don't click here

Retro-Sonic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Taxman, Nov 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Hey there, for those who don't know me... I'm The Taxman, and I've been working on a Direct X based C++ Sonic game for quite some time.

The site itself has been down for some time, and now it has a new location:

http://rsonic.randomsonicnet.org/index.html

What's a fangame doing in the reverse engineering section you ask?

Well since the last demo release in 2002, I decided to rewrite the engine from scratch and with the aid of the documents provided by the Sonic Hacking community, I've been able to add the ability to port Megadrive levels into Retro-Sonic. With the use of the scripting language I've created, people can use the editor to program objects for the game. Here's an example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Boss Video

The full game, with it's all new original levels I'm working on should be out march or so next year. In the meantime, here's some more screens of the engine in action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ComPro

ComPro

Just hangin' around. Member
    Wow...that's incredible. I've played your old demos, and this one looks phenominal due to the real Genesis levels. I can't wait to play this.

3. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    You already have me drooling..

I'm looking forward to the final game as well.
    I'd just like to know if you're rescricted to porting games from Sonic 2 only, or can you do others as well?

4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    If you check the site, it says you'll be able to import from any savestate, from 1-3&K.

BTW, very nice-looking there, Taxman! I'm glad to know you're still around, and that this project hasn't died on the vine. I've been following this since the beginning and loved the original 2002 demo.. March is going to be a very exciting month, if all stays to schedule. =P

Keep up the great work, there!

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    This may very well change the scene of Sonic Hacking/gaming/programming....
    Very nice! Love the use of the CD sprites

EDIT: looked at site. the level backgrounds ROCK!!!

6. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Downloading now. There's only one gripe I have so far: IT'S ROBOTNIK, NOT EGGMAN!!!

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Don't start that...PLEASE!!!

8. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Lol.

And I just read the readme.

Now there's a way to make me play this game for less time. Control gives me RSI >_<

9. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    oh piss off. both names work.

10. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    Dude, calm down (no pun intended).

Well, as for the game, it's great. But where are the bosses? Also, you've got some scalars wrong: rolling wears off too fast, you can accelerate too much, you go flying really high if you run off a vertical wall (which allowed me to see the background change in egg garden 1), and horizontal movement while jumping is too little. And to top it off, the flame shield makes you accelerate waay too much.

What did you use to make the game? I'm guessing TGF or whatever it was that most of the game on sfghq.com were made with, because of the menu...

EDIT: [MUCH MORE ANGRY THAN BEFORE MOOD]AND YOUR FUCKING GAME CRASHED WHEN I TRIED TO LOAD DHZ PAST ACT 1, AND SOMEHOW IT STOPPED ME FROM BEING ABLE TO USE 32-BIT COLOR ON ANY RESOLUTION HIGHER THAN 800X600. FUCK YOU.[/MUCH MORE ANGRY THAN BEFORE MODE]

EDIT2: Hmm, it renamed my monitors instead of screwing up the display mode. Weird thing. :blink:

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    First off, chill out, Bob. I have problems with the old demo, too, it's nothing to get worked up about. =/ Curious, though, that the non-souped up version of that 2002 worked fine for me.

Secondly, that's basically a slightly upgraded version of the 2002 demo, so it's very old. He's been working on it for two years since the main part of that original demo was made, and since then has completely rewritten the engine to handle much more like the original Sonic games. Hopefully by the game's release in 2005, all the problems you mentioned should have been completely ironed out.

Thirdly, if you'd read the sections on his site, you'd have learned that he's programmed the game himself in C++, rather than using a program such as TGF or the like.

12. G3K

G3K

Internet needs more petrol Member
    Airdrie, Scotland
    Alphabet successfully learned, now working on numbers 1-10
    As has been said, amazing stuff - you've got the game engine down to a T, and the special stages are spectacular.

Really looking forward to the final :D

13. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    Ahahahaha, classic.

This looks absolutely superb. I haven't seen you anywhere before (because I only haunt here), so I didn't know how good you are when I saw your trial member status. But now that I've seen this, I didn't expect it. Wow.

I just wish I could find a linux Genesis emulator that doesn't come in an annoying tar.gz file.

14. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    WinRar is your friend :P

Well THAT's a coincidence then isn't it? <_<

15. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Yeah, it looks like it'll be a nice game.

what's wrong with *.tar.gz? It's always worked well for me, unless your saying you don't know how to decompress the file.

16. Kles

Kles

Bob telling someone to calm down is so extremely hypocritical.

As for the game, you should make the controls modifiable. I prefer jumping with z rather then left control. As for the Eggman/Robotnik, I prefer Robotnik but to each his own.

17. SupperTails66

SupperTails66

Tech Member
    Look, bobxp, how come all you ever do is complain about how "X is not satisfactory" or "Dude, this game is horrible becasue Sonic doesn't move exactly 40 pixels to the right when you jump!!!!" or "THIS GAME SCRUD UP MY MONITER SO ITZ REALLY BAD LOL DIE."

And then you go around telling people to calm down. I very much agree with Kles's above post.

Anyways, I remember reading about this game on the old SSRG, I think, and enjoyed playing it (and modifying the .bmps so that you could play as ROBOTINIK ((take that, bobxp =P))) I'll have to try this out again...

EDIT: Oh, and I noticed that in the Downloads section, you state that you think the final demo is coming in June, but everywhere else, you say that you think it's March.

18. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    If you don't want me here that's fine with me <_<

19. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    If all you're going to do is whine and then tell people to calm down after they chide you for whining, I'm not sure I DO want you here.

However, Simon will screw me in the ass with a fourteen-inch dildo if I don't be nice, so I'm saying no more. But please do try to be a little nicer. k? k.

20. Syren

Syren

Teesside, UK
    Reintergration
    I do know how to decompress 'em, I just dislike working with them. They are more often than not (in my experience) lame at installing things. Call me crazy if you will. But do it in a PM, and let's get back on topic.

How the hell did you do such immaculate graphic editing!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.