don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted (New Screenshots! 28-04-2015)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Mercury, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    For some reason my website went down the other day. But I am still working on the game: 16 of the 23 acts are now complete, I have improved all of the levels based on feedback from watching youtube videos of the demos, I've worked out many bugs including improving the collision detection and the games performance has been improved.

I am aiming to release the game around new years or Q1 next year. I don't want to spoil any of the new bosses or levels but I do have some screenshots to share:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. REPO Man

REPO Man

That is some pants-creamingly gorgeous art!

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Looks great. Keep up the fantastic work.

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    It's always awesome to see this project crop up. Looking forward to its release!

5. Chaud

Chaud

Oh. Ohh...! OHH! Dat art! :thumbsup:

Really nice, Overbound! Great job there!

6. thevaleev

thevaleev

Russia
    Sonic Game Land
    These screenshots look very good, you did really great job, Overbound! What do you want to release - demo or full game?

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This game is so beautiful and stylish, really can't wait to play it. Kudos to you!

8. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Thanks guys! While its possible my estimate might be off by a couple of months. My goal is to release the full game around New Years.

9. Mors

Mors

Fangame Creator Member
    Turkey
    Super Mario Flashback
    Holy sheep, this looks awesome.
    But why the last screenshot is blurry? Is it just like that, or are you trying to hide something?

10. Only just watched the trailer, looks great Overbound!

Brilliant to see the original Sonic CD 'instant time travel' concept in a game, that 5 second animation still bothers me when I play it.

11. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Looks fucking fantastic dude. Captures the spirit and ethos of the Classics really well. One of the most promising fangames around right now.

Do you have a link to the trailer?

12. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Is one of many big robot bosses. You can see his pink body and gray face if you look hard. I didn't want to give him away though. As most of the bosses in the game are meant to surprise you.

It was Chimpo's idea from like 2008. He/She (sorry I actually don't know Chimpo very well xD) suggested I make a transition similar to the time travel effect in Earthbound. I thought it was a great idea so I programmed one and it's been an essential part of the project ever since.

Here is the old trailer as 360 requested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_38WFistPs

13. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    Over ten years of waiting, it's almost over! Here's to hoping Game Maker Studio's compile time doesn't inhibit convenient test playing and development. *bricked* (Or are you using an older GM?)

I'm looking forward to the bosses the most. Official Sonic games typically have fairly lackluster bosses, challenge wise, so the more engaging, the better; I love Freedom Planet half for its boss fights.

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Just watched your trailer dude and just wanted it say it looks fucking awesome. Like beyond awesome. As in one of the best fangames in development right now in terms of potential and promise. It's pretty close to the ethos of the Classics or rather Sonic CD specifically. It really shines with the love you have of the original games. Beyond excited to play Time Twisted when it reaches completion. What you have so far looks so exciting and promising. Hoping Retro puts its support and encouragement behind you because it would be wonderful to see this come out and just be a great game. All signs thus far indicate that it will be. So keep going. Your work is appreciated.

You have one fan here who's excited to try your game. And by the looks of the replies to this thread also many others.

15. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I am using GM Studio. I did have a serious issue with compile times and memory use. But I believe I have solved it by loading tiles externally, at least during development. Worst comes to worst I might have to compress my tiles more which would be painful but doable.

Thanks for your kind words 360. I will do my best not disappoint. Its good to see people with such positive responses really helps my motivation.

I can't remember if I've shown this screenshot here or not. But I have a special stages in the works too. It will probably be the last thing I implement before calling the game complete, thought so its not very complete.
    [​IMG]

Also if you are interested in learning more detailed information about the game there is an interview with Hinchy and I here:

https://www.radiosega.net/news/features/2015/02/true-fan-hack-stories-sonic-time-twisted/ (there's a few more screenshots there too)

16. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I think loading tiles externally doesn't help memory management at all, if not aggravates the issue on run-time; GM Studio is such a mess. I can't wait to see what comes of Studio 2.0, because I can't stand waiting entire minutes for GM to compile over 500 sprite frames for my Shantae engine into a page table, (I think it's highly unintuitive that GM builds a new page table every compile, whether your assets actually changed or not.) and with an actual finished game, it could take longer. The speed gain in-game is nice, yet it defeats the entire point of using Game Maker: Faster Prototyping.

Needless to say, I went back to 5.3a, and might just buy GM 8.1; the trade-off wasn't worth it for me. With the way Studio is right now, you might as well use a real programming language, or make your game in GM 8.1, then port it to Studio once it's done.

17. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    As an 8.1 user, I concur with .Luke. GM 8.1 is the way to go... outside of a non-GM solution. Game Maker Studio is just... not good.

18. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    There are real benefits to using Studio, which is why I'm sure Overbound made the switch. I personally find the cons weighing down the pros, for the moment, and that could be subject to change come Studio 2.0.

I can deal with compiling things; compiling code and objects doesn't even take that long if you're not liberal with objects. It's the page table compile time for larger projects that's unacceptable for me. It's not smart enough to know, "Oh hey, you haven't modified a single sprite in two weeks, but let's rebuild it anyway, just like I did for the past two weeks!".

19. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Game Maker studio is actually smart enough to know you did not change any graphics as long as you don't change the names of any sprites/backgrounds or modify any images, it won't recompile the texture pages. But beyond that I load level tiles externally because it means they aren't part of the texture page waiting time. The external PNG images are loaded as level tiles when each level starts. This is done to reduce page compile times when running the game.

20. Dee Liteyears

Dee Liteyears

deep in the past
    Spriting and hardly getting shit done
    Oi, oi! DerZocker here.
    I finally got my validation and it's good to finally post in this topic personally. As Overbound mentioned, I'm one of the pixel-jugglers for Time Twisted.
    What else to say? I do pixel art, have some basic 3D modelling skills and collect old consoles. I've been a Sega fan since I got my first Game Gear (ohhh, I wasted far to many^^') in '94.
    I also wanted to thank you guys, for giving me my own thread , about my Chaos/Triple Trouble mockupsa few years ago. I was really confused how my dA page could get such a view spike so suddenly, though some quick google-fu gave me the explanation.

As for the blurred pic, maybe a few Fleetway fans may recognize the silhouette. If so, keep quite and stay curious for the things to come ;D