don't click here

Sonic 1 to get the 3DS treatment.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Arique, May 8, 2013.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Is the new one a remake of Space Harrier, or Space Harrier 3D? Because if it's the latter, they could totally call it 3D Space Harrier 3D. :specialed:

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    It's a remake of the regular arcade Space Harrier

3. This is out on the Japanese eShop, right? Has anyone picked it up yet?

4. BluGenesi

BluGenesi

Canada, eh
    Making films
    Actually have mixed opinions on this... For one,I feel that it's awesome to have anything 16 bit redone as a 3ds Classic... Because Nintendo hates us apparently. But then.... It is just Sonic 1. I love the game to death, it's high up on my top ten... But all I can think is that it's very unlikely they would do anything other then the first two. And even if they did release 3 and knuckles, it sure as heck wouldn't be lock on. Still am going to buy it if it makes it stateside for the added features. Space Harrier though... That's awesome!

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

600¥ apparently
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjmPAqNMIIY[/youtube]

6. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I wonder if this is just a ROM packed in an emulator, or a port. If it is a ROM, then we might finally have an official spindash in S1 hack.

7. Tanks

Tanks

We were musing about making a stereoscopic 3D Sonic 1 that yesterday in IRC. Not sure what the technical details were, but it came down to needing to be a ROM hack that would be impossible on an actual Genesis due to the need for an extra 64k of VRAM (though plausible if you're a modder...). I know we're talking spindash, but I figured I'd better drop this here anyway.

EDIT: Have the word from the Gerb.

<GerbilWork> no special code is required in the emulator for this
    <GerbilWork> except to interface with the 3D glasses
    <GerbilWork> it requires the ROM to be adapted for it
    <GerbilWork> two separate hscroll planes, etc
    <GerbilWork> two renderings would be done with two hscroll tables, switching between them in vblank
    <GerbilWork> R/B stereoscopy could be added later on relatively easily
    <GerbilWork> the hard part is implementing the first part, which requires a ROM hack
    <GerbilWork> I don't think you can move the hscroll table to the high 64k
    <GerbilWork> you can, however, move the scroll plane nametables to the high 64k
    <GerbilWork> which would probably free enough memory for hscroll tables in the low 64k
    <GerbilWork> but again, this isn't possible on an actual system unless 1, you solder in another 64k of VRAM, or B, you own a teradrive

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So its a rom then? anyway of extracting it?

9. Tanks

Tanks

We don't know, but its unlikely. That was the point. :V

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Aw, I can already hear sound inaccuracies in Scrap Brain... But I don't know how a MD2 sounds, so it might be the used "sound mode" in effect or something.

EDIT: UGH, that signpost sound. XP

EDIT 2: It does seem like emulation, by the way. There's a split second when he gets the invincibility in Green Hill where you can see the sprite limit make a small part of the rising platforms disappear (also, in Marble's burning platforms).

EDIT 3: The Youtube quality makes the wrecking ball look like it's not flashing, but it looks better than in the leaked video of the mobile port. Now this is odd.

EDIT 4: Why do they call that exaggerated fish-eye lens mode "classic"? It looks nothing like an old TV. That's just stupid.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

It's missing instruments, noticeable on Scrap Brain AND Green Hill. The music sounds more empty.

Also, the classic mode does look like an old CRT, but why would you want it to!? That's the reason we have flat TV's nowadays, because we don't want the bendy glass effect!

Other than the music, the emulation looks pretty good, much better than Classic Collection, which was awful.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I've heard rumors that fish-eye-lens mode has slight item placement changes. Any truth to that?

13. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    I would highly doubt that. Its just a filter more than likely.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Unlikely. Some people just aren't too familiar with S1 it seems. The chap that posted the off-screen footage thought the breakable walls in GHZ were a new features to accommodate the spindash.

15. RedMetallix

RedMetallix

Supreme Thunder Member
    A desk.
    What? Don't be silly.
    What? I can understand being unfamiliar, but that's in the third level of the game.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    and second

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    Better quality footage:

18. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Seems like Sega, for everything they get right, must insist on getting something wrong. That so-called "fisheye lens" filter is just a standard CRT curvature filter, which doesn't even look that good on normal displays, much less the low resolution 3DS top display. From the one video a few posts up (not the one directly above me), it does at least appear to be an option, as when they enter SBZ it looks like a normal unfiltered display. From the video directly above this post, it looks like it also might be applying either NTSC artifact emulation or (most likely) blurring to hide the fake transparency seen at the waterfalls.

Seems like they just couldn't wait for the "remastered" Sonic 1 to be ready in order to use it as the base for the 3DS version. Shameful, if you ask me.

19. Vangar

Vangar

Am I the only one that thinks playing the game in 3D might be fun? It hurts my eyes but classic Sonic in 'pop-out' might be cool to see.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yeah, that's what I was fearing, that the NTSC filter is tied to enabling the fish-eye lens effect, for some absurd reason.

It's almost like they're mocking those who asked for such a thing. "You want your filter? Try playing with it ON A FUCKING SPHERE!"

What's their next "extra" for 3D Sonic 2 going to be? "Fly as Tails BY SHAKING THE 3DS"?