don't click here

Sonic Utopia

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Mr Lange, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I think it would be cool if in the final game there was a level akin to the demo's GHZ, where you can just mess around and have fun, with the timer turned off. Perhaps it could work as a sort of tutorial?

2. winterhell

winterhell

or you could find the super secret timer monitor and break it :specialed:

3. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Naaah. It's a tutorial, you should take it easy.
    Or am I not getting the joke? :v:

4. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Will you add some kind of a guide of where the exit/goal thing be at?
    Not sure if anyone familiar with Crash Bandicoot series but the third game (Crash Bandicoot Warped), one of the levels, is almost a open water stage where you're riding on a water jet bike thing and there's a big arrow pointing where the exit is at.
    [​IMG]

5. JucieBX

JucieBX

Houston, TX
    Just Mad Gamers
    I don't think something like this should be added to any game. This already assumes the player as someone who can't finish the stage without holding their hand...
    Mr. Lange has said, a number of times now, the stage in the demo was like a playground and won't be representative of the final build. That the final build will have better level design that the player will be able to follow. The level design should be the only thing guiding the player to the end, not the UI...

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Have you...ever played Crash Bandicoot 3? The arrow isn't there to guide you through the level. It's there to help you orient yourself when you've deliberately gone off the path looking for secrets.

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Shortcomings in design are ok. It's how you overcome them that matters.

You seem intent on doing this the hard way though, so good luck.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We don't even know what a "normal" level is going to look like. Why are you all continuing to rail on an alpha sandbox level?

10. Just my thoughts so far:

Love it.

If I was going to make a few simple suggestions though...

Perhaps ramp up the momentum based physics a bit. Feels like the effect of slopes on Sonic's speed could be a bit stronger.

Would also be cool to have slightly more flowing, organic parts to the test level. More subtle bumps and curves changing the momentum in minor ways would be fun.

All in all great work and keep it up!

11. JucieBX

JucieBX

Houston, TX
    Just Mad Gamers
    So much ^^^THIS^^^ it's not even funny!!!

12. winterhell

winterhell

So everyone is so jealous that Lange put some effort and released something? Was that a mistake? Would the world have been better without Sonic Utopia?

p.s. I like the work, I hope there is more down the line.

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Nobody here is saying that.

14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Yeah that... I don't see what prompted that. Nothing remotely suggested that.
    Also I'm not sure I'd describe the feedback as "railing on" the demo level, if that's to imply it's being beaten too much with criticism. Seemed to have mellowed out several posts ago anyway.
    Even so it's understandable that more criticism is given about it since it's all that exists and there's uncertainty about how much will and won't influence future level design. But I think I've well covered every broad and major thing that could be said about it and future considerations.

Instead of just broad feedback and general ideas about level design, it'd help if we got into details. I'd like to direct attention to what I said early in the thread.

15. winterhell

winterhell

No of course nobody is saying that but there seems to be too much hate and 'no, do the levels our way' . At least that's how I read the atmosphere. Sorry if I offended someone.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    ...What hate? And who is saying "do it my way"? I don't know how you read hate at all, but you're awfully mistaken. This is all fair discussion.
    I'd suggest not jumping to conclusions based on "atmosphere".

17. Murasaki Fox

Murasaki Fox

The critique is quite welcome. We want to make the next releases the best they can be, so we're taking all the comments into mind. ^.^

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Just asking... what are the demo's requeriments? Because I have really old/shitty PCs so I'm not sure if I can even run them.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I use a two-year-old £500 laptop and it runs just fine, with occasional framerate drops.

20. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Another way: can it run on an A6? Because that's the most powerful thing on my house and it's way under your two-years old 500 pounds laptop.

That, until I get a new one on 2017, I'm waiting for Zen FX to see if they worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.