don't click here

3 Game Gear Prototypes acquired - Thanks to everyone :)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Orengefox, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    I've recently made contact with someone who has a Sonic 2 GG Auto Demo Prototype he's been wanting to sell off. From what was discussed, there's every possibility this might be the one we've seen in many video game magazines during it's development.

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/f/f5/EGM_Issue_38_September_1992_133.jpg
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/c/c8/EGM_Issue_38_September_1992_132.jpg
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/7/7e/EGMAugust1992Page_04.jpg
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/4/48/S2_vgce_03.jpg

He wants $400 for the item + $80 to have it quickly shipped to me (within 3 days) with tracking information. As always, there's a chance this might not be anything but given what I was told, the things I've researched to take into consideration (which I'll post at some point) along with the fact that this is Sonic 2 GG, I'm willing to take that chance as we may never get a chance like this again. He's giving plenty of time to sort something out but I wouldn't leave it too late.

I'm looking for donations this time around. I'll be able to chip in some. Unfortunately I just don't have enough. Doesn't matter how much you contribute. Any and all contributions would be greatly appreciated. If some how there's more than enough contributions, it could always go towards the tools to dump it or any more Sonic prototypes I might find (trust me). I've got these oddities (Link 1 - Link 2) for example I'll be posting at some point.

Those of you who are interested and have PayPal, you can send the donations to this email: [email protected]

Don't let an opportunity like this slip!

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Isn't better to contact DRX about it?

3. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Damn I'm broke at the moment, but I'd love to back this up. If the rom is dumped I'd have a field day hacking it. :v: I might be able to chip in some money on Friday though.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    ...Because?

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Because not only he does already have equipment to dump the cart, he's very experienced in negotiating.

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Hes basically our Roger Smith. :v:

Yeah talk it over with DRX and see what he has to say Orengefox.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    lol at yall makin it sound like orengefox hasn't done this before

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It's already been negotiated, that's why Orenge is now asking for donations. It's not like he hasn't done this multiple times already.

9. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I was hoping for Sonic Drift 2. :specialed:

This could be good. I'll give what I can.

10. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    I'll donate something (probably a pint, and a tenner :v: ) in person at the Barcade, Orenge.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    This.

Orenge is asking for assistance in paying for the dump, guys, not who to speak to about actually doing it.

12. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Gave you ten bucks. Good luck!

13. Orengefox

Orengefox

Snooping as usual... Researcher
    Right in front of my computer.
    Some artwork, a ZZT game, and a hack.
    $100.00 has been donated so far. Many thanks to all of you who've contributed! Anyone else would like contribute? Remember, every little helps :)

Now onto what I've researched. As Bill Nye the Science Guy once said "Please consider the following..."

Now many video game magazines would've had those screenshots above during it's development. The screenshots which show where Sonic was, what he was doing, how many rings he had and at what time seem to reflect what was shown on the rough maps they had of each level. Note how all the articles talk more or less about the same thing. Sonic started off in Green Hills Zone, then hang glided all of the sudden and then rode in a mine cart all of the sudden (notice the time on all those screenshots).

According to our records, the only video game magazines that had something slightly different to show in their articles was GamePro & MegaPlay.

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/8/87/S2_GamePro_Issue039_October_1992-114.jpg

Notice the screenshots of Sonic going through the loop, how many rings he had and at what time. It still reflects what was shown on the rough maps which suggests there was an Auto Demo version of this particular build (which this prototype the seller has might be). While it's possible the screenshots came from a pre-recorded VHS tape which would have been sent off to video game magazine companies given the quality; it's not far fetch for video magazine companies to be given the actual cartridge which they played on a television while taking screenshots of it.

http://info.sonicretro.org/images/9/98/S2_MegaPlay_Issue11_August1992_Page024.jpg

But then we have these screenshots. Where Sonic was, what he was doing, how many rings he had and at what time in those screenshots don't seem to reflect what was shown in the rough maps. In fact, if you look closely, the screenshot on the right looks like it was taken at a video game conference (notice the lights reflecting on the screen). So a playable version of this particular build must have existed as well.

We've been down this road before where we've discovered that SEGA has made a playable versions of a particular game and a Auto Demo version of that particular game. It wouldn't have been the first time for SEGA and it wouldn't have been the last.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Looks pretty delicate, hope its not busted ! About time a new possible prototype may have been found. I may be able to donate something.

15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    This feels like it should be getting more attention than it is.

It's incredible that you were able to track this down and I really hope you can raise the money needed to get it.

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Sent £10 towards the total. = ) Hope this is what you think it is!

17. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I've sent $300 your way, hopefully you can make the last $80. I'm pretty interested to see what this has in store...

18. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    well thats that sorted then! Very generous of you MJ :)

19. Glitch

Glitch

Tech Member
    Sent you the last $80. I really should check Retro more often. Nearly missed this one.

20. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Wow! Thanks so much for your incredible generosity everyone, I'm sure Orenge will be very happy when he finds out about this.

You guys are amazing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.