don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjtp83WWgtE

2. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Well this isn't terrifying at all... ARGHH What is this?!?! :(/>

But hey, now we actually know what the ingame music sounds like. Seems like Richard Jacques really IS working on Fire & Ice again! I was a bit disappointed by his work in Shattered Crystal, after the first zone it all became very generic and same-y. But the music in the zones they've shown so far reminds me a bit more of Sonic 3D on the Saturn - and that's a good thing!
    Or maybe Richard Jacques' involvement is already confirmed and I don't know about it?

3. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I almost forgot that we still have a Sonic Game that will come in 2016.

4. Sui Eel

Sui Eel

captan Member
    It was confirmed a while back actually, on Twitter.

Game release is closing in, but it seems that the new boom is kind of being swept under the rug a bit due to the Mania announcement. Although it seemed pretty well focused and polished from what I've tried of it.

However, it still confuses me why they use L and R both for ice/fire mechanics, and then you have to use the little touch screen to swap characters. (Or maybe I never figured out how to do it without the touch screen?)

In any case, I'll be looking forward to how it's received.

5. This looks so depressing.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Hey so this game is out tomorrow in the US. Reviews should go up then as well as Sega actually sent out review copies this time around.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I can already see the first opening sentence. "SEGA/Sonic has had a hard year/2 years/5 years/10 years..."

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    "...we've seen Sonic be Aladdin, King Arthur, a Werewolf, Marty McFly, and even an advocate for bestiality. While Rise of Lyric was a waste of your time, and Shattered Crystal was an okay-smelling fart in the wind, Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice improves on the previous game, but still isn't a good Sonic game. Oh well, maybe next time."

And that's the full review. Like...all of them. (C) Lanzer and SWTJ, 2016

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  10. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Those are decent! I was expecting allot worse. watching gameplay now and gotta say it does nail fast and fluid pretty nicely.

Yep. lemmie know if a review pops up thats just like that but more wordy.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Some more reviews:

Kotaku - no score
    God is a Geek - 8.0
    TheSixthAxis - 5.0
    Gamnesia - 7.0

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    So I just bought the game a few hours ago. I played it for a bit, before I had to let my 2DS charge. I gotta say, it's much better than Shattered Crystal. And definitely 100% better than Rise of Lyric. I haven't even played Shattered Crystal in a long time because of all the back tracking that you have to do in order to progress through the game. Fire and Ice definitely got rid of all the backtracking, and it's much more entertaining. The music is pretty good, though I get a Mega Man vibe from it rather than a Sonic one. (Which isn't bad, since I love that style of music! :P)

13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    If anyone's curious, my cat and I did an unboxing, including the DVD case and disc. I also showed off the 25th Anniversary 3DS theme and what happens when you highlight Fire & Ice on the menu. Nothing crazy, but maybe some of the more detail-oriented folks will find something interesting here.

I'm about to start playing now. Looking forward to it. Some have said that the story feels like the show, which is a plus for me on top of being more fluid in pace than Shattered Crystal.

EDIT: This is pretty fun so far. Knuckles' digging feels kinda like NiGHTS (you can destroy enemies via "Paralooping") and it's awesome. I'm having a great time with the game. It's paced so much better. Cutting out the requirements to progress was a brilliant move, and I really appreciate how the Sea Fox sections are their own levels on the map now. I liked the segments in SC, but being in the middle of platforming stages made it feel a bit too shoehorned in there. The music isn't necessarily memorable, but it's still a fun accompaniment to the gameplay. Also, I like the crystal rings that you have to collect in a line before time runs out. There's just so many improvements here over SC. Even the non-CG cutscenes are played out in-engine with voice acting, and either method is fun to watch if you enjoy the show. If you're curious, go for it, or at least wait until it's on sale - it's good, but it's not a must-have.

14. NioZero

NioZero

Concepción, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    I'll buy the game, but I'm saving for Pokemon Moon. Maybe when it get a discount i'll grab it...

15. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    It's actually deeply depressing to see IGN give this higher praise than Sonic Unleashed.

16. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Yup, it is indeed depressing that one of two different reviews of different games that were written by different people with different opinions has a higher score over the other. :v:

Real talk: people still getting emotional over review scores at all actually depressing.

17. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Sooo... I spotted something interesting in one of the later (in other words: better and less boring) levels in Fire & Ice. Just thought some people might find this interesting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe the graphics guy(s) at Sanzaru Games really liked Shadow?

(Does that mean I'm not the only one who thought that game was sort of okay?)

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    The general consensus of this game is "Good but flawed", so no you're not the only one.

19. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You and I hang out with people who have completely different standards.

20. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    [​IMG]
    sonic 4 physics, run for the hills :v