don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    That's true, you're right. Even so, there was still so little done and, quite honestly, it's not much of an exciting stage to begin with. It probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

There was only an unfinished bit of level art made however. No level gimmicks, badniks or layouts (par a very small glitchy pathway) or anything else. They already had to take a lot of liberties with Hidden Palace to make it a unique finished level, and it had a lot more on the table from the get go.

I am interested to hear if the team found any more unfinished assets of the unused levels like they did with CD's R2 though. While there's likely a lot of new stuff put into Hidden Palace, I wonder if any of it was intended from the start.

3. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I for one welcome the addition of Windows 3.11 Background Zone.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The assets for Wood Zone looked so bad that I can't possibly think that they were anything but placeholders.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Wasn't there some leftover background scrolling data for wood zone found in S2 Rev00?

6. Hm, I don't recall hearing of anything offhand but if there was then surely it'd be in the betas that we have that were between the Wai prototype and Rev00?

Edit: New page, add quote of the post that I was replying to

7. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I just went and checked the Wiki, and it says there's "new background scrolling data" in Rev00. I've looked at Rev00 as well as the Wai proto and Beta 4 disassemblies, and as far as I can tell the data's the same across all three versions.

Even if that were the case, there's still a lot less to Wood Zone in the beta than there is to Hidden Palace. I wouldn't think it'd be considered for inclusion, personally.

8. Hi all,

Coming from somebody without an iOS/Android phone, is there any official word on whether or not Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (remastered by Taxman) are coming to PC?

I noticed today that Sonic CD (remastered) is in the Steam store, however Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are still their old 4:3 versions.

Thanks!

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nope, no word on that.

10. I'm willing to bet we'll see some kind of PC compilation of the two by Christmas when Sega feels like having some $$$.

And I hope next year we'll hear news they're working on Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The possibilities of that port are tremendous. I hope it happens!

11. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I would like a compilation Like Sonic & Knuckles Collection but with Sonic 1 & 2 added...

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I can't wait for the midi renditions of Sonic 1 & 2 songs! :specialed:

13. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Actually, on the subject of music, I'mma curious, Taxman:
    I'd been assuming that when getting Speed Shoes in these ports, the music was being sped up in real time, for which I could certainly understand the temporary discrepancy in Ogg/Wav quality. But those file lists people have posted show each Zone features a separate Fast version, correct? I assume handling the music remastering yourself, you'd be all over smooth-sounding Speed Shoe variants ala the original games directly 'in-studio' instead of applying a quick Audacity-style tempo increase after processing the standard-tempo versions.

Apologies if this comes off blunt or anything; I'm a bit tired to properly word it. I'd don't even consider myself an audiophile or anything, but I was quick to notice this. Nitpicks and all that. :specialed:

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Wasn't there some people making a point of them trying to iron out all the bugs in the game before they release these for the consoles being the most likely scenario here?

Taxman has been patching problems as soon as the bugs crawl out of the woodwork, so there are some bugs still in there. Be patient and I'm sure we'll get it on PC/Consoles soon enough.

15. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Seeing SEGA's left Generations leaderboards in that trainwreck state... I doubt they'd wait that long for a perfect version lol.

16. Sure, I didn't say anything to contradict that. I would assume the bugs would be ironed out by then.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    In that Sonic Boom behind the scenes video, there's a 4 : 3 version of Taxman and Stealth's Sonic 1 port.
    You can tell it's their port, because it says "Touch to Start" and "© 2013".

Does anyone know anything about this? Was it the beginnings of abandoned port? Or did they just take the regular widescreen version and crop it (which seems unlikely, as one would expect the score/rings/time info to be cut off. It could be possible only the title screen comes from the mobile version, but that seems very strange).

Is it possible to run the mobile version in a 4 : 3 mode?

18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    iPad?

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, that would have been captured from an iPad. All the Retro Engine remakes can run any aspect ratio between 4:3 to 16:9 depending on the mobile device.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Must be pretty cool to see your and stealth's versions to be the definative versions for SEGA to gleen footage off of now eh Tax?

Gives me hope that we will see 1, 2, and CD on current consoles soon enough.