don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. If you don't mind my asking, why Heroes? Adventure 1 started that awful trend, and all but 3 stages feature it to some extent. Am I missing something lol? That kind of homing attack could potentially be hell anywhere if misused. I do agree though that Frontiers would be the best place to experiment with it (or something like Frontiers).

2. Nope

Nope

I'm really not sure how you would avoid "tightrope over nothing" kind of design in a linear, fast paced 3d platformer.

3. Unleashed and Colors did this well imo- especially unleashed.

Stages like rooftop run are a perfect example of how you can have linear stages with pits without it feeling like a tightrope circus act.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes true, SA1 did start this, particularly with Windy Valley, but in Heroes every level is designed like Windy Valley (just twice as wide and 5 times the length)

EDIT: What Wraith said below lol

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  5. Wraith

Wraith

SA1 doesn't have as many places for you to fly off track and into a pit. Walls, guide rails and open spaces are way more frequent in that game.

Heroes is like a Super Monkey Ball game by comparison. The entire game takes place above the world and not in it, and 90% of the challenge in the game just comes from trying not to fall into the void.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. That's fair.

Did wanna mention though that emerald coast has the same tightrope gameplay problem as windy Valley though. It's actually worse, since glitchy collision is abundant.

BUT ENOUGH ABOUT THAT lol, this is the Sonic Frontiers thread, and we should discuss how Frontiers will handle shit lmao

7. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Gosh, I sure hope there is no Green Hill Zone on starfal islands!

I wonder if the world will be a little bit more varied than what we saw in the trailer. I mean, It looks okay, but not as colorful as Sonic Works could be.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Bullet Station, Hang Castle, those jungle levels....combined with the buggy rail handling. Nightmares.

And if Frontiers is like that, that's yet another 3D Sonic game I'll skip :V Actually, surprisingly Generations kind of has some of that going on with 3D Sonic as well, but infinitely more polished, so maybe I'll eat my words on that one.

9. Wraith

Wraith

It's a problem with every 3D Sonic game released after SA1 , with varying degrees of intensity. Sometimes, Generations is good about having layers of level design so you're not automatically dead the second you fall off a platform.

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I can imagine an underground/mine area, at the very least. That one would have to prove the controls well enough.

11. MH MD

MH MD

They already described deserts area and waterfall areas, so we already know it's not all grass at least

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Even BotW had Eldin Volcano, Gerudo Desert and the Tabantha Highlands. I would hope they understand that people generally expect variety in Sonic locales.

13. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

I always thought the "10" rings in the newer games were really goofy. Narrative wise, they make the rings seem more like just money rather than the mystical protective items they're supposed to be.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I’m guessing the game will be divided into several separate open world zones similar to PSO2 New Genesis rather than being one consistent world. That would certainly make storytelling and progression easier.

15. I mean, they didn't call it "open zone" gameplay foe nothing lol.

Still holding on to the theory that the glowing towers littered around are act entrances in cyberspace.

16. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    If they have an area like that, I hope they call it Dust Hill Zone

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    What an incredibly fitting name for a cave section! Everyone will understand exactly which area you're talking about when you bring the name up. What a swell idea.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    NO.

After finding those docs a few years ago, I never want to hear the name Dust Hill ever again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    And winning rings in slot machines didn't? ;)

20. That One Guy Josh

That One Guy Josh

Speaks English AND Balanese. Member
    Imagine if we could get more than 999 rings in the slot machines, lol.