders since the days I owned a GameCube, so it was an interesting revisit. It's a unique racing game at the very least, maybe it could stand for some more typical kart racer items but overall it's a neat concept with a nice surrounding future aesthetic and a pretty great soundtrack. It was also, imo anyway, the best looking Sonic game of the GC/PS2/Xbox era. I'd argue that it's art style alone makes it look better than 06 too, certainly more expressive.

I never played Zero Gravity and the series died when they tried to use the fucking Kinect to control Free Riders, but I think a reboot that refines the original game's mechanics would be welcome, especially since then we've gotten 3 sumo kart racers with the last one being very... meh. But what do you all think? It's been I think 10 years since the stink that was Free Riders? I think enough time has passed that if they were serious about it they could redeem the series.

2. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    Hell yeah, I'd love to see a new Riders game! If they do make one I really want them to try and push the in-game artstyle to match the 2D artwork that the first game had
    [​IMG]
    I think a cel-shaded artstyle could look really cool for a Sonic game.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya that's true too the 1st game's promotional art direction was just fantastic. Literally the only modern Sonic game I can think of that didn't just use renders or adventure style shading and it's exactly what I wish this series would do more, put some of those unique experimental Sonic Channel art styles into the games themselves.

4. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    And just like the Bashing threads from a while back, we're gonna see a whole slew of these, aren't we? Tempted to make one for Shadow as a joke, but I'm not bored enough.

Eh, Riders was OK. I wouldn't be against the idea, but I'd probably skip it.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey least it's positive? Idk there are a lot of games from that era I don't think deserve a revisit, I hated Heroes (well, the team concept could be revisited but with a lot of changes to the level designs and physics), Shadow, and 06, then the story book games that younger fans just fawn over for some reason since apparently Black Knight has a "fantastic story." Riders was a bit of an oddity in that era.

6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I've never played the Riders series, though I've seen a bunch of videos of gameplay (Clement's pops in my head right now).

To me, it looks like the story is a ton of fun, the art direction is amazing, but the gameplay is... meh. Speaking of Riders and Riders ZG, because the third one is unplayable.

I really think the hoverboard suits Sonic better than a car, but I was not impressed by the gameplay and I don't know what could be done to improve it. I mean, I would cut the air-meter out because I think it's stupid, cut the gravity thing because is more boring than useful, and maybe put some weapons like the Racing series. But I don't know if this would be enough.

7. Nemu

Nemu

YOU ARE GREAT. WE ARE FREE. Member
    Personally, I loved the Sonic Riders series. I still play the original on Windows (which thankfully has a widescreen patch available). I'm curious how the public reaction would be, though. How many people would actually be interested? That may be what's holding SEGA back. Still, something that would be interesting to see.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe the air meter could be replaced with a boost meter? Obviously it couldn't be too OP, and the original game kinda has a boost function, but if the controls were more like a Generations/Riders hybrid I think that could be a good direction for the series. Also that way if you run out of boost, you'd just ride the board til it fills up more, rather than jumping off and running til you find an air pit stop

A boost function on a hoverboard makes more sense than Sonic... idk concentrating? Plus it'd explain why other characters could boost. They're not doing it the hoverboard is (or the bike or Shadow shoes)

Also I think Free Rider's failure was what had Sega shelve the series, but it was less the series that was the issue and more that game was a dumpster fire.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  9. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    A faithful remake with stages from ZG and FR could be fun, think Crash Team Racing Remake.

I liked Riders. It tried something new, different - and it was a blast to play.

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I enjoyed the original Riders, but Zero Gravity took out the skill that made the first one fun, and Free Riders was a complete joke.

I liked the ability to ride another player's wake. It made you have to strategize when to use the boost because someone else could use your turbulence to pass you up. It's an idea I'd never seen before in a common kart racer. While Riders wasn't great, it gets points in my book for being original.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. corneliab

corneliab

The thing that I remember most about Riders is being able to unlock a gear that lets you use Super Sonic. That was especially notable, for me at least, during a time where Super Sonic was only getting relegated to final boss battles.

...but holy crap was that some difficult shit to obtain. I couldn't do it. In fact the whole game was kinda shocking in how cutthroat and unforgiving it was.

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    No, but Sonic R does. :V

I'm not kidding. I'm still a little salty over the Team Sonic Racing teaser getting my hopes up like this.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya what a cock tease that was.

14. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Kidding or not, they'd have to add and rebalance (EDIT: FUCK YOU AUTOCORRECT) so much to make Sonic R worthwhile that they probably don't see it as worthwhile. There's a reason CD was the most prominently shown-off game in Gems Collection.

15. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

Sonic R is great. Honestly it's an engine that I think would make a great sonic game. Yes there are issues with it, but seriously why do we have half a dozen racing games that involve automobiles when Sonic is a series that obviously lends itself to foot-racing?

And considering Team Sonic Racing was just part 3 in the kart-racing series, why go through the PR of teasing the R from Sonic R? It was disingenuous to the point of being rude.

16. Forte

Forte

Poland
    I wish I could feel the sunshine again. Sonic R-emake would be amazing. Imagine how this game would look today, with modern graphics.

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Sonic R is perfect as it is. Do not touch it.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Riders is a difficult game to understand the fun of without playing it, and the original was fantastic. I liked Zero Gravity enough but it does feel like a bit of a downgrade, skill-wise.

Ungravitify though. Goddamn.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

true

20. Forte

Forte

Poland
    Zero Gravity was okay, but it felt... I don't know how to put it... Darker? More serious in tone?

First Riders had this industrial-funky-techno feel, and Zero Gravity lost it.