don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. They didn't in Mega Drive #1, they won't ever in an actual Archie publication.

At the very least whenever Tails gets fed up with Sonic, you can imagine his "Geez, you're kind of a bitch" line in your head. :v

2. VioletGalaxy

VioletGalaxy

Houston TX
    Music

I still have not seen MD#1 anyone that can rate it to see if I should give it a read?

3. If you like Tyson Hesse's art and you like classic Sonic, go buy it. It's fantastic. It's literally so good it is the ONLY Sonic comic in Archie's entire publication of Sonic comics to sell out of its first printing and require a second.

4. VioletGalaxy

VioletGalaxy

Houston TX
    Music
    welp its time to buy!!!

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

New Solicits:

http://bumbleking.com/sonic-comics-for-january-2017/

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I don't think Archie knows how numbering works, because the third issue of Sonic Mega Drive, Sonic Mega Drive Overdrive #1, has been announced for March 2017.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe "#1" is the actual name of the series? :v:

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I actually asked Ian on Twitter once what was with the numbering scheme. He said the decision was made due to how far apart these things are released.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Just got Part 1 of Genesis of a Hero in.

To be honest, the first half of the issue feels like a waste of pages. It retells the end of Sonic 1, and doesn't do anything even remotely interesting with it outside of "also Snively is there and he just complains the whole time".

The second half is far better, focusing on Sonic talking to the Freedom Fighters in Knothole. There are some awkward moments, such as forced exposition in the form of the King explaining that he found a way back to Knothole after Sonic saved him from the Special Zone off-screen, but fortunately they're outweighed by the rest of the dialogue, which shows the gang bonding as friends, and their determination to save the Kingdom.

The art feels...off. It isn't bad (outside from some attempts to replicate classic poses, which just feel out-of-place), but something's just weird about it. Might be the coloring?

Anyway, overall, it's a mixed bag. I just really hope the rest of the arc is more like the second half than the first.

Oh, one last spoiler: The King's shadow in one panel basically confirms he's Naugus in disguise here, as people suspected over at Stadium.

10. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    Well... Just read issue 288 and it's about time we got an adaption of Waku Waku Sonic Patrol Car! :v:

I love a good classic adaption, but I feel like they're going through them a bit too fast... If #289 is Sonic 2 wham bam thank you mam then... I don't know, it just feels like they could do so much more. Heck, they could make a whole series making new lore by mixing game concepts, SatAM and New252 lore. They really don't need to rush this like they are. :(

The comic is still fun and nice but yeah, too little. Give us something like DC did with Superman at the start of New52, where Action Comics was set in Superman's past and the Superman comics were in the present day. There's so much lore that's just missing thanks to the reboot.

11. Tylinos

Tylinos

New solicits are up, now with 100% more "actually being posted in the thread"! Also, the SSM is back.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/articles/archie-comics-february-2017-covers-and-solicitatio/1100-156194/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pengi

Pengi

So I've been thinking about "Genesis of a Hero" and how Part 1 is Sonic 1, Part 2 is Sonic 2, Part 3 is Sonic CD and Part 4 is Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

In terms of the games this wouldn't make much sense chronologically, since the Death Egg crash lands on Angel Island immediately after Sonic 2, where Eggman builds a new base of operations for Sonic 3. Sonic CD has to take place either after S3&K or before Sonic 2.

Maybe Sega told Archie that if they're doing an anniversary retrospective they have to present it in release date order?

So here's a wild theory. The Little Planet kind of exists outside of time and you only ever encounter Eggman in the future anyway, so what if this Eggman is FROM the near future?

So from Sonic's point of view his adventures go S1, S2, SCD, S3&K, S4. But from Eggman's point of view it goes S1, S2, S3&K, SCD, S4.

A little convoluted, but it could be a good work around if it is a Sega mandate to do it in release order.

13. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Hi.

[​IMG]

Just dropping in to share the best part of Mega Drive: The Next Level.

14. Tylinos

Tylinos

It's solicit time again, now with 100% more Boom-styled Sonic-Man action. Also, Blaze.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/comic-book-preview-1988/archie-comics-march-2017-covers-and-solicitations-1848457/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We got the first 5 pages of the upcoming Sonic CD issue:

http://comicsalliance.com/sonic-the-hedgehog-290-preview/

Oddly the comics are interpreting Sonic CD as happening after Sonic Generations in the Classic Sonic timeline (Sonic states at one point that Robotnik somehow made it back after the Time Eater incident), but Sonic Generations had the Metal Sonic boss from Sonic CD in it. So yea, time travel, it makes for some confusing plots :specialed:

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Huh, Sonic flirted with Amy...

-pushes button, prompting metal shutters to close-

Shippers coming in, three marks at two-ten!

17. The thing is Classic Sonic doesn't remember what happened in Generations so that's a plothole avoided, all he can recall is the encounter with the Time Eater.

And frankly, I could see that as the only way Generations could ever be considered canon.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

Speaking of that, from when Sonic was "kidnapped" ?
    I always interpreted Sonic from the beginning of "Sonic 1" and Eggman from the end of "Sonic 2" considering the cutsceens (Tails don't really matter, as he just pops-up.)
    Not that helps CD placement in the timeline anyway, and if Sonic hardly remembers a thing, it doesn't really matter.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Where did it mention that Sonic was kidnapped? However, current Archie universe lore had it so that Sonic was kidnapped along with Eggman at the end of Sonic 2 GG by the Naugus Twins (which then led to Tails' Sky Patrol).

Flynn has done a pretty good job piecing everything together to make a coherent world though. I love how he had Sonic 2 GG coincide with the Breezie episode of AoSTH.

EDIT: Oh I just noticed, Amy's Tarot cards depict Chip as Light Gaia, Solaris, and Perfect Chaos. Nice touch.

20. MastaSys

MastaSys

I just forgot for a moment that even with a soft reboot the comics are just another different can of worms.
    the kidnapped thing was just me thinking about the game version, i don't remember Time Eater taking Sonic willingly, but i could be wrong, it's been a while since i played Generations.