Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I'm well aware of every piece of information you've presented there, and more. It doesn't mean Sega couldn't still port it to Windows Phone. Obviously it makes sense for them to target the top 95% of the market first. But that is done now. There's no harm in suggesting another platform version.

2. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    If anything, port to Maemo, Sailfish, Meego Tizen, FirefoxOS…

3. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    What about webOS, Symbian, BB10 and Ubuntu Touch? :specialed:

In all seriousness, let's not get into where the porting should occur. Fact is WinPhone has a pitiful market share. And to top it off, an even smaller number of people will actually buy the game. Ultimately, it would be money spent without any real gain in terms of money.

Ideally, this would be released...well, everywhere if possible, including consoles and PCs for those who want easy tactile controls (Yes, I'm not counting bluetooth controllers or the iOS controllers :v:). But we don't live in an ideal world, sadly.

I do feel for you though saxman.

4. SpeedStarTMQ

SpeedStarTMQ

UK
    Issue with the update to Sonic 1 on my Android Device: Gameplay is no longer visible, instead masked by a white screen. I can pause it and see, and I can play the game and hear the sounds, there's just a blank picture in game.

Who ya gonna call!?

Taxman, hopefully, please fix this buddy.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    That should have been fixed with 2.0.4. Are you running that version?

6. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    This seems to happen consistently if I quit during a special stage and start again from that save: once I get back from the special stage, I end up an act further on than I should be, either skipping act 2 or act 3 depending on whether I reached the special stage from act 1 or act 2. You can't skip any more acts by quitting and restarting multiple times, though; it's always just the one.

(Hey, my Bluetooth controller is laggy, it's not my fault I'm trying to game the system!)

Love the addition of completed saves, though.

7. SpeedStarTMQ

SpeedStarTMQ

UK
    It works now, thanks!

8. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I know that it has been mentioned a million times before, but I've seen Bluestacks run android games just fine on windows tablets. It is also what I use to run sonic 1, 2, and cd on my pc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNanrZzxfgM
    http://www.bluestacks.com

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Finished Sonic 2 with all emeralds now - being able to go back on a completed save to collect them helped, as I only had 6 by the point I got to the WFZ boss.

One quick question that's perhaps slightly off-topic - I'm thinking of picking up the Android version of Sonic CD too, as Sonic 1 and 2 seem to run fine on Bluestacks on my PC and I hear the mobile version of CD has had some updates compared to other versions. One quick question, though - does anyone know if there's the functionality to remove the virtual controls from the display, like there is in Sonic 1 and 2? Thought I'd better check, since Sonic CD is an earlier release and all, as having them there would really bug me when playing. If not, a question to Taxman/Stealth - would it be possible for this option to be added in a future update, to better match the functionality of later releases like Sonic 1 and 2?

10. Trunks

Trunks

AGAIN TRY Oldbie
    I still really wish Sega'd release this on Steam and Vita in a Sonic 1+2 Remastered collection or something. I've bought both on iOS and Android, and I know I'm not the only double dipper who'd pick it up.

11. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Speaking of - Tax/Stealth do you think all of the bugs are finally ironed out between 1 and 2? I'd love for you guys to be able to work on other things whether it be a console/PC release, another remaster, or something new entirely without having to come back to these.

12. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    I have a few questions. I don't know whether or not anyone's asked this yet, but is there any particular reason why stages like Wood Zone, Genocide City, etc. weren't included? Did these stages simply go the way of Egg Gauntlet, Desert Dazzle, and Final Fever, or were they never considered in the first place?

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I can't imagine them not having being considered. They were probably counted as possibilities at one point but given time/budget limits Hidden Palace took priority for obvious reasons, being that it's the most well known and most finished of the beta stages.

14. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Are Sonic 1 & 2 on the Ouya store yet?

15. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I doubt Genocide City and Wood Zone were considered. There were no assets to begin with apart from a mockup image of the former.

16. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Though it would be interesting to know if they had access to any of the original assets for the cut zones, like the R2 badniks and boss that Taxman posted. They obviously had some access considering those CPZ debug objects.

Also it's nice that diagonal movement is possible in debug mode now. Is there a list of everything the patches fixed?

17. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    You're saying that there were no assets of the Wood Zone? The Simon Wai beta kind of says otherwise. Sure, the level design and collision were very incomplete, but there was still plenty of assets for that stage. It was only the second Act of Wood Zone that was completely empty.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah but I don't think anyone's ever done a good job of getting that shit to tile, so I'm not surprised it got dropped.

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I think Wood Zone could've got completed, it had enough assets to start with and just like with HPZ whatever was needed could've been made. Genocide City on the other hand no, because all we got is theorys and write ups from past interviews on what it was supposed to be like, nothing actually written into code and seen.

Woodzoneforconsolereleaseexcusivekthx. :D

20. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    This has happened to me too on the updated Android version - didn't happen on my old pre-update playthrough, but since restarting the game on the after accidentally deleting my data this has now happened to me. I'd got three emeralds before updating the game - got the 4th on Marble Zone Act 2 and it's deposited me into Spring Yard Act 1. = S