don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Machenstein

Machenstein

Another crazy idea, but I think the Sonic Crackers assets could be used to recreate Cyber City instead. Just throw in a sky background with the Death Egg launching and you got yourself the perfect level to precede Sky Chase. It could be a vertical level not unlike the one in Sonic Crackers, and it would have a different boss if you wish to avoid Metropolis Zone's one.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It actually kinda looks like crap, specially the grass of emerald hill. And the Advance-y new art certainly doesn't fit with the flat Metropolis tiles. Sonic 2 is very flat actually.

3. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I feel like it looks more like something you would find on the Game Gear.

4. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Fair enough, but keep in mind this was like a weeks worth of work compared to the month spent on HPZ. Since it wasn't approved nothing was finalised end of story.

5. corneliab

corneliab

sure

[​IMG]

6. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Thanks for not deleting the files though, it's nice to be able to see the things that didn't make it.
    All of the effort that went into HPZ is wonderful, I've played it several times but after looking at the full map there are still areas I missed.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Damn, Sky. You just got roasted.

Toasted.

Burnt to a crisp.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Motherfucker.

You'll be the first to die.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I know, I was just being realist here heh.

I'm still getting a new phone just to play this.

10. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    I will say, since I don't think I've really said it yet, but I'm enjoying this new port. Even with the flaws in 2 player mode, I still have quite a bit of fun with it.

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I really like the idea of Eggman having an area where he tests out his bosses. I guess story wise for it to work, it would have to be something like the Sonic Simulator from the modern era games, where its not Sonic himself who takes on the challenge but Eggman's virtual Sonic clone. (Although, story doesn't matter for a bonus mode).

Too bad it didn't make it into the final game.

12. So I get 6 chaos emeralds (using Sonic+Tails), my phone starts to die so I plug it in, phone goes to usb mode and I go back to game....game restarted and I lose the other 4 emeralds I just got so I'm back to 2. Not the end of the world since I played these special stages more than to breeze through them. Not exactly a bug obviously so I didn't post it the bug thread, but it is a bit of an inconvenience. A hell of a lot better than my system crashing and just doing everything over again.

13. nesboy43

nesboy43

I hate to be one of the people on the internet who keeps using the word nostalgia. Let me just say this, as someone who grew up playing the hell out of the Classic Sonic games (on the Sega PC series), and who as an adult thinks their level design, characters, physics, and controls are the definition of perfection, what Taxman and Stealth do is mind blowing.

The idea that ports of games that are about 20 years old having new content is just incredible. First Tails in Sonic CD, then all the Sonic 1 improvements, and now, a real version of Hidden Palace Zone as well as elemental shields officially in Sonic 2? This is just wonderful.

I can only hope more companies follow this idea and we can potentially get ports of other classic games with new content, but most companies wouldn't be willing to invest the time or money to do so.

While I currently do not have a device that supports the Sonic 1 an 2 ports, I am looking forward to the day I finally get myself a smartphone or if these come out on consoles/PC. Most of all, just knowing that my favorite game of all time, Sonic 3 and Knuckles is potentially next in this line of improved ports has me incredibly excited.

14. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Someone might have mentioned this, but I found a Tails/Knuckles route in Hill Top Zone act 1. There are also routes in both Chemical Plant Act 1 and 2.

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So this Egg Gauntlet Zone's music, would it have been custom made or a reused track? and what would its background would've been? just the death egg reused?

And how come I can't find a wiki page for this scrapped stage yet?

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Because not enough people work on the wiki. Skyler and I only just started adding the HPZ info up.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because you haven't made the page

you can always go and make the page - wiki open to all members, community project (like this one hint hint) etc.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    The gauntlet stage, in my head I imagine the background being a vast mechanical sort of depo which is half finished, like an eggman land but it's main purpose for being there is to launch the at the time unfinished death egg ship.

I played the boss rush we have in the current version and I think it's really good, I like how it warps you with kept momentium to each boss and you can find a few hidden rings or shields on the way, very much like a boss act on the master system games, good feeling all round.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think you just described Launch Base Zone :v:

Did you guys ever think of just using Death Egg Zone for the boss rush ala Robotnik's Revenge?

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Actually, I had this idea that Taxman and Stealth could partner with CollinC10 and have Robotnik's Revenge ported and unlocked as a BONUS GAME for having both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Similar to unlocking Episode Metal in Sonic 4.