don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I'm with 4. You don't need a clock next to a timer, unless you are too stupid to understand, that it is a timer. And I love these round icons.

2. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I say 4, since it looks more like the actual Heroes HUD and I like the round icons. Coincidentally in my Sonic 1 hack I currently have the timer and rings the same way 4 has, and even the score too to make it more Adventure 2 like XD

3. Yuzu

Yuzu

It's more like the original Sonic Heroes HUD, plus it has a timer long enough to be useful for speedruns and no useless timer icon. :P

4. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    4, because the round icons look nicer IMO, and the clock is ugly as sin.

5. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Yeah, pretty much what he said.

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Number 4 please, k thx bye.

7. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    NUMBER FOUR! :V

8. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Two. Round icons are for sissies. Sissies.

9. One more vote for 4! The round icons look cool.

10. gold lightning

gold lightning

Number 4 looks best to me. I don't like the clock in the others, but I do like the round life icons.

11. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    My vote's on 4. Shadic's idea is pretty neat too, though, if it's feasible.

12. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

I vote for 4 since I think that the round icons reflect Sonic Heroes better, and the clock icon is kind of unnecessary in my opinion.

13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    I like 4. =P

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Make it so the active character's icon is on bottom though...

15. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    Why bottom? Makes more sense to me that it would be on top. It was on bottom in Heroes, but that's because that part of the GUI was on the top of the screen.

16. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    So far, the score tally is this:
    Code (Text):
    1. HUD       Count
    2.  #1          1
    3.  #2          3
    4.  #3          1
    5.  #4         16
    6. Shadic's    2
    The clear winner is HUD #4. Shadic's idea is sadly hard to implement; rotating the icons will require loads of graphics for each step of the way, whereas the round and square icons only need adjustments in position. And while the mini score text looks interesting (and even possible to increase in width by another 4 pixels without increasing tile count), it will look out of place without the clock.

So, now I have some new polls:
    First is a simple yes/no question: should I use these Super Sonic life icons? [​IMG]
    These are based off of the Super Sonic life icon from a Cylent Nite Super Sonic sheet. And yes, the eyes are green.

Second is more involved: which of the following variations of the basic HUD would work best?
    [​IMG]
    I prefer the more compact layout from rows 3 and 4; and I prefer the columns with milliseconds for the timer (B, D, F, H, I, J). The ones I like the most are B3, D3, I4 and J4, with J4 being the closest to the original Heroes HUD. But I can't decide which one. (and yes, adding the one extra digit to score for columns I and J is easy).

For the ASM heads out there that are thinking of implementing the, or have already implemented a, millisecond-accurate timer, here is a neat trick for you. If you used the (naïve) approach:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     ; Naïve approach
    2.     moveq   #0,d1
    3.     move.b  (Timer_frame).w,d1         ; Load timer frames
    4.     mulu.w  #1000,d1                   ; *** Multiply by 1000 for millisecond resolution
    5.     divu.w  #60,d1                     ; *** Divide by 60 to map the result to [0-999] interval
    then there is a faster way to do it. The code marked with *** takes 198 clock pulses over 6 read cycles. Using the magic constant $10AE82, this can be done much faster without a division. Because the m68000 does not allow multiplication of 2 32-bit numbers, this has to be broken up into a multiply by $AE82 and another by $10 shifted one word up. The final code is this:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     ; Using magic numbers
    2.     moveq   #0,d1
    3.     move.b  (Timer_frame).w,d1         ; Load timer frames
    4.     move.w  d1,d2                      ; *** Copy timer frames
    5.     asl.w   #4,d2                      ; *** This is a part of the high word
    6.     mulu.w  #$AE82,d1                  ; *** Magic constant
    7.     swap    d1                         ; *** Divide by 2^16
    8.     add.w   d2,d1                      ; *** And now d1 = int(Timer_frame * 1000 / 60)
    9.     andi.l  #$FFFF,d1                  ; *** Clear high word, needed for standard HUD rountines
    The code marked *** takes 100 clock pulses over 10 read cycles; this means it is just about twice as fast, despite being longer.

Edit: Moreover, the magic constant $42B is even better for the range of interest (0-59), resulting in the following code:
    Code (ASM):
    1.     moveq   #0,d1
    2.     move.b  (Timer_frame).w,d1         ; Load timer frames
    3.     mulu.w  #$42B,d1                   ; *** Magic constant
    4.     lsr.w   #6,d1                      ; *** And now d1 = int(Timer_frame * 1000 / 60)
    which clocks at 70 clock pulses over 3 read cycles for the code marked with ***.

Edit: Should have been lsr instead of asr in the last code box. Fixed.

17. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I3, I4, J3, J4... I can't decide either =/

I won't bore you by explaining my reasons so I'll just pick J3. I do think you should add the black outline to the gray zeros like the rest of the golden numbers. They look off without it.

Yes, use the super icon, please.

18. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I prefer the equal vertical spacing of rows 1 and 2, and the right alignment of columns A, B, E, F, and I.

Not a big fan of the blue leading zeroes, I think they'd look better left out, or the same color as the rest of the numbers.

19. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'm going to go with I4. Looks the best IMO.

20. Miles3298

Miles3298

For the Super Sonic icon, sure - looks good.

For the HUD layout, I3 is my favorite.