don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    2P Online? Hell they even got that Crap 360 port to have it, but then again from what I heard they were using something equivalent of GENs Netplay.

Still, its an experence I'll miss if it is gone.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I agree with everyone that mentioned the file save complaint. I hated the weird save system with Sonic CD's 2011 remake.

3. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    We're not omitting any features from the original game. But beyond that I can't give you details.

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I choose to interpret this as meaning there is a 2P racing mode, but Sonic and Tails share a single set of controls, making it effectively single player.

5. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Come on guys, the Genesis ROM version of the game already available on the App Store has Bluetooth multiplayer, it's gotta be similar for this.

6. Iceguy

Iceguy

グー! Member
    Hell. It's in my head.
    Internal system recovery
    I remember reading a thread where people discussed how literally last minute Super Sonic was; that they included it just a couple of days before release, which is why the 'all Emeralds' cheat code doesn't make sense (as opposed to the codes that are birth dates and stuff), and why such seriously gamebreaking things like the signpost transformation and the pit went completely overlooked. They had no time at all to test that stuff.

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    2p Versus - Everyone's a winner edition! :v:

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    What I'm looking forward to is having 2P mode available for more stages Chemical Plant, Aquatic Ruin. I think they could even work Wing fortress into it if they really wanted to.

What would be even cooler is if there was some backward compatibility with Sonic 1 to include 2P races for those stages as well.

9. Vinchenz

Vinchenz

Yo! Hustle! Hustle! Member
    Ah, many thanks for looking into it! I knew there was some sort of limitation with the engine that would make it not work, yet surprisingly they looked into it and fixed the problems but added in the spikes anyway. XP

Edit: For 2P mode, the mode that would make the most sense to me is having two people play opposite to each other (as in standing in front of each other looking down on the one tablet/phone). It would be most comfortable with a phone than tablet but I could see it working.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I would interpret a "2P Player Mode" as meaning TWO PEOPLE ON THE SAME SCREEN. Online multiplayer would still be 1P as far as I'm concerned.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Yeah, cos that sounds like it would work great on a tiny phone screen :v:

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    -Set the phone vertically between two people.
    -Divide the screen in two.
    -Each half-screen faces each player.
    -Small D-pad + Button at the bottom of each screen.

That could work with any decent sized phone, and would be a great 2 player system for tablets (like an old "cocktail table" arcade).

Else, I guess a "Vs. ghost" mode would do. =|

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    You got ALL of the levels working in multiplayer, didn't you. :specialed:

In before I send everyone foaming at the mouth. EXCITING SKY CHASE ACTION!

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm curious if more 2P levels are available now. I figure that Hill Top and Chemical Plant would be hard to do, but, say, Oil Ocean? Aquatic Ruin? Probably not too hard in comparison since the water-palette issue isn't really a thing in this port.

'Course I'd love to see a PC version that doesn't quite stretch the graphics out so bad either (even if Emerald Hill was obviously designed to look "right" that way)

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    [​IMG]

Remember the arguments about whether the colour ending existed or not? Wondering whether it will make a re-appearance.

Also:

Does Ashura constitute a "feature" from the original game?

16. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    If this is true...

[​IMG]

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    ^This. Yeah I know it was a bit dumb but hell if I didn't like changing sonic's pallete green and having everything have a blue outline.

18. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    A phone, sure, thats some screen real estate that wouldn't be worth it.

My ten inch tablet on the other hand welcomes any two player multiplayer action on one screen. Its why I bought the thing in the first place.

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It would be really great if purchasing Sonic 2, unlocked 2p mode in Sonic 1 and Sonic CD (and the potential Sonic 3 port). This is something I've always wanted to see, as the Sonic levels are perfect for 2P racing.
    Obviously, it might not work so well on mobile, but it would be an ace feature if these re-makes appear on consoles.
    Perhaps they could do it as DLC to recoup the costs of implementing.

20. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    I've always liked the original monochrome colors over the colored one, it seems to kinda add up to the ending music.
    It would be ok however to have the color ending happen along with the all emeralds ending and vise versa.

I personally can't see these remakes get a console release though, since they already have ports of Sonic 1 and 2 on them.
    But if it ever happens though, it better be called something like "Lock-on Technology DLC pack"