don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, actually come to think of it Classic Sonic was kidnapped in Generations... or something anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA4Xe38l_eE&list=PLC715BFD6F47C4A53

2. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Ok, so stupid question alert here... but this thread is super confusing for some reason, and I can't find the answer online for some fucked up reason... when does, or did, the second comic book from the Archie Genesis series release? Apparently I missed it?? Since when are there like a billion different Archie Sonic comic varieties???

3. Are you talking about Genesis pre-reboot or Genesis of a Hero, which is the current filler arc in the main comic?

4. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    http://archiecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SonicMegaDrive1-web.jpg

This one. Sonic Mega Drive #1. Even when I search online, there are like several different cover pages or something..?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh, yes Sonic Mega Drive 2 did release, but it was titled "Sonic Mega Drive: The Next Level" #1. It's cover features Sonic racing Metal Sonic:

[​IMG]

And no their naming conventions and random graphic novel releases don't help things.

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Ah, thank you.

So why the hell did they put "#1" on the second issue?

God damn, now I have to go out and see if I can find any copies left in stores...

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I have no idea. I even asked Flynn on his Twitter why they did that and he didn't even seem to have an answer. He said it had something to do with the distance between the issue releases.

8. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Well that was dumb of them, because I bought like 4 or 5 copies of the first comic so I could support them, and 0 of the second comic because they confused the fuck out of me...

9. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    I remember Ian saying somewhere they have #1 on the front because comic's that have that on the front tend to sell more issues.. or something along those lines.

10. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    This.

Comics with a huge #1 on the front are guaranteed to sell better, because new readers are unwilling to jump midway into ongoing plots. Marvel and DC have been doing this tactic for many years too. Ever notice how Part 1 of most story arcs tend to have a giant #1 in the corner, while the later parts don't supersize the part number as much? This is marketing at work.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya but at the same time you can kinda tell that issue 2 was not an issue 1. It reeks of cheap marketing tactic

12. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    Agreed, but unfortunately, that's how the comic industry works. Comic covers are made with the primary purpose of persuading the customer to buy the comic, so every tactic is used. Another common tendency is to depict situations and/or conflicts that are either exaggerated or absolutely not happening in the comic, or putting on it characters that don't actually appear in the comic, and of course variant covers are made for the collectors who are willing to buy the same comic multiple times.

13. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    So I noticed that Sonic isn't listed on the subscription page anymore. Is it going to be shut down for good? I just noticed that they were doing a new origin story since everything rebooted.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good question, and no one seems to be really sure. Apparently some 4chan rumor stated that Sega of Japan might be pulling the plug on the comic after the Boom franchise was critically panned in an attempt to do some damage control/tighten their hold on the series, but then again that's 4chan. Also Penders claims that Archie is having a fire sale of their current Sonic backlog because of it. But this is Penders. And then apparently the FCBD Sonic comic was swapped out for a FCBD Riverdale comic, but Archie has been peddling that TV series pretty hard so it makes some sense.

So for now it could range from it's a glitch to it's cancelled. It would be a shame if it was cancelled but the fact it lasted this long is nothing short of a miracle. Just release the Sonic 3 & Knuckles adaption and Sonic Megadrive 3 before you cancel the series Archie.

15. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Adding to this... Ian is not answering my emails like he used to. I only contacted him a few times, but his responses were responded to in a reasonable timeframe. It's been a while this time for whatever reason though.

EDIT: Also...
    [​IMG]

I'm cringing at this recreation. They are using original textures but they are mapped onto model recreations, not the original ones. I'd actually love to lend a helping hand here tech-wise for a more accurate recreation.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's just that it seems so sudden. When Megaman was cancelled it was announced when it was coming to an end. If this were to be cancelled it would, well just end. Oddly though the timing kind of works as for once the comic actually wrapped up all its loose ends. The Unleashed arc and everything else presented by the reboot was concluded. The only things that aren't are the Genesis of a hero series and the Mega Drive series. Everything after that would have been new stuff or more lore explanations (A clean reboot might have been a better idea, they've had to do a lot of lore explanations since the reboot).

Archie is a very weird publisher. I've never seen more compilations of issues of comics (ARCHIE/JUGHEAD, JUGHEAD/VERONICA, VERONICA/REGGIE, REGGIE/JUGHEAD, ARCHIE/BECKY, BECKY/VERONICA, JUGHEAD/ARCHIE (It's different we swear!)). A lot of what they do seems to reek of desperation, and lately they seem desperate. Hell maybe they weren't told to cancel the comic but Archie just finally had enough of Pender's crap that they just pulled the plug themselves.

Although come to think of it, Archie has been focusing a lot on Riverdale and their staple series reboots. Penders may be right in that Archie just wants to focus on their own licenses and as such they may be planning on dropping Sonic.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Sonic has to be such a profitable branch for Archie, I'm hard-pressed to believe they would prune it themselves.

If it's done, it's done on Sega's say. But if it WAS done, I imagine we'd see a fare-thee-well from Ian, Tyson Hesse and the rest of the Sonic stable. Since we haven't, then at least talks are still ongoing, or perhaps they're waiting until the end of the fiscal year (which I believe is in March) to make a clean cut.

I hope not. Mania excluded, Archie Sonic is STILL the best aspect of the franchise from a quality perspective.

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    It's a shame. I just saw the Genesis of a Hero comics online, and it queued my interest to give Archie my money. I really want to see where they go with it as long as possible. I somewhat followed the comic since issue 3 and later 22. From what I've seen, its been the greatest thing that happened to the Archie series since the universe rebooted.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh wow I didn't realize that Archie actually had a kickstarter to get their series reboots off the ground (it failed btw), so they probably aren't doing so hot. Ken Penders suing them probably doesn't help matters, so who knows, they could have dropped the license themselves.

Let us all reflect on how Ken Penders is an asshole. How's issue 1 of Echidna fun time treating you Penders? But another question I have is would this license be picked up by another (hopefully more competent) comic book publisher? Or is there too much baggage for anyone to bother at this point. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing a clean slate where the series is treated similarly to the Megaman comics, in which the comic follows the games plot. Basically Genesis of a Hero but more fleshed out. They show so much potential in this but it's always reserved for flashbacks (I really want to see Sonic 2 GG played out in comic form, because Flynn's treatment of that with combining that, AoSTH, and then having it lead into Tails Skypatrol was brilliant).

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    We did get a clean slate sort of with #252 all previous Penders garbage was wiped for a new plot.