don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    So I've just spotted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntPM8FjfK0

Time to finish this game off then!

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    So has anybody even tried to see what's changed other than the Knuckles glitch? I haven't been able to check since I've been at work all day, and now my roommate's playing Smash (he's become the king of calling bullshit on people who have learned to play better than him; he could stand a lesson in humility and a break from For Glory for a few days), but as soon as he goes to bed I'll get to take a look. I sorta figured someone would have chimed in by now, but if it's gotta be me I don't mind. I'm probably one of the five of us who doesn't completely hate the game.

EDIT: Ah, I just saw somewhere the patch is only live in Europe. I'd like to report back here with findings, but I guess I gotta keep waiting.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Wait isn't the Wii-U hacked now? can't we just see whats in the patch?

Isn't their anyway to avoid the patch? I mean, cool they are addressing the issues and doing what game company and a producer should but I would like to see the glitched version preserved somehow.

4. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    1GB? Holy hell, I hope that patch consists of fixing up all the problems the game has.

It would be hilarious if the patch was made because of Game Grumps. Arin made the glitch became much more well-known as the series went on.

5. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I agree with this.

I got this for my 8 year old for xmas (and me lol) and we played together on boxing day for around half an hour and we both just wanted to turn it off.

I have since asked twice if he wants to give it another shot (as although its utter poo I still want to try and finish it) but both times I asked his reply has been 'no I don't want to play that anymore'

That statement from an 8 year old boy says a lot haha

6. He's a good kid.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Seriously, they should go back to trying to make games that appeal to all ages. That was part of the original game's key to success.

Bah, they should have fixed it so you don't need to pause the game. =P

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I wonder if the patch removed the speech said which relates to that unplayable NPC, stuff like that is most likely the meat of the update.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Does it fix the / subtitle?

10. Paraxade

Paraxade

I got the files for the patch. Here's what's included in it:

- The cutscene where Lyric takes control of Metal Sonic has been updated with different lighting. This is the only updated cutscene.
    - The controller diagrams in the pause menu have been slightly updated with some minor coloration changes (for example, there's a blue ring round the home button now).
    - Changes have been made to six levels: Cliff's Excavation Site, Bygone Island, Crater Lake, Tomb of Lyric, Lyric's Weapons Factory (past), and Ocean Purification Plant. I'm not sure exactly what's changed in them. Also, this is why the update is so large; making any changes to these levels at all necessitates putting the entire level's stream file in the patch data, even if it's a small difference. The sizes for these six levels adds up to over 1 GB.

No other files are changed (except obviously the executable).

http://youtu.be/FHfx8GvKmlA

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So they've managed to make a cutscene look worse? Well done lads.

12. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This game gets worse, dear lord :(

13. Felik

Felik

Is it real? I mean did they really just didn't bother to add sound effects? It doesn't have anything to do with CryEngine being unsuitable for Wii U.

14. Paraxade

Paraxade

The sound effects play ingame, they just aren't embedded in the video files.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I've been playing through the game with the patch, and it's definitely smoother during the speed sections. It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's an improvement. Somehow I screwed up the cutscene where Lyric gets trapped. I'm not sure what I did, but when the scene started playing everything but the dialogue was audible, and a metronome-like clicking sound was added that repeated throughout the entire scene.

I just got stuck at the end of The Pit (the ugly purple level from demos). There's a room where you have to throw robots at a door, and I spaced out because of the monotonous combat and killed all the robots. I dunno if more were supposed to spawn to keep the player from getting stuck there, but they sure didn't this time. There goes like...forty minutes of my time.

16. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    ...I'm hoping the cutscene not having any music or additional sound effects isn't actually something that's in the game.

Or else sweet lord this game's worse than I thought and I really didn't think it could get worse.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They really should let this one die with no dignity. I still hold its worse than 06.

19. Lord Nero

Lord Nero

Resident Nintendo Hater. Member
    Claymont, DE.
    Let's Plays, Work and Animation.
    I'm guessing the patch finally made it's way stateside, tried doing the Knuckles infinite jump glitch in my previous Let's Play part and no dice. Thanks Sega, guess I'll have the only pre to post patch playthrough now, too bad the game's still just as boring :colbert:

20. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    Whoops :v

Guess that counts for music too. Just.. strange how they'd embed the voivoice acting only and composite everything else in-engine.

What I still don't understand, though, is... what is the point of this patch? Honestly? Its a bunch of subtle updates that barely gloss over anything. Do thedevs really feel like they've done a good job? Are they upset people are ex plotting their game to make it more fun? If subtle updates to a level cost huge files to be ENTIRELY re-written for any changes to be applied, why sweat the small stuff when there's already HUGE, GLARING ISSUES in the levels that NEED fixing?

I just... this company though.