don't click here

Sonic Boom (Games) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 2, 2013.

1. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    In a way this game is kinda amazing in how stable every one of it's exploits and glitches are, the game never seems to really crash no matter what you put it through, it's almost like Sonic meets Goat Simulator

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I kind've hate to say this, but still.... it could've been worse.... and I mean, a lot worse (although, anything from Sonic Boom bad and downwards is pretty much irrelevant in one respect. A bad game is still a bad game).

I am, of course, referring to [one of?] the worst game released in videogaming history.

But still again, to do this to a beloved series [ie. Sonic] takes this to a whole new level of low.
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHkTgihsnaU[/youtube]

3. IndyTheGreat

IndyTheGreat

Fixed Water (SADX PC)
    I'm too lazy to do this, but someone needs to take sound clips from the AVGN review of Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing and put Sonic Boom video clips over it.

4. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Ain't exactly the rarest thing as long as it's not visible normally. At (0,0,0) in Windmill Isle.

[​IMG]

Gets easier to miss stuff like that on big open 3D spaces.

5. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    All of this makes the generally positive Mii comments on the Wii U's menu screen hilariously ironic. I don't know whether Nintendo only picks positive comments to display or if the silent majority really doesn't care how broken the game is. XD

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Don't let this thread ever end guys. I don't even care to debate anything about this anymore. It's just become a regular source of entertainment now.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I played through the game on my own and also watched my friend play it and had no idea. But those test blocks really are amazing.

8. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I'm finding it entertaining that this was released in some pre-beta form.

PS2 graphics... Knuckles' glitch... Floating test blocks... "Sleep Deprivation" listed among names in the 'special thanks' portion of the credits...

Not a single fuck was given.

9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Heh, oh my god, you're right:

[​IMG]

This really is the gift that keeps on giving. Too funny, it reminds me of all the snarky "don't blame us they made us do it" kind of text that was in Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Of course, this is a lot more subtle and I'm surprised all that BK intro text got past Microsoft.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

BRB's Cry Engine tech demo vs the final game
    [​IMG]

I also spotted it again in the official reveal trailer, looking worse then the tech demo, but a million times better than the final.
    [​IMG]

11. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I've actively tried to force the game on the many glitches it's supoased to have ( Knuckles infinite jump, wall transpassing, NPC getting inside player characters,etc..) and I'm unable to do any of them. It¡s absolutely amazing how everybody fully agrees on this game being completely broken, and I can't even force it to be. Is my copy special or what? I only found a few minor slowdowns and Sonic stayed floating on an invisible platform ONCE. I had bigger issues with Mario Galaxy....

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Massive improvement. I mean, you'd have to be downright retarded to think anything else :specialed:

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I actually quoted one of your posts a while ago explaining how to so the infinite jump glitch. B > X > Pause > B > X > Pause > B > X > Pause > etc etc. You have to pause before Knuckles starts his downward spiral attack, and it doesn't work with a standard B > B double jump.

The game isn't so broken that it's often unplayable like '06 is, but through normal gameplay I ran into a few issues. There was more than one occasion where I clipped through the stage (sometimes during automatic running sections), glowing circles where NPC's used to be but have left, fucktarded co-op AI, a subtitle that reads "/" instead of "let's go", frequent framerate drops and generally looking ugly at every turn. The main thing that make this worse than other game like '06 is that it's hideously boring on top of everything else. It's somewhat less buggy, but that doesn't count for much if the game is even less fun to play.

14. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    oh god it's like Aliens: Colonial Marines all over again.

This is just depressing. Even if the gameplay was going to be subpar, the visuals looked like they were actually going to kick some serious ass. Like, look at that. Just LOOK at that! That setpiece looks awesome in the top screenshot. On the bottom one, not only does it look out of place as shit, but the water looks AWFUL.

They actually had some real talent going into this. I honestly think what really killed this game was the move to the Wii U as mandated by Nintendo (well, THIS particular game as mandate by SEGA, but the fact they were contracted for 3 Wii U games was Nintendo's call). Cryengine wasn't meant to run on that system, this game was made on cryengine, and all that detail was just GONE. It's like the opposite of pre-post Nintendo Direct Xenoblade Chronicles X, except the first footage of X looked pretty great.

Just... fucking hell, man.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The Aliens: Colonial Marines downgrade is minuscule compared to this, I don't think I've ever seen a game have as big of a downgrade from work in progress to the final product. It wouldn't be surprising if this game was originally being made for PS4 and Xbox One and it had to be downgraded when SEGA wanted it to be Wii U exclusive.

16. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    One gameplay glitch I had was where I'd go through a hydrogate as Sonic, then be stuck shooting forward in ball form just under the water. Can't steer, jump, etc. to get out of it, Sonic will just randomly decide to surface and function as he should on the water. Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, not sure how to replicate it but could probably get footage if needed.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but A:CM blew because Gearbox took SEGA's money and ran to finish their precious Borderlands sequel, leaving the rest of the game to some whatever blah nobody company, because the company head's a dick and apparently it's cool to take on projects you don't intend to put any effort into. Boom blows because the guys at BRB decided to face the challenge of squeezing an incompatible engine onto the Wii U rather than start from scratch mid-dev cycle, continuing to do their best to bring it to completion in time as more and more of them got laid off, until they just couldn't take the pressure anymore and farted out what was done, sans a bunch of content. It seems BRB actually set out to complete their mission, but fell short due to a plethora of unexpected hardships. Neither one is wholly excusable, but I have a lot more respect for BRB than I do for Gearbox right now.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well yea they're better than Gearbox, but they were just obsessed with getting something to work that wasn't going to work and it was irresponsible in countless ways (layoffs, shit game, ruined their reputation, hurt Sonic AGAIN, etc). In some ways this comes to mind:

[​IMG]

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Well it's a tech demo - that sort of thing kinda comes with the territory. And it's clear a lot of the early shorts were pre-rendered and touched up and whatever - I'm not really seeing a "visual downgrade" in the same way as say, Watch Dogs, where at E3 2012 there was real-time gameplay footage of a version that is (greatly) superior to the final game. Or Aliens: Colonial Marines were they actually let the public play around.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh, I'm not trying to say that Big Red Button is a worse company than Gearbox. If anything, I dislike Gearbox so much that it's the only game company I'm boycotting right now. Just that the downgrade between WIP and the game being sold is bigger than A:CM.