don't click here

Sonic 1 and 2 getting the Sonic CD treatment by Taxman and Stealth

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Still no word an a PC release?

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    It's The Sun, this isn't really surprising when they do it. :v:

3. RetroKoH

RetroKoH

Project Sonic 8x16
    I'd actually like to see an original Sonic 2D release from Taxman and Stealth... but with these characters, and others, added.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd like to see a new game as well, but if they have to remake something I vote for Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Tired of Sega ignoring Sonic 3. Chaotix would be interesting but that game would require a ton of fixing due to how strange it feels.

5. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I like how the text of the review seems pretty glowing (if so non-specific that it could've been written based purely on the first Google result) and then the final rating is 6 out of 10 out of nowhere.

6. Same here. Really would love to see a 2-D Sonic game that actually feels old school while implementing a few twists here and there to keep the speedy platforming, momentum based formula fresh without making radical changes to the core gameplay. Also would support the idea of characters beyond just Sonic/Tails/Knuckles, such as an Advance 1 style Amy (after playing her in the hacks E-122 psi made, I think that any future 2-D game would not be complete without that character and the gameplay varitey it brings) and the Chaotix. (or at least Vector and Espio since Charmy was quite the game breaker)

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I can't belive they gave it 6 of 10. This game sets a new standard for all future ports of any classic game. It's simply amazing on every level - it don't think I ever seen any 2D re-release that comes even close to its greatness.

Where does Sonic 1 store the save files on Android? My phone died, but I have a back up of it, so I want to retrive my save file.
    I've looked thoroughly but can't find it.

8. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    don't count on working loops to be added. Sonic Crackers shows how broken they are when one character goes through and the other doesn't.

9. I'm still waiting for Sonic 2 : / ....By the way, why doesn't this have older iOS devices' support? I'd still play it on my 3G, even if it did lag :V

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I think Taxman said the Apple development tools no longer support legacy devices.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Yeah, he mentioned it a few pages ago. As of May 1st, all new and updated iPhone apps are required to support the iPhone 5 screen. To support the iPhone 5 screen, you need to use the iOS 6 developer tools. With those, you can only target versions of iOS back to 4.3 on iPad and 5.0 on non-iPad devices. You can't shove the older SDK into a newer version of XCode (which will work for Mac Applications) because the compiler can't compile for the ARM6 processor anymore. And you can't shove the new SDK into the older tools, because that can't compile against ARM7S which is used by newer devices.

It's still possible to work around these limitations and do it anyway, (detailed here) but it involves manual changes to the build process which would probably make things more difficult to test and support. It's probably not even an option for them, since it looks like Taxman doesn't get to do his own builds.

12. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Another factor: given that, unlike Sonic CD, Sonic 1 iOS supports all the graphical effects (like water palettes) of the original, I'd wager he's using a more advanced renderer that older devices wouldn't support.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture

14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Funny thing is, I posted that in the "Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge" thread a while back. xP I got a kick out of the fact that they used your image as opposed to a screenshot of the game itself. :v:

15. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    No one has confirmed or denied releases for other platforms, although the launch trailer said it was mobile exclusive.

You can already play it on PC via Bluestacks.

I just found out, it stores it on the SD card, but I don't have a back up of this.
    Is there any way I can download a game save with Knuckles & Tails unlocked. I don't feel like playing throgh the game as Sonic again to get all emeralds.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Is it necessary to keep asking this? Once there's any word at all, you can guarantee it'll be hard to miss. For now there's no mention of S1 or S2 coming non-mobile platforms.

17. The android version of Sonic 1 sideloaded onto an Ouya works great. Especially with a PS3 controller. If anyone's interesed. :)

Sonic 4, both parts, run like shit, extremely lazy ports of the mob versions, up to Sega's usual porting standards!

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah if you can even get that emulator to install first. :v:

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Well, yeah, Crackers and the December Chaotix protos demonstrate that it was broken and that it was removed shows that the original devs weren't willing to fix it. If the game were heavily rewritten by someone with a lot of skill and time, the bugs could be ironed out almost entirely. The original team had to get the game out quickly, it's obviously rushed. If someone decided to heavily revise the game, it could be fixed.

Even E.T. was fixed by some hacker.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I've gone back to playing Version 1 of Taxman and Stealth's awsome port, as it's the only way to access the sheilds/super characters in save mode.

I'm really having lots of fun playing as Knuckles & Tails (and Tails & Tails). The only problem is when you exit a save game with Knuckles and Tails, it changes to Sonic & Tails when you return.
    Is there anyway to keep Knuckles & Tails in save mode?