don't click here

Retro-Sonic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Taxman, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Are you talking about the deformation effect on the text? or just the graphics themselves? if you're talking about the graphics, I've touched up the megadrive sprites using paint, and made my own gfx using photoshop and paint.

2. Kama

Kama

Sittin on my Bench, Watchin the sunset. Member
    Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    Becoming a freelance artist and writer
    This I can't resist.

Who the fuck even gives a shit? Both names are official so why bitch about it?

Telling someone to "calm down" when they speak the truth is an act of hypocrisy.

This is a fan game. You can't expect it to be 100% accurate. In fact, it's a demo and not even the finished product.

How sad for you.

I'm done.

Two thumbs up, Taxman. I've always love this game since it captures that true Sonic feeling. I look forward to the next release.

3. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    Yeah, I also noticed those very minor differences. However, instead of bitching, I worked around them... only real BIG bug is since there wasn't any scroll locking, you can go back and get yourself killed after you complete a stage...

Kinda off-topic, but I had the earlier demo, the one with Warehouse and Egg Garden as examples of 'home-cooked' stages (so I stole a JJ2 term... bite me), and I'm curious where you got the music for these levels (aside from Dust Hill, obviously)... that Warehouse tune kicks MAJOR ass, and I even decided to ADX it (though I tried the same for Egg Garden's, but couldn't find a suitable loop point).

If you could tell me if you made those, 'stole' 'em, or what, that'd be appreciated. Also, will there be support for looping formats like ADX or MOD/variants?

Thanks in advance.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Oh, there you are. Hehe

I see what my friends are talking about. You got competition man :P

I'm working with Stealth and Dr Ivo btw. Good luck with your demo!

5. Trigahd

Trigahd

I am your gahd!! Member
    Somewhere in the skies
    Nothing worth mentioning
    OMG YOU BROUGHT BACK THE SUPER PEEL OUT! I love you man! I hope I can play this, cause this game looks awesome.

Alright, game review:
    The game is mondo sweet. I like how you did everything, and the music is awesome. Everything seems well done, besides the few technical glitches here and there, like music starting up after end-level music playing, slow crawl on spindash and small jumping height. But those do help make the game special, right. Nice job, I really enjoyed it.

6. Kles

Kles

Post edited to show the irony :D

Anyways, yeah, it's still pretty good. The only suggestions I can make right now is lower Tails' flying speed and lowering jump height. With flying with Tails I beat DHZ in 30 seconds, and that's after I flew over the exit, got clipped on the right wall and had to drop back down and hit the sign (which also shouldn't happen, there should be a vertical line shot up across the level so as long as the sign is crossed, you win.)

7. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Really? Is this still for Stealth's Project Mettrix Engine or has something new been started? I know Dr Ivo had given Stealth some pointers with E02... either way that's 3 against 1! haha

On another note, while I appreciate the feedback given on the 2002 demo, you must remember that was the last version of the game before I rewrote the entire game from scratch. Bugs/Gameplay inaccuracies for it no longer exist in this engine since it's an entirely new kettle of fish:

http://www.randomsonicnet.org/users/rsonic/NewEngine.htm

I'm going to upload a video of the engine in action soon!

8. Kles

Kles

"Object Scripting allows you to create bosses, enemies and more!"

Even though I'm not a very good hacker, this line has me quite interested. I can see alot of potential through this.

9. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Uh oh. I've noticed that tech members seem to have a slightly different defenition of "soon" than the rest of us.

So I can expect to see the video around February, right? =P

10. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Nope heh, how about now instead:

EHZ Boss Video

It's a bit of a bootleg quality video, but it should hopefully give you a glimpse of the scripting capabilities, and also the line based scrolling effects (if you can look close enough). The nit pickers will also notice that the bounce off the boss isn't entirely correct and that there is no skidding animation yet... but it's still all in progress remember. Enjoy!

11. Korama

Korama

Tech Member
    Hallo, The Taxman!

Retro-Sonic rocks! I have a question: The music is quite good and fitting, where did you get it from? I've wondered ever since I played the demo for the first time. Well, one track is from Sonic CD but the rest I don't know. Did you compose it yourself?

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I tried to get involved in Stealth mettrix, but he didn't want anyone in on his precious engine.

So Mettrix is Stealth's alone. What we are doing is another project. What it's about is still secret for most of the people.

What really knocked me over was the knowledge Dr Ivo had in his pocket when I talked to him. What he helped Stealth with was actually not very big.

Well, these project will really get the Sonic Community on its feet again I can tell. Competition give more quality!

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Heh, that's very cool there, Taxman. ^^ Though as you said some animations haven't been implemented, it still looks absolutely kickass. One thing I noticed, though - will Sonic's walking/running animation speed up and slow down depending on his speed in the final? If it did in the video, then it didn't look like it did to me. =/ Just a little touch that could be added to make it feel more authentic.

Still, though! Looks very kickass, and quite an improvement over the 2002 demo. BTW, I've been publicising this for you over at SCARZ. =P There's quite a few people interested in this project.

And yes, LOst, a little healthy competition never hurts.

14. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Tried the game, I like the graphics, the music and the way the game flows, its very nice! Having said that, I have 2 complaints: A) The act passed music seems to loop, dunno if its suposed to do that. B) Completing the special stage forces RSonic to shutdown.

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I asked him that question myself a while ago, apparently it's from a game called "Jumping Flash" for the Playstation. Good luck finding more songs from it on the web though, I've spent ages looking and just got various versions of "Jumping Jack Flash" xD

But yeah the new version Taxman's working on will have tracker format based music (like Unreal Tournament). I offered to help write the music but everytime I start modplug tracker I get scared and only put a couple of notes on before closing it lol :P

Also voice, why are you complaining about that old demo, that's way obsolete with the new total rewrite version coming up :P

16. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Um ok, just so everyone and Taxman know. Retro-Sonic's site is offline at the moment due to a hosting relocation. I am hoping though to have the site back online shortly, I am putting RSonic at the top of my priority list

17. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Wow! This seems quite impressive Taxman.
    Unfortunately, I can't try it if you haven't a Mac port of the game.

18. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Don't worry, I'll try and port the game to other platforms when it's done. My only problem is getting ahold of a mac os x C++ compiler to use.

19. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    This looks awesome... I'm gonna try out the demo and let you know if I find anything strange.

EDIT: 404'd! Guess I'll have to wait ;)

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Tell me more about your new engine. What do you what to produce out of it?

You are targetting the fan game industry it looks like, but you try to get more original data from the original Sonic games to work here. I have never visited the fan game boards before, and my engine is not made to compete with people from the fan game boards at all.
    You got something bigger here! I think you should jump out from those boards and get together with people from Sonic Cult, S2B, A51, SClassic etc... Since we are looking at the Sonic games from another perspective.

So perspective is important here I think. What are your perspectives?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.