don't click here

Sonic Lost World (Wii U, 3DS, PC) Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 17, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh of course you don't get anything. You don't get anything for powering up your co-op things either (Well I guess you get the machines upgraded, that's something). I simply enjoy 100%ing these sorts of things.

2. Well, here's my review of the game. Took a long time to put together, but I hope it's worth it.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiIVkI2GBEQ[/media]

I hope I don't get chewed out for posting this. But hey, at least it isn't as long as my Sonic Generations review.

To summarize, I love this game... sometimes.

3. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    All I can say is it's sort of telling that everyone forgot about this game 15 minutes after playing it.

To this day people scream about 06 or even Shadow. This game? "Oh, it was frustrating, I never want to play it again."

In a way I can't say I feel too surprised. Sonic Team threw out their good work and made a half-functioning thing, then shoved it off to the customer and... well that's it.

I'm looking forward to them scrapping whatever they did here when they go for the next game they make.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That right there worries me though. They have a couple options they can take, the first two of which I present are not so bad IMO. They can swallow their pride and start to rebuild from either the classic formula or the boost formula, either of which would be good options IMO. They could also incorporate some of this new gameplay into an older gameplay, which kind of goes along the lines of rebuilding from the boost formula. Problem is the other options. They could once again "try something new," which we all know they can't do, and then we'll end up in another mid 2000s cycle but this time we'll get polished turds instead of total turds. They could also try another Sonic Adventure, since if they're strapped for cash they probably know that one will make money from name alone since everyone just loves SA2 for some god forsaken reason.

This game is interesting if for the fact that it's highly unmemorable, which is a rarity for Sonic games. Even the bad ones are remembered in some ways. But this one for some reason just has some quality (or lack of such) that makes it so people don't remember it all that well.

At least this game was likely developed by the Colors team, if the team structure still exists that is. The Colors team has always been worse than the Generations team, but Colors deceived us slightly back in the day because it was the first boost game that focused entirely on Sonic and nothing else, which at the time was unheard of (looking back though it's Marble Zone: the game). The Colors team was also responsible for the story book titles I believe. They've managed to make some better games than in the past that's for sure, but they still aren't great. This game would have been simply Sonic Colors 2 if it weren't for the fact that it copied Mario Galaxy so much.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I say they need some fresh talent. This isn't a "Iizuka sucks!" comment, but it is an observation that Sonic Lost World emulates Super Mario Galaxy a little more than superficially. Maybe Iizuka's burnt out?

6. ArrYaReadyKids

ArrYaReadyKids

The Cave of Wonders
    Scruffy The Beginning
    He said back during Colors' production that they were trying to grab more Mario fans right? Lost World is definitely the final result of that.
    I actually like the gameplay a lot. What they need are more levels like Windy Hill and less like Frozen Factory Zone 2, so levels that are actually built around the game mechanics.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably. After all Unleashed wasn't his brain child it was some other guys, who then left. They built off someone else's gameplay. Iizuka has also been in charge of some pretty bad ideas in the past, and while his ideas are no where near as bad now they certainly aren't original. I'm sure someone on that team is responsible for their lack of risk taking though. Someone's being too cautious or is too worried people won't like the gameplay, and then you end up with this game that's all over the place.

8. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Lost World isn't fundamentally terrible from a mechanics standpoint. It's the level design where the game really shits itself.

9. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Yeah, I think this game would've really been so much better if they focused less on the Mario-y aspects, and expanded on the 'parkour' elements a lot more, and didn't fuck around with the more gimmicky stuff like the snowball.

10. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I wonder how far along this was when Cat Mario was first shown off. Lost World's parkour system is more than a little similar to Cat Mario's climbing, albeit taken to 11.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Anyway, enough bitching and ideas for now. I had a question. Wasn't the soundtrack supposed to come out around now? It'd be nice to finally get some good rips of these songs (The versions of Dessert Ruin Zone 3 and the final boss music on my ipod are just terrible).

12. ArrYaReadyKids

ArrYaReadyKids

The Cave of Wonders
    Scruffy The Beginning
    http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/10/sonic-lost-world-ost-title-and-art-revealed/ says here it comes out on the 27th in Japan.

13. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yep, on the 27th. I've got my copy on order and I'm pretty sure Ashram said in this thread that he's getting it too so we'll be good.

14. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I have literally just bought a wii U just for this game (and sonic colours as I haven't actually played the wii version)

I know the review scores are mixed but after watching some YouTube in depth reviews I needed to have it! :-)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well I hope you have fun with it. There is some fun to be had with the Wii U version at least. Also Colors is some decent fun, hope you have a classic controller though.

16. Let me ask you an honest question. Do you expect anyone to slog through 35 minutes of you covering Lost World? Most internet reviewers barely go past the 10 minute mark! This could do with a lot of trimming.

and I didn't even watch the review :V

17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    >35 minutes

Dear god, no, why? Voted the hell down.

18. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I have colours on DS which I actually never completed, and yeah got 2 classic wii controllers.

Can't wait to try it :v:

19. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I can perfectly understand why some users would object to a review that is longer than 10 minutes long. Indeed, it is a long time to expect a person to sit in front of their computer for. However, this is simply the way Nick operates, and to be truthful, is what he is best at. His Sonic Generations review is even longer than this, but it is the best review I have ever seen of that game.

Nick excels in long videos that almost tap into stream of conscious. As I said, if you don't like the review that's perfectly fine, but no one is forcing you to watch it. You are either like me and totally dig the intricate details of Nick's videos or you don't need to watch it. Tis simple.

20. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    ...so. Uh.

How about that Lost World.