don't click here

Sonic 1 to get the 3DS treatment.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Arique, May 8, 2013.

1. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
  2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]
    Woop.

3. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Well hot damn!

Sega's pissing away money if this doesn't get a US release.

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I guess SOA and SOJ must not tell each other what they're working on?
    I would think Taxman's widescreen version would be a better base to wait for and start from, instead of releasing a letterboxed game.

5. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Business as usual then.

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    derp nevermind. im tired

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    This version has pop-out 3D effects though, so that's neat I guess?

8. I've been saying they should do this since the 3DS came out. I actually even made a handful of mockups of different 3D games (Sonic 1 included) in 3D, viewable as MPOs on a 3DS browser. Just point your 3DS to "suretobebanned.com/3ds" and you can click on any of the images.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So wait, this isn't TaxStealth's S1 but yet just same old port with added spindash? or is it?

Because if it isn't, Wow, wrong time to release this one SEGA considering it may kill the hype for the definitive S1.

10. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Seems like a missed opportunity but if it's a good port, I'll consider buying it. It amazes me Nintendo hasn't released a single SNES game for the 3DS yet.

11. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Sega has a history of one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing. Nothing new there.

12. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It's not really clear what it is, but based on the page it doesn't seem like Taxman/Stealth's port.
    Some interesting features are mentioned though, like the ability to switch between the US and Japanese version of Sonic 1. (Moving clouds in GHZ, wavy water, etc) Also it has the ability to switch the audio between MegaDrive 1 and MegaDrive 2. No mention of a remastered version like iOS/Android are getting.

It seems like two separate teams had similar ideas, but didn't work together.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    This looks like just a means to establish the 3D Classic line of Mega Drive titles. Sonic 1 is hardly a surprising choice, other than SoA is already up to something with it.

14. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I've been hoping that the Sonic titles would get this treatment alongside the other SEGA 3D Classics so I'm very happy thanks to this. Now I just get to wait for all of them to come over here.

15. Tanks

Tanks

Oh boy, the days of SoA/SoJ confusion are happening all over again! Cyclical history ho! Man those two need to actually get a proper line of communication going because damn, I will be amazed if this isn't a screw up. Unless of course the respective Sonic 1 remakes are restricted to the regions they were developed in. Then that would make sense... That would suck certainly, but it would make sense at least...

16. Clutchy

Clutchy

That One Insane Guy Member

I don't think they'll ever get a proper line of communication, it's been too long since that's happened.

17. woun

woun

Change your world Member
    [​IMG]
    It's 3D effect? Awesome.

18. Extended Play

Extended Play

What!? Banned
    varies
    Project AXSX, teaching C/C++ for GBA

Indeed, and it's not a stretch to think the lack of communication stems from SoJ's somewhat xenophobic history. It's pretty regrettable, considering the most widely accepted "best Sonic game," S2 was influenced by things Naka and co. saw while exploring the United States (most notably, slot machines) and developed by STI. I think the work STI has done was most impressive of anything produced by Sega when you consider the constraints levied on the overworked American staff. SoJ never really gave the American developers a vote of confidence when you consider how little money and manpower SoJ appropriated to SoA. Howard Drossin had so little time to make the Sonic Spinball soundtrack, and he wasn't even allowed to remix any existing Sonic tunes, which really underscores his ability to turn crap into gold.

I like the addition of 3D, don't get me wrong. Widescreen and remastered audio are still things the majority of people who already own the game in at least 3 different forms (most of the people who would buy a copy of the game since 2003) would much rather see, though.

Here's to the 3DS version of Taxman's epic remake we're not getting...
    [​IMG]

And to the firing of Bernie Stolar, and to Sonic Xtreme, and to all the Saturn games that never made it to America...

19. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    While I do wish they would just collaborate with Tax/Stealth on their remake, I am quite excited for this as long as it's decent.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Yeah, this is a different team (M2 I think? They did the previous 3DS classics iirc).