don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

[​IMG]
    Just throwing my version in there. The Chaotix suffer the most because of their high-color origin, but they don't look terrible.

2. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Yeah, that's what happens with 32x hardware.

3. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    The point with Espio is that he has a completly different shading style. I think that the most correct thing to do would be reshading him. It would be a really hard work, but otherwise he may end looking bad, or even like crap sometimes.

4. Are there any decent espio sprites that make him match the s3k style already in existence?

5. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    DECENT ones in classic art style? No. None that I've found anyway.

6. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

The only decent S3 styled Espio sprite I've ever seen was this old relic:

[​IMG]

And even then, I have no idea who made it. Possibly some guy named Shiver, since I think he was the one who originally uploaded this mock up.

7. A shame that's the only sprite there is of him in that style. Would've been a great asset.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    If you take the view that Mighty and Espio match, then the character is already drawn in a "classic style" - just something more akin to Sonic 1/2 than Sonic 3.

Either way I don't think he sticks out as much as that Rouge sprite, for example. And then there's Tails who is virtually unchanged since Sonic 2, so unless you're willing to redraw everything, it'll never be perfect.

9. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I had tried a palette with one less gray too; and discarded it because, as you can see, it does not look all that great. There is also an inconsistency in your shading of Shadow: his darkest gray was mapped to gray instead of black, like what you did for everyone else.

10. VAdaPEGA

VAdaPEGA

Freelance Digital Artist Member
    Portugal
    Probably something minimalistic
    [​IMG]
    Palette management sounded like fun so I gave it a shot, though I accidentally made it look like everyone's underwater.
    Aimed for detail and range of colors rather than accuracy

At one point I tried having one shade of blue as opposed to two, but it made sonic look too mechanical and sonic 1-ish

11. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I actually really like this palette over all of the other attempts I have seen so far. The underwater look that you describe is, I think, down to the use of a dark grey instead of a black, and warmer orange/yellow use for muzzles and the like. The only thing I would change would be the blue highlights on Shadow for the second darkest grey. Apart from that, they all look pretty good like that, in my opinion.

EDIT: Quoted due to new page.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    dried them off

13. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    VAdaPEGA wins. Black Squirrel's edit also looks great.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I've not particularly liked any of the 1-line palettes up until now. Black Squirrels edit of VAdaPEGA's one wins out easily.

15. MotorRoach

MotorRoach

That last palette is certainly the best one so far. Great work, Black Squirrel and VAda~

16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Agreed. Big, Tikal and Cream/Cheese should be able to fit in no problem now as well.

...still prefer preset teams, but if it doesn't happen then oh well.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Well, the trouble now is the S2 special stage sprites :argh:

I am thinking: preset teams for ease (select a team and play), with a custom team option allowing you to select team members. Preset teams can have all 3 players in S2 special stages, custom teams have only the leader.

Yes, I am assuming S2 SS sprites can't be compressed into the 2 palette lines available for them.

18. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Hmm... guys? What about colours that VDP can actually show? According to the table that nikenko showed me, this is how they could look:

[​IMG]

It's amazing how Espio still gets away with 4 shades. I envy him.

19. Perhaps you can post the S2 SS sprites and palettes? People here seem to be interested enough to get freeform teams working this much, they'll find a way to get that working too.

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    That will have to wait until tomorrow night at the very least; I am actually traveling, and I have only my tablet and phone with me. The images I posted were a bit old, and already in imgur.