don't click here

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate released for Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MH MD, Apr 9, 2021.

1. I didn't say it was good.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's going to be very fun to fuck with once modders crack the game open. Also, this Tails Assist easy mode is a far better easy mode than Forces weird "only have 100 rings max but you lose them in smaller increments." Little odd that that means Tails' head is the life icon but ok I'll go with it.

It begs to question though is there a mode that doesn't have the Tails assist that changes the icon back to Sonic (which I'm assuming they're going to use that cursed head icon from Generations/Lost World rather than the Unleashed esq medal)?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean...that just sounds like the vanilla game to me? I’m thinking maybe I’ve gotten confused here, but I would’ve thought Tails assist would be off by default, especially if they’re using specific life icons for him.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Colours already let's you choose to have the navigator (Tails' hints) on it off before you start the game for the first time, and later in the options menu. I guess that Tails assist will be yet another option. But if there are voice lines associated with it... Tails' VA has changed since Colours. Wonder what they'll do?

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Isn’t the new VA basically a dead ringer for the old one anyway? Seems to me like a similar situation to the roles Alexis Tipton took over from Laura Bailey (mainly Kid Trunks and her Fire Emblem roles, such as Lucina and Palla). I think they can slip new clips in without anyone really noticing, but I can also see them re-recording all the dialogue (like what happened to Palutena’s Guidance between Smash 4 and Ultimate to accommodate Virdi’s VA change).

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I didn't even notice that Tails VA changed at first, but they're not entirely alike side-by-side. We still need to see how cutscenes have been handled in this game anyway. Hi-res versions of the pre-rendered Wii cutscenes will look strange next to the new visuals of this version. I've been wondering for a long time if the cutscenes will be entirely remade.

7. Sonic Colors is 30 fps on switch

I fucking called it lmao. Nobody believed me. Everyone I talked to said there's no way it would be 30. I fucking called it.

Now that my moment of self-righteous smugness is over, I kinda like the tails assist idea. Definitely felt like some deaths in the og game weren't my fault, but it's a moot point now- I know the game inside and out :/ Hopefully it'll help newcomers though!

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The Tails icon seems to indicate to me how many assists you have left.

Were there any complaints that the game was too hard though? Who asked for this? Cause I hope this isn't their response to "put Tails in the game!" either.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Bottomless pit deaths were the only ones that seemed to happen to me personally in Colours, and it was always because of how janky Sonic's jump controls were. In addition to his rigid jump arc that was pre-determined by his stored before jumping, the double jump would overwrite whatever arc he was on and send him flying forwards at top speed or make him come to a stop. I'm hoping that the new controls in this new engine will rectify that.

The Tails Assist mode just seems like a modernisation feature. If it replaces lives, then that gets rid of the "lives are outdated" complaint. I don't think anyone thinks that Colours is too hard. Outside of the jank jumping controls that I mentioned before, Colours is one of the easiest Sonic games out there. But accessibility options for those that want them aren't a bad thing.

10. Linkabel

Linkabel

Sephy on Twitter has translated the Famitsu interview into Spanish, there are some interesting details on why Colors was chosen to get the remake treatment.

-New and younger fans have been increasing since Mania, Forces, TSR and especially the big success of the movie (hence the movie bonuses in the game)
    -They feel Colors is "the ideal Sonic game" to start with for those new fans.
    -The game sold well and was a success on the Wii/DS but it's not available on current consoles.
    -New features were added to help beginners play the game (I'm assuming his referring to stuff like the Tails assist)

• Informative Informative x 8
    • List
  11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I don't think points 1 and 4 are relevant reasons, but #3 certainly is and what I've been saying this whole time. #2 is somewhat more subjective, but as a fairly standalone story it works well enough as an entry point.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    These are pretty much what I expected the motivations behind the remaster to be, so it's nice to have official confirmation.

13. MH MD

MH MD

I hope they continue to cater to "those new fans" with remasters of Generations and Unleashed then, having more games available is only a good thing.

14. That just confirmed what I had already suspected

15. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Kate Higgins was our VA for the animated short, fwiw

• Informative Informative x 10
    • List
  16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Oh shit, really? This makes me happy.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That's incredibly cool. Talk about consistency.

18. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

To your question of if anyone would notice or not, not many people have seemed to from the one line in the trailer.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

lol yeah. I wouldn't have guessed and even now that I know I don't think I can really tell the difference. I appreciate you pointing out that Higgins provides his voice in RotW.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I can see appeal in the sonic movie boost effects but I still don't understand having chrome shoes and gloves being anything other then a waste of time.