don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    Not the most relevant, but if anyone ever wanted to try their hand at porting/creating a Final Rush stage ('specially for Classic), here's a little song I'm working on that you could use. Big thanks to Joshua Taipale for the guitars.

If it wasn't obvious (to those of you who might have been paying attention, anyway), I've been focusing on my music production far more than mod production as of late; one thing that does mean is that I can help with the musical side of things (for example, producing the hub songs and/or more for CorvidDude's Adventure project), so feel free to let me know if you need that kind of help with a mod. I'm no professional producer by any means, but I'll take any excuse to practice and gain the experience from undertaking such projects.

On that note, Emerald Coast and Windy Valley's hub songs are just about finished up.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I love it. I've found Final Rush tough to listen to lately, so thanks for sprucing it up. That beat drop at 0:43 could use more oomph, though.

3. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    It's a tad too edgy for my tastes. It seems considerably less "happy" than the original somehow, even though it was never a particularly happy song to begin with. It was sort of a neat rock tune that, while a bit dark, nevertheless got players pumped. This... I don't know, maybe it's the oontz that takes away from the feel of the original for me. Generally, Act 1 themes sound a lot livelier and more upbeat than the original versions or the Act 2 versions, the exception being Planet Wisp, which was intentionally taken in the direction of a "Bad Future" theme.

I know this is the second time I've critiqued your music now, and as before my critique is vague and "feeling" based, but don't take it the wrong way. I think you just need to liven it up a little, make it less dark and edgy, and the rest should take care of itself. It's not like you're doing a bad job, by any means.

4. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    No worries whatsoever, I appreciate the constructive feedback. I honestly don't see a huge difference in tone compared to the original, and while I truly appreciate your shared opinion, I don't think I'll be giving the track any major changes at this point. Besides, it's a thing of wonder that I turned out with such a great track at all, I wouldn't know where to start with giving it any sort of overhaul. I'm still an amateur, mind you. :eng101:

5. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Just a preview video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enMR8OMkmVs[/youtube]

6. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Having Sonic go left in the side-scrolling parts is a bit unexpected and disorienting. Other than that it's showing some good progress! I like the concept of modifying a hub world into an action stage, and combining the different areas together looks like it works quite well.

7. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    That looks cool and all, but how does it work? Is it a action stage, or a hub world? It looks confusing at some bits, as if it was going to be a hub, but then was changed into a action stage before it was completed. Stuff like going left while platforming is confusing to the player, as Sonic usually goes right. While it does seem cool, it's confusing when your main focus is usually on the right (as most of the hud elements are on the left).

It looks good, I like it, but it seems confusing. That bit with the quickstep + going upwards seems really unforgiving, as you give the player a bit of time to react before having them go left or right (that's one of my personal gripes with quick dash sections, as they usually don't give enough time for me to react, but that's just me). The stage seems really big, and as a result, it seems like if you just gave somebody a controller and said 'Go', they would get confused, try to navigate the stage, and then just give up as the stage is too big and empty. There's a lot of opportunities to die. For example, the quick step seems to be very.... death-prone. It seems like you can easily die if you accidentally are too slow. While this is a good thing for some, it's around halfway through the stage. In the main stages, there isn't a lot of quickstep-death sections, and if there is, it's on the higher path.

There's also a point where you must boost to go across to the other platform (around 1:22). There is no indication except for a lone enemy that you must go there. It's confusing at times, and it seems like there's no actual direction.

However, that's just my $0.02. And I have to play it, as videos can sometimes be a fairly bad way of saying if something's good or not. But this stage just looks.... weird and just seems unorganized. Maybe it's me, but I don't know. But, as I said, it's just my opinion, and it may change later on, when I play it.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I super like where you're going with this. That bridge section caught my attention.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
  10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Good lord, Amy. I know you're supposed to be a girly-girl, but that run cycle was just painful to watch.

11. Hey Dude, that level looks awesome. One of the coolest original layouts I've seen done in Generations so far. Melponterations is a close second. Can't wait to see you visually spruce it up a little more, and maybe tighten up some of the long sections where nothing's going on.

12. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I know this is kind of an annoying thing to say, and something that a lot of you have probably seen being said too many times for your liking, and not exactly on the topic of Generations hacking, but that's just something I can't stand. I hate when the other characters in a Sonic game are just reskins of Sonic. I gave Shadow a pass in SA2 for being storywise pretty much an "evil twin" character, but that's about as far as my lenience stretches. If Sonic is not the fastest character, then what's the point of him? What makes players want to play him instead of the other characters, aside from his name appearing on the title screen? It's a problem that even S3K, what I consider to be an almost flawless game and the second best in the franchise's history, had. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all moved at the same speed. Knuckles was balanced with a shorter jump that disallowed him from reaching a lot of the places Sonic could reach, but he could also glide and climb certain walls, and Tails... Tails had a smaller hitbox, moved just as fast as Sonic, could fly/swim and completely break most levels, and his super form was "stand-there-and-do-absolutely-nothing-to-win". His only real disadvantage was that he needed all 14 emeralds to go super, and in a game with save files where you could replay any given level, that's not really a disadvantage. Well... Okay, he didn't get shield abilities either, but with his flight, he didn't really need them.

Tl;dr, how this relates to Generations hacking is that making everyone the exact same is something I really don't want to see. Make characters different. Give each character their own pros and cons. And please, don't make other characters as fast as the main character, whose only real supposed advantage over everyone else is his speed.

I really don't even like seeing Shadow move as fast as Sonic these days. In SA2 it was fine, but now... No. The Egg Chasers and such bother me too.

EDIT: I should also note that I'm not a "gotta go fast" speediot. I believe the series needs to go back to physics-based platforming, using the hyper-realistic physics of the classic games. But I don't think it needs to sacrifice the speed of recent games to do so, unlike so many other people.

13. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    It's not like they have a choice. Sonic Generations was more or less designed to be played one way - you can probably massage different playstyles in using specific loadouts, but it's still going to be Sonic Generations underneath it all. Might as well embrace what it does well instead of trying to twist it in to something that it isn't.

14. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Only a few things are easily messed with. That one Blaze mod makes her slower on the ground but she moves faster in the air. That's about all the easy tinkering you can do. Not that I don't agree with you, but I don't think its totally feasible to get some new action like Tails flying working.

15. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    And I don't know about Daku Neko's Silver mod when it comes to speed changes, but said mod gives Silver an extremely long Air Boost to simulate his levitation. But at least with Silver, you can kinda-sorta justify his speed being similar to Sonic's as him using his psychokinesis to fly at high speeds.

Our point is, though we can reskin characters and mess with the existing mechanics to differentiate them from Sonic, we can't introduce new mechanics such as Tails' flight or Knuckles' climbing on walls.

16. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    I need some help with the colision importing. I went through the havoc content tools ringer, and I have the custom collision file on standby, but for some reason, I can't replace the stage's collision file in the Archive Editor. I right-clicked the .hkx file and selected "Replace", but nothing changes. I even checked by placing a spawn on the original stage; the stage still retains its collision. What do I need to do? I'm so excited; this is literally the last thing keeping me from successfully importing this stage!!

17. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFoXEQHq8lw

Dario, MegaGwolf put your hack/mod in the Sonic Hack Showcase! :D

18. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    I meant to edit my post to make note of this specifically, but I had to leave for work and be gone for six hours. I figured at least someone would comment on it since I never got a chance to edit my post, didn't expect three people in a row.

Anyway, yeah, I understand that with Generations hacking, it's kind of hard to work outside the box you're given. I've seen things like that Silver mod where he can levitate, or a Knuckles mod where he can glide, or that Blaze mod where she runs slower and jumps higher, and those are all things that just modify the basic moveset Sonic already has in order to make it more similar to the other characters. Still, I give the makers of those mods major credit for at least trying to differentiate the characters a bit. Model swaps get a bit boring, I really appreciate seeing people try to change things up as much as they can. I guess I was complaining more about new official releases than anything else though; they really need to stop making official games where either all characters are the exact same, or else certain characters are just flat-out better than others.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, can someone tell me where to find the blue "sparks" that appear when drifting or sliding? I figured they'd be in SonicActionCommon.ar.00, but I'm not sure, and there's a ton of stuff in there anyway. I'm wanting to see if there's a way of making them rainbowy, like in Colours. I doubt there's a way of making them smoothly transition colours, since even JoeTE hasn't managed that with his Hyper Sonic mod, but I figure I could probably alter the texture itself so that it appears as if it's cycling through colours. It's a bit of a cheat, but whatevs.

19. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    lol, I love how he whines about the lack of official DLC, and at least he admits he sucks at the level.

20. StR Speedy

StR Speedy

Starlight Carnival
    Colors Porting
    Nevermind about my last post; it seems I've developed a really bad habit of asking for help before looking around these last few posts. However, here's a question that doesn't seem to have a readily available answer: How do I change the skybox? I imported Sweet Mountain Act 1 into Generations (over Planet Wisp). I can add most objects and splines fine, but this one is troubling me alot. Since I got these files from the Models Resource, I have the Sweet Mountain skybox on standby as an object file. I know that this file must in some way be converted to a .model file, but I don't know anything else in this area.