Anyone else think the Sonic Riders series deserves another shot?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    Sonic Riders is great. I feel like it was unfairly hated when it first released because of a knee-jerk reaction to "Sonic on a hoverboard?!", focusing on that aspect alone, and then judging it by the quality of it's peers. Out of the 2000's third party era, it's honestly one of the few console games that actually holds up - Heroes is a slippery mess, 06 is... 06, and Shadow is Shadow, and Secret Rings doesn't play well until you've finished the game. Adventure 1 DX and 2 Battle both have their own issues - issues that still muddle their reception today.

It was unique compared to other mascot racers and imo, was an incredibly solid racing game. It did have a difficulty curve to it with a ton of mechanics to understand: your air gauge, the slipstream mechanic, how ramps worked, tricks, the different racer types, all alongside dealing with the different track hazards they threw in there. But once you get over the learning curve? I feel like it rivals SaSASRT in terms of fun. Was it perfect? Not really - there's bugs, the story is pretty generic, the handling takes some time to get used to (it doesn't handle like a kart racer, handling closer to games like Wipeout), and the skill floor needs to be lowered some to help ease people into the game.

I haven't played Zero Gravity (although that's on my list of games to play), but the original is fantastic, and it gets slept on because people think it's another Shadow. It's one of the few games I come back to every so often to play through and I honestly hope that the original gets remade in the future with online multiplayer.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    No. Just give me a new Sonic racing game that feels like a Sonic racing game.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    You're not going to hear me say no to a Sonic R successor either. Both would be fun imo

4. Maybe a mixture of both (no idea HOW it would work tho...)?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well Riders did have shoes as gear. You essentially skated like Shadow. I think many of the gimmicks from Riders could be compatible with Sonic R, drifting, speed, fly, and power routes (grinding, fly rings, obstacles), tricks, boosting, attacks, items. As long as the levels don't involve a ton of flying I think the two could be pretty compatible with each other (maybe they could each have their pros and cons, running gives you more control but less speed, boards give you more speed but harder controls, something like that)

6. Riders is definitely a Sonic take on the racing genre, focusing on the XTREME stuff and all. Its as 2000's as you can get.

First game has a very learning curve, which might explain why it never quite took off. It took me quite a few days to actually get the hang of it, because you WILL lose if you do not get the mechanics down. I lost so many races in the campaign mode because of that when that's meant to be the easy part lol. Just wish I had more people to play it with....

The story is typical for the series at the time, but its very charming. Especially how the Babylon story contextualizes stuff in the Hero side. This is definitely 4Kids at its worse tho in terms of voice acting.

Didn't get ZG, but I never heard anything good about it so maybe I dodged a bullet.

7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    This reminds me of a post from just after Sonic 06's initial reveal, where someone said, "There you go. Riders for the kiddies, this for the fans. Ironic he's being used as the killer app for a non-sega console."

Just you wait...

But yeah, I do think there was a degree of resentment from some older fans that the series we'd all grown up loving as children was targeting CHILDREN as its primary demographic, and we lacked the perspective to have any self-awareness about it, haha. I don't really even remember much in the way of discourse about Riders, so I'm guessing a lot of folks in the periphery demographic ignored it. We were too busy getting our hopes up for Sonic 06 as the savior of the series.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Don't go thinking that's just us Sonic fans. I've seen tons of fanbases of older properties that feel the same way.