don't click here

Never before seen build of Sonic X-treme Leaked!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Did I mention this is not the STI engine but a whole new engine done by Point of view??
    Share your thoughts on the build guys ! This is lost history here !

Also , Why isn't Jollyroger a Tech member yet ?! after all he's working with official dev hardware and source code here and doing some pretty impressive and amazing work.
    The amount of work that's gone into restoring these Saturn and PC builds would make ones head spin.

2. winterhell

winterhell

He should be X-Treme Tech Member :specialed:

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Wow, this is awesome to see! THANK YOU to everyone involved for the work on this! Downloading now...

EDIT: My version of Yabause does NOT run it very well, haha. Not really a surprise.

4. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    Seconded, for Andrew75 as well :v:

This is awesome!

5. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    WOW - this is more than I thought it would be.

First thoughts are that it looks really good - graphics wise! When Sonic runs side ways along the path - thats how I always imagined a 3d sonic would be on Saturn.

Have downloaded and will be playing tonight.

THANK YOU to all involved!!

6. Well worth the wait! It seems to run pretty well on the Saturn as seen in the video. Will try this as soon as possible! Thank you Jolly and Andrew75 for all the hard work!

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    This build of the game looks probably the most playable out of any of them, as in it doesn't make me want to puke from weird camera gimmicks and vaguely resembles a Sonic platformer.

Excellent stuff, guys!

8. I third this :v:
    It is very exciting to see this running on actual hardware! What a fine job guys!

9. Awesome job guys, thanks for all your hard work getting this to us! Gonna give it a spin asap.

Love Sonic's running animation.

10. Rabid

Rabid

The Pallete Master Oldbie
    Brilliant work guys the POV build looks... X-treme!
    Seriously though, even with some features not working I love how much more polish this version has. On another note my flate-mate just asked why I'm watching a video of Sonic in Minecraft, silly muggle!

11. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Well this is amazing! Looks pretty smooth and quite playable. Awesome job, thanks to everyone involved.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Well guys, with this current build release here, All we need now is Project Condor, boss engine and the later STI Builds with the expanding contracting paths system.
    Have a feeling these are going to be found or leaked far off into the future. Anyhow there is still a lot more assets to come from Jollyroger's collection, Like the massive level package for the STI builds and plans to get STI build v40 to load more levels on Saturn.
    There are over 20 levels playable in v37 currently, many never before seen.

13. Wow.... This build looks... fun?!
    Not like, super, but holy heck, I never expected such a smooth-looking build with actual mechanics implemented so soon after the previous builds.

... Is anyone able to make a hack that can cram EVERY BUILD WE GOT SO FAR into a single Sega Saturn disc with a boot menu?

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    That's what we are hoping to do with V40 from Saturn which is the STI build.( STI builds are easy to modify even without source material)
    Sadly, the POV build wont be expanded upon, even though it looks nicer at the moment.
    It wont be easy for average users to slip levels into this build without the source code, since the levels are hard coded into the engine. And I don't think the POV code will be released.
    You'd also need a level converter that converts the STI levels to the POV engine format. Jolly has the level converter, but yeah, what use is it if the source is not made publicly available?
    development hardware would also be necessary unless a Saturn development environment could be put together on modern windows. ( or perhaps someone could actually port all the official tools to modern windows.) But yeah I don't think anyone would bother attempting this, especially since the Sonic community mainly works with genesis, pc and dreamcast Sonic games. Saturn seems to be a very neglected platform.

15. That's truly an exciting idea, a mega compilation of all of Xtreme

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Looking at the question again, I think I misinterpreted it.
    We'll be doing a build of 040 which will include compatibility for ver 41 and 42 levels, and than maybe port the 37 levels so that they work on the 40 build.

17. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    Looking forward to future releases even more now.

I have just been playing this on my Saturn (the one with Rhea installed) and it ran nicely - I also got the last release running ok, turned out I wasn't putting it to a cdi file correctly.

One thing I did notice while playing this level was a few invisible blocks you can jump onto if you are diagonally running towards the screen and jumping lol.

It would also feel easier to play (to me) if the view was slightly back a bit as it feels quite close to sonic so that you can't see much until it's too late - these aren't complaints however.

Truly amazing work that this is now released and being played by us all :-)

18. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Holy crap, brah! This is astounding! I might actually burn this and try it on my own Saturn today...can it run NSTC-U?

EDIT: liquidCD and Disk Utility failed on my Mac. Gonna try imgBurn in parallels now. Note to mac users: don't use either of those utilities.

Oh. Also, imgBurn worked but didn't boot on my NTSC-U Saturn. I'm guessing this really is NTSC-J only?

19. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    [​IMG]

Out of all witty context in the image above, congratulations to Andrew and Jollyroger for resurrecting a never-ever rotating Saturn masterpiece!

20. I was kinda thinking something more along the lines of the multi-boot discs that were made in the days of the Dreamcast selfboot scenes, where the hackers could cram (for example) MvC2, CvS2, and SFIII into a single disc with a web-browser-based boot menu. Or booting them up with a file menu or such.