don't click here

Fleetway appreciation / STC:O thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I posted them on Tumblr so I guess it's ok here too.

Preview of a future Tails story I'm working on :

[​IMG]

And a wallpaper (I'll post the finished version later :) )

[​IMG]

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    New Sonic the Comic - Online! issue.

Huh, I kinda saw what the plan was, but I still wasn't expecting what happened.

Does this mean Super Sonic's gone now, or will he reform a la "Running Wild" and "Heroes and Villains"? I can imagine the Grey Emerald's charge would allow him to survive that, not to mention that the exact words were "jettisons all Chaos Energy"...

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I expected so much more from Super than what happened there - especially with just how much more powered up he should be; it should be unthinkable that they were able to hold him still for even THAT long. Sorely disappointed at just how 'weak' he is here in comparison to the pure dangerous fury which I loved about Super Sonic from the classic strips like Running Wild, and the Super vs. Brutus fight.

But I guess the idea is that the story wouldn't work well if Super was TOO powerful to handle.

After the Chaos energy was jettisoned, it looks like it's split up into several pieces.

My immediate thoughts from seeing that is the idea that they will become STC's equivalent of Colours' Wisps - and it wouldn't surprise me if there is some sort of twist to them (like them being evil instead of good)

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Just gonna copy this here, since it were your post, Growler, that made me think about this:

They used 6 or 7 fake Emeralds to draw in Super Sonic (I'm unsure because there's only 6 colours being flung from the Floating Island, so I'm assuming the Master Emerald was the legit one despite one of said flung colours being green), lest they risk dropping the Floating Island onto Mobius). They were all green, so possibly made from the same Emeralds as the current Master Emerald from the Kohenyu Graveyard. Super Sonic's energy looks like it was being drained before he was flung out. They were ejected and appeared to have been powered and changed colouration. Super Sonic looks like he was drained into 6 or 7 new Emeralds, that were subsequently powered.

Did they just create the Sonic the Comic versions of the Super Emeralds?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    BUMP FROM THE MISTS OF TIME

15,000th post - I finished writing the 8th Fleetway game adaptations piece for the front page. Go check it out: http://www.sonicretro.org/2016/01/fleetway-played-games-part-8-flickies-space-marines/

6. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I've always seen the fact that Super Sonic got locked in an asteroid ("the tomb") and got free (in "Doomsday") as some kind of adaptation of the Doomsday level in S3K. But that may be stretching ?

7. MartiusR

MartiusR

I just wanted to add, that I really liked introduction of Marine in STC:O. Well, in fact I have to admit, that introduction of all new characters (by "new" I mean "never introduced before in this comic") in STC:O are truelly masterpiece (I'm not sure, but I think that I saw somewhere in the internet, probably on DeviantArt, some short story about Sticks, which was drawn almost excactly like stories in STC: O - that one was also quite well made!). Their backstory is often far better from introduction in StH by Archie, not to mention about various games. More consistent, more sensible and generally - far more interesting. So far STC: O it's my favourite source of more "in-depth" plot, introducing characters etc.

(and of course I can't wait for next issue :))

8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    The Sticks story isn't from us, it's from another fancomic called "Sonic the continuation" :)

9. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    So a new issue of StC-Online was released a day or so ago:
    http://stconline.co.uk/270/index.html

Seems to have come into life without much fanfare... :(
    Well I for one am very happy this is still a thing, also a nice bit of extra nostalgia for the Brit in me to add on top of all the awesome Sonic love we've been getting this year. :D

10. MartiusR

MartiusR

I concur sir! It definitely deserves for more attention.

I've read this issue about two days ago and hey, what a nice suprise with so many stories! However I had an impression, that some threads/issues were taken a bit "by force" just to get back to them - especially in case of the "main" story, where we suddenly jumped back into
    Blaze's story
    , and dear God, what happened to Ebony? She barely looks like herself (not to mention that I can't see too much of the cat in that appearance, she rather looks like some black cangoroo :P). On the other hand - I've never liked too much that character (as well as Porker and Tekno), so it's not a big deal for me.

It seems that authors of the comic strips really like Amy, she's recently very active in various stories.

Am I the only one who think that this part of story with Shadow and Chaotix was a bit too twisted/messed? When I've read the conclusion, I would say that I could barely tell what I've just read/what just happened. I don't know, maybe I should read it once more, reading "for a quick tour" before sleep is probably not a good idea :P (on the other hand I've never had problems with understanding this story previously)

Anyway - big thanks for all authors of the comic strips in this issue (maybe some of them will read this), can't wait for the next one!

11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Ebony's "kangaroo" appearance is my fault, I drew her a bit too much like I draw my non-Sonic characters, sorry :)/>
    Blaze's story was intended to be in Ebony's story, and the next part miiiiiiiight surprise you a bit.

Re : Amy : There's been a delay in one of those stories (that was supposed to run in an earlier issue", so this one has more of her, but now she's stranded on Little Planet, so you won't see her for some time ;)/> (it's the idea : lots of focus on her in the stories and wallpapers and POOF she'll be away)

12. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    BUMP

https://www.sonicretro.org/2017/03/fleetway-played-games-part-9-chaos-chaos-emeralds/

Part 9 of my Fleetway games adaptation pieces is up.

13. Spunodi

Spunodi

Just want to say I really enjoy your write-ups Overlord :)

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I gotta say I do love how the fleetway comics had Robotnik just change clothes. Granted none of it addresses the physical differences between AoSTH Robotnik and Modern Eggman, but it's a simple approach.

Then again Fleetway never seemed on model for anything (except when they were too on model, like their insistence using that EU Sonic 3D Blast design as a base). And outside of the main Sonic cast hardly any character looked like they belonged in the Sonic universe at all, a lot of goblin and monster like designs. Kinda strange. I wonder if I would have enjoyed the comics more had it used a different art style.

15. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Well, all Sonic spin-offs of the nineties were barely on model, weren't they ? Sega wasn't as strict as they are now, so artists had more freedom.

16. Nice articles, Overlord.

Recently found my Issue #1 of STC. Needs a bit of tlc but in pretty good nick!

EDIT: anyone remember the letter from Mr OLDFASH?

17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Post #16000!

https://www.sonicretro.org/2017/04/fleetway-played-games-part-10-prosecutors-goodbyes/

It has been 6 years to the day since I started doing these, and the final part of How Fleetway Played The Games is finally done and posted. Hope you've all enjoyed reading them!

18. I've loved all of these, Overlord. They've been a pleasant reminder of my early youth, popping up to the papershop with the dog once a fortnight to get my fix. Excellently written and brilliantly poignant.

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I always loved how they handled the original Robotnik > AoSTH Robotnik transformation and how vague it all was (as in, there wasn't any actual pratical reason for this 'change' in-story aside from Robotnik just feeling like he needed a makeover), so I always felt the AoSTH > Eggman change was more or less the same thing. You kinda just shrug and go "Yeah, that's cool.

Reading through this final How Fleetway Played The Games did a great job jogging my memory of how they handled Sonic Adventure. I remember at the time being a bit disappointed with the designs and how unlike the game it was, but now looking back it was actually a pretty damn good finale to the whole StC story (not counting StC:O at this point). I can only wonder how the printed comic would have handled SA2's adaptation had it continued. Ah well. I do feel like I need to re-read some of the better arcs again now!

20. MartiusR

MartiusR

I think that it wasn't mentioned yet - #271 is finally out:
    http://www.stconline.co.uk/comics/stc271/

(sorry, I know that it can be considered as nitpicking, but Ebony still doesn't look like a cat - this time she's rather black rabbit than black cangoroo, but still :P)

I feel a bit ambigous regarding this "two-ways plot", I understand the premises, but it still makes me feel a bit repetetive. I liked the conclusion of Blaze's history though, quite nice using this "multiple dimensions theme", much better than anything presented in games or Archie's comics). And I absolutely love graphic style of the last comic (Battle for emerald hill), it's probably one of the best parts of this issue. Can't wait for next one!.

Big thanks for all people involved in creating this issue - I really appreciate your work!