don't click here

Minecraft x Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JcFerggy, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I was not sure if this news is worthy of its own thread, but it seems like Sega is doing a crossover with Minecraft for the anniversary.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    It looks great, I wish Sonic games were this proud about their heritage. They obviously nostalgia bait a lot, but I don't know how to express it, when other companies use the Sonic brand, they seem to be a lot more proud and sincere about the series' legacy than Sonic Team is.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Yeah I've never played Minecraft (not even want to), but this trailer looks really really good.

4. Swiftbix

Swiftbix

Deep Delver Member
    I’m impressed and kind of shocked
    that not only are they using the modern designs, but they’re also referencing more than just the classics. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Happy Birthday :P

upload_2021-6-22_14-29-43.png

6. Taylor

Taylor

Minecraft is sooooo ugly to me

This is neat though. Funny that Chao came back to something like this long before mainline

7. eldarin

eldarin

My mind is blown they not only referenced shadow the hedgehog, what I assume was an advance special stage but also actually used the modern designs for once. Great job to whoever spearheaded this, it looks fantastic!

8. MH MD

MH MD

Sonic Team had a whole game dedicated to celebrate the series legacy that had ton of love and respect to the whole series. even 2006.
    Then after 6 years of it, while not Sonic Team, we still got Sonic Mania that also celebrated the classic games legacy, even having references to game gear titles, and even having deep cuts like Ray and Mighty.

I would fault SEGA for a lot of things, but respecting their legacy is not one of them, like, i don't see a single thing in that -cool- Minecraft trailer that make me think "oh wow they respect sonic more than SEGA!"

9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm not a huge Minecraft player myself, but this looks surprisingly fun, if a bit unexpected.

And another classy Sonic crossover. I wonder who's gonna download this? Will this bring new fans to the series? Kinda funny to think about it lel

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think that’s closer to the Chaotix bonus stages than Advance personally, but either way this looks cool. I’ve always had trouble stay invested in Minecraft, likely as a result of just how much scope the game gives you, but this looks fantastic so I’ll probably jump back in.

11. _Sidle

_Sidle

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Hey, looks like we can keep chao, what a novel concept ='D

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Bedrock only. I'll pass.

As for those going "ZOMG IT'S NOT CLASSIC DESIGNS HOW AMAZING!!!111" - you're aware that Modern is still the mainline series, yes? Just because Classic has been selling well in merch etc of late and had the better rated title vs Forces doesn't mean this has changed. Also TSR, the most recent game, was Modern, so I dunno why y'all are making such a shock over it. I'm not surprised it's the modern designs.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What a ridiculous lovely thing lol

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I agree. Maybe it's a personal feeling. We're happy to see Sonic in other franchises, as if it's a sign of respect for Sonic, and we're saddened by the way Sonic games have been produced, as if it's a sign of disrespect. But again, I think it's just the feeling, not the reality.

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    @Overlord Whats up with Bedrock Edition?

17. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

Ontopic. Seems cool. Square chao

Its like those are selling points.

It would be extremely wild if say the company that owns this ip hasn't understood why people like aspects of it for over a decade. And every single time someone else gets their hands on it even in parody situations, it's generally better than what they do unless the Ip owner exerts control over the media and makes it worse. Because people not apart of its ownership can do due diligence and see why people like things.

But this is purely hypothetical. No one would do this I'm sure.

18. Trickster's Joke

Trickster's Joke

If you mean gens that was almost a decade ago and since has not really done anything like that for anything outside of classic. And in many ways has done litterally the opposite *points to comic shadow*.

I can totally understand people having this take and to suggest it came from nowhere after the weirdness that was forces is strange to me

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Why is this the 1st time any of these characters save for Sonic and Shadow are playable in a non boom context since 2006 though? That's what bums me out. Also racing against friends in 3D levels.

Add these features to your own damn games Sega don't just leave it up to Minecraft

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    This looks fun. I'm playing it.