don't click here

Sonic Lost World (PC / Wii U) Hacking & Resources

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dario FF, Jan 1, 2015.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I find it a bit hard to believe that someone can't look at both Mario Galaxy and Sonic Lost World and not think that Galaxy was used as inspiration.

2. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

What about Mario 3D Land/World levels? The game "takes some ideas" from those too, and there's no gravity to deal with. I'd actually kinda like to see a 3D World level in Generations with classic Sonic, though. Either way, it might not work if whoever did it didn't go to the trouble of making the fixed cameras.

3. DinnerSonic

DinnerSonic

Never Posting Since 2004! Member
    Galaxy would be neat and all, but I think the most fitting would be a 3D World level, because while I don't know if it would be as intentional an inspiration as the Galaxy style gravity, the parkour system and the Cat Mario powerup in 3D World function somewhat similarly. There's ways to rip the level models too, people just aren't as interested in those as they are in ripping characters.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually now that you mention it those levels would be pretty fun.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smY9RbZU4q4

So it appears we have someone who has managed to slightly modify Sonic's physics. I wonder what exactly was edited, Sonic seems a bit wonky so something had to be done, just not sure what. If we can expand on it though that could be a game changer. It would also appear that Sonic built up speed while running rather than going walk or run. These two changes alone make this much closer to Sonic Adventure style gameplay.

This was done through HEX editing apparently. Interesting.

5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    They seem to have not only managed to get Sonic's spindash to charge in a much shorter amount of time, but it seems to actually launch off as a sped up regular roll instead of the spin-boost. How did he pull that off?

If people can use what this guy found out to make SLW have natural accel/decel and this spindash, I'd probably be able to finally enjoy this game. :v:

6. urlogic

urlogic

For those of you who don't want to go through the past 10-20 pages for highlights...

Click here.

:v:

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So, question to those who know how to use SonicGlvl. How do I get objects to show up in the editor (like models and all not floating cubes). I've extracted all the enemy pac files and dumped them in the resource folder, but besides one fishbot nothing loaded. Any idea what I need to do to fix that?

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    + - I'm probably one of the few that kind of likes the Werehog. :P  

It'll definitely be interesting to see what kind of levels get ported/created in Lost World though. The parkour seemed like a pretty good mechanic that has a lot of potential.

9. urlogic

urlogic

Meanwhile, in the wonderful world of Lost World hacking...

[​IMG]

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Because Galaxy didn't have any levels devoid of planetoids and gravity hijinx?

11. Darth Taco

Darth Taco

lol I don't know. Probably. There's also that 3D Land/World uses individual linear levels which would probably make them easier. But do what you want, I was only making a suggestion.

12. Do we have any sort of repository or something for Lost World and Generations mods? I mean, we've got an entire page on the Wiki devoted to storing links to various Mega Drive/Master System hacks, and another page entirely for various fan-games. Do we have anything for these two? I just finished Lost World, and would like to know if there's anything worth playing yet.

Also, I kind of agree that this engine would work best with levels designed like 3D World. If I had the time + know-how, I'd give it a try myself.

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Those aren't really maintained, and it's been a good 5 years of Generations mods without that.
    the best bet is youtube playlists.

14. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Does anyone know how to use a save data I downloaded so the game uses that? I don't actually want to play Lost World all over again, so I replaced the .sdat in the Sonic Lost World folder, but when I boot it up, the game just gives my old save back. Is there somewhere else I have to change something?
    Edit: I found it, but it's stupid and it was in some lame Youtube video. You have to make sure the save file you download has the same numbers as the one the games makes for you by renaming the one you downloaded. Then you replaced the save the game makes for you.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EPSzkvApUA

JoeTE seems to be the only modder left thats doing any credible work on lost world, too bad its just a skin mod.

16. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    At least it's not a shitty one. All of JoeTE's stuff is super high quality, in contrast to all the people who just make a crappy rig, maybe do some awful HUD edits, and call it a day.

Though yeah, the lack of stage modding is disappointing. I was excited to see what people would do with parkour and whatnot.

17. Paraxade

Paraxade

Hey guys, so I dumped some templates for the objects that were added in the DLC/updates last year. I never added them to the GLvl-LW repo because the object names my tool picked up (from the function names) didn't always match the name from the orc file, which is needed for the objects to work ingame. Because of this I'm not sure which of the templates are new (as some of the ones in the original set had to be renamed), and I'm also not sure whether any of them need to be renamed to work correctly ingame. I asked Zoney to go over them and get it sorted out so I could release the templates, and he never did, so I never released them.

Since there's really no point in me holding onto them and not letting anyone else have them, I figure I'll just post them as-is. If anyone wants to go over them and sort them out and let me know, I'd be glad to add them to the repo properly. Til then you can get them here: https://mega.nz/#!O05ClCiR!agxxrVCd9WmdavdvibuAAgebkGEu9UJzY8L7Xm9AqSU

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlESxhEYE5s

Not a bad workaround for the lightdash.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That actually makes more sense in the context of Lost World's control scheme.

20. CheatFreak

CheatFreak

Catgirl expert. Member
    This may be a strange request, but anyone have the technical knowledge to remove the stupid letterboxing and have it stretch instead?
    I run a low end machine and I'd like to just use borderless gaming to stretch it fullscreen, but the stupid letterboxing is making that rather difficult.