don't click here

Sonic Chrono Adventure 1.1 - Released

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by LakeFeperd, Mar 11, 2013.

1. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Spark the electric jester
    Thanks Guess who, it's on the page now :D

2. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    This looks amazing - will be downloading it soon!

Shame it won't be for my everdrive lol

Seriously good work and thanks for sharing

3. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

I found a hidden removed title screen in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ZzkweXo-U

4. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Oh, that, it was changed to the new one just a few days before the release.
    I did it because I wanted to see the new sfghq logo get a little bit more popular around sfghq and, of couse, get more people to use it.

Btw... how dafuq did you find it?
    U key has been completly distabled in this game.

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    That was a ninja release!
    How come it didn't get as much attention and display as the previous games? Downloading it now!

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Fuck me, this game is beautiful. A little confusing at first but still. Nice work.

7. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Guess it's becuase I released it with no warning that I was going to.
    Unlike ATS

And yes, now I'm able to use the ninja move: "Ninja release"
    Too bad that's not a good thing.

8. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    I don't think you nailed the concept of combining a roaming 2D world and powerups. It seems the only way you progress is to be shoved around until you get the thing that breaks the obstacle blocking a path. So far it's more or less directed and you don't get let loose to screw around on your own. Little is done to reward exploring or using powerups in a creative manner, and the level design is sparse and lacks a compacted design to it. That was my worry with BTS aftermath, and it extended into here too.

Meanwhile I dig how lighthearted it is and the art is fantastic. With more stuff going on I think it could work much better though.

9. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

All the decisions in this game were made with a reason though, still, I can totally see why they woudn't work for everyone.
    Thanks for the feedback dude.

10. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

Okay, by the way the game is really awesome, and there are so many levels. Good job LakeFeperd, I'm going to complete it when I have time (so I have more things to say).

I didn't use any debug keys, I just hacked my way to that title screen.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Yeah... wut.

12. Are there any differences between the included version of Aftermath, and the version you released before? I remember that the older version wouldn't save, and so I lost interest in finishing it since I had to restart every single time.

13. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    From what I've played it's a nice game. It's what I expected BTS Aftermath to be and a lot more. As I'm sure several people have pointed out to you already, the levels are very sparse and spread out.

Maybe it would be a good idea to take a good, hard look at the way you design levels going forward. Right now, they resemble Hot-Wheels tracks with occasional platforming sections scattered throughout, or Dimps levels without the cheap hazard placement.

14. I love that Eggman sprite. Looks like the Knuckles Chaotix sprite but much better.

15. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]

I got stuck here. Like, STUCK STUCK. There is an invisible platform here and no way back but to die and start over and the save point.

16. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

@GT Koopa
    No, you're not stuck.
    You missed something, Still, that is a glitch, but it's not game breaking.

@ Kharen
    I'm sorry to say that is the same one you played before.

@You-Are-Pwned

just... how???

17. pablodrago

pablodrago

BS AS
    I appreciate the work, but I have to agree that the whole idea of powerups to open new paths is not suitable for a speed based game like sonic, even so I really enjoyed the beautiful art.
    I would like to ask something, may contain spoilers for the story so:

in the prison when I had to control both characters to open the gate, by pressing both switch. In one jail I found Gerem inside and tried to talk to him but doesn't work. is that a glitch?
    sorry but I forgot to take a pic

18. You-Are-Pwned

You-Are-Pwned

That screen is still in the game, and LakeFeperd didn't remove it. All I had to do is make a few RAM modifications to force load it.

19. LakeFeperd

LakeFeperd

Oh yeah, that is a glitch, I can't belive it's still happening, but oh well...

20. Falk

Falk

From what I'm experiencing, the zones essentially have a separate "forwards" and "backwards" path which keeps things simple enough for navigation. I dig the change of pace, and at the same time I'm wondering if mixing things up in some of them where it was more of one level that you could go backwards or forwards through with the classic top/bottom routes might have mixed things up a little. The intersections with 4 exits kinda do this, as does the castle and sky empire bottom area, but that's more of one route than multiple routes bi-directionally.

edit: Watching Mega G's stream actually did cement that opinion somewhat - the number of times he went on the "return" path and followed it all the way back to where he started was pretty comical, and having the two paths at least intersect a few times might have helped. I think people just need to more properly grasp the concept of 'hey, the camera is facing this way, so if you go right, you'll end up at A, and if you go left you end up at B" which is a little different from a classic sonic game where you typically just trust the level to take you to the end even if there are sections that double back leftwards.

Overall I'm really impressed, and I really wanna see what you can do when you're no longer limited by toolset and had more manpower than just yourself to execute your ideas. Not gonna lie, I do feel that a lot of the time you put unnecessary limits on yourself!