don't click here

Sonic Zero: Remastered

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Sonic Zero: Remastered is back with an all new build! This is the first build to feature the games excessive graphic overhaul, thanks to Gamernerd Advance, and sports levels from both the 2009 and 2011 demos. Now there is a new mission system (ala Generations), all playable as Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy Rose (courtesy of E-122-Psi).

This package is small, but a few weeks after SAGE, there will be a new build called the "After-Party," which will feature more polish, new bosses, more missions, and a whole new Zone to play!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In this demo there are three missions:
    • Get to the Goal
    • Badnik Beatdown
    • Race Amy Rose (Sonic if playing as Amy)

Credits:
    • Kaosu - Director, Manager, Character Art, & Music Composer
    • LarkSS - Programmer & Lead Assistant
    • Gamernerd Advance - Lead Level Artist, Some Sprites
    • Sparks - Level design, Assistant Level Artist & Sprites
    • Techokami - Programming Assistance, Sprite Assistance, Testing
    • Rathe - Sonic, Robotnik & Metal Sonic Sprites
    • Rael0505 - Parallax
    • Chronic - Level Art Contributions
    • Dimensionwarped & Overbound - "Madcap Grotto Zone"
    • Stephen "Strife" DiDuro - Freedom Planet @ http://freedomplanet.galaxytrail.com/
    • GsukiTsukenFunaga - Tails Sign
    • E-122-Psi - Amy Rose Sprites
    • Bluejayfusion - Snout & Dragonfly Designs
    • Game built using "Sonic Worlds" by Damizean & Co.
    • Sonic the Hedgehog, original graphics, and all related (c) SEGA

Download the demo at Sonic Zeros booth, hosted by Techokami at Holenet.info!
    http://holenet.info/SonicZeroSAGE2012/

2. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Ya'll wanna see mah titties?! Member
    Wilmington, DE
    Sonic: Edge Of Darkness
    I'm gonna sound retarded as shit right now, but which button is the start button? I was somewhat confused on what to do on the control configuration screen and now I have no idea what button it is, and I've tried pretty much every key I can think of.

3. Sparks

Sparks

An updated version has been uploaded with vsync off. Be sure to refresh just in case.

Delta: The configuration screen is where you set up whatever button you want to be whatever, so it's up to you if you want Start to be Enter, etc. If you need to reset your Configuration, delete "last" from Data\Profiles. You might have forgotten to set a key for enter.

4. Delta Hedgehog

Delta Hedgehog

Ya'll wanna see mah titties?! Member
    Wilmington, DE
    Sonic: Edge Of Darkness
    I deleted the one I already had, re-downloaded and got it a while ago, but thanks for the help anyway.

5. bluejayfusion

bluejayfusion

Ha ha! I just watched some playthroughs of the demo on Youtube and it is KICKASS!!!

All of the people who have said that Sparks makes great gimmicks... holy smoke, no doubt about that... geysers, huge sand worms, the amy race, billboards shouting out Freedom planet, the 'sub-bubbles' enemy that creates a vortex... epic... really really epic stuff.

The levels look great! Palmtree Parkway is better than a lot of the levels in the Sonic Advance games and I was duly impressed with the great use of pipes and water spouts in Tidal Tubes. But perhaps most of all, I enjoyed watching my dragonfly enemy wiping the floor with various players... I think I may have cried at some point. It's movements were so fluid and the way it drops those exploding spike balls and reloads- so proud.

Gosh I wish my freaking laptop could handle Zero- this demo is off the hook. If I had not had lunch date with a super fine chick earlier, this would certainly have been the highlight of my day!

...although for damn sure it was a lot less expensive... ha ha.

Well done, Team Zero.

6. Sparks

Sparks

I designed most the gimmicks, but it's Lark who programs them and brings them to life. He's the one who makes them epic! Good stuff, isn't it? :)

Glad you liked seeing your badniks come to life too! Snout is also in Palmtree Parkway.

7. bluejayfusion

bluejayfusion

Indeed. You guys are a great team.

My props go out to Lark for his programming magic.

I did, of course, enjoy seeing Snout... however... I think the high point of Palmtree Parkway is the giant sand worms. They are mindblowing. Whose idea was that?!
    They completely steal the show. I don't think anyone sees it coming.

Also, I applaud the decision to have Sonic complete quests rather than acts. Zero is a fantastically entertaining fan-game.

8. Relick

Relick

England
    C++/DX10 Engine (not sonic related)
    Is there anyway to launch it at fullscreen (or at least twice the size)? While it was fun to play (understatement of the decade - it was amazing) I am finding it really difficult to focus on the small box.

9. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Press Alt + Enter at any time to toggle between fullscreen and windowed mode.

10. Relick

Relick

England
    Ah, thanks so much. That's made it 10 times easier to play.

Great game Sparks/Lark!

Only got a couple of problems with the game:
    It is impossible to leave a level (without restarting the game) after you enter it.
    The hub world is slightly confusing, I didn't realise initially that there was an entrance underwater.

Also, there was a bug in the 'get to the goal' level. About halfway through all air bubbles stopped appearing (not even from sonic's mouth, or the badnik). I also couldn't drown either. Not sure what happened, but maybe it thought the sea was above sea or something.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Thanks for the feedback! Was a problem just finding the missions, or even aware that there was another? I'm thinking a solution to a bit of both will be moving the rings a bit and then making a hud that shows how many missions are left.

12. Relick

Relick

England
    Well, I wasn't sure how many missions were left, or there even were to start with. I just assumed that if you did one mission you unlocked one of the 'unavailable' rings. So I guess the HUD would help. Also, since the pathways allowed you to run across the water I thought that it was only a spring to bounce back up down there. Maybe make some sort of stylised arrow pointing down saying "Mission down here!" or something

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Can we have an option to turn off the expensive effects? Everything underwater was skewed to the right for me, and I suspect that is a significant cause of how slow this game was for me. It took around 5 seconds for one in-game second to pass!

14. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    FAPFAPFAP

I've been waiting so long to play this and I wasn't dissapointed. Amazing work, guys.

Is the Battlebird armada still in the game then? The end sign post confused me a little.

15. bluejayfusion

bluejayfusion

Since I've already given this game my whole-hearted praise, I hope you don't mind a few pieces of constructive criticism.

- The 'hub world' might be better if it didn't have the same visuals as Tidal Tube Zone. Now that Sage is over, maybe give it a face-lift and rename it Warp Zone or something.
    Maybe Sonic being stuck there and going through portals to complete missions is somehow part of the plot line.

- While I get that weird face on the goal post is the game's antagonist (right?), it's a little off-putting.

- I liked that ancient ruin stage where Sonic has to eliminate all the badniks but the name seems kind of off- Tidal Tubes made sense. But Tidal Sewers?
    If its a water ruin, might I suggest Sunken City Zone. If it's a sewer, how about Mystery Mire... oh Zelda reference.

Oh damn, it would be completely 'sick' if you added water dripping off the ceiling and the drip-echo cave sound effect to that stage.

16. I definitely enjoyed what I played, but the Tidal Tubes "Get the Goal" level seems to lag for me, and is the only one that does so even though the hub world has the same level stuff.

But otherwise really stellar! I look forward to seeing more.

17. Minferno

Minferno

Well this game was super cool!
    This is what I thought of it:

- The level design was great! I liked the gimmicks.
    - Get to The Goal lagged for me (like RGamer), on a computer that runs Generations, GTAIV and BatmanAC just fine. I dunno how this could be fixed though.
    - The thing that was off putting was that all the levels in the 'hub world' weren't Tidal Tubes themed. Maybe you could change the hub or make it a bit like SAdv3 where there's a main theme in the hub and all the missions that you find in that hub are related to that level. Maybe once you've completed it, you could move onto a different hud like Palmtree parkway?
    - Great character choice; I liked the input of Amy.

Overall though the game was good; a few tweaks here and there would improve it drastically. (not that it's bad now or anything)

18. bluejayfusion

bluejayfusion

Separate hub-areas with each zone's theme like in Kirby's Adventure. Ingenious.
    You guys clearly made a great demo- the fans have been inspired!

Seriously, the hub and mission concept was a smart way to go.
    We got the chance to sample a little bit of each zone and what the mission-oriented gameplay was all about.
    A lesser team working under a deadline would have cut zones and featured only a single level, but your demo felt very complete.

19. Sparks

Sparks

The Battle Kukkus are in, but for people who want Classic style gameplay, as well as liking the Mission style gameplay, both parties will be satisfied: in the final release, Mission Mode will be unlocked after beating Classic Mode, which will have a follow-up storyline featuring the Battle Kukkus (so missions are plot-related). Classic Mode has the more traditional Robotnik story-line. In each mission hub, there will be the normal zones, as well as types of levels like Tidal Sewers (Mystery Mire is cool though...) to keep Mission Mode from being a lone repetition of Classic Mode. Kukkus will also be abundant in Mission mode.

[​IMG]

He's only on the sign still because I haven't designed a new Eggman sign yet for normal mode. :V

The Hub won't be for all Missions in the game, each Zone will have its own hub. Tidal Tubes is just the first one we've shown off. The race in Palmtree Parkway will also have a few graphics tweaked, and in later demos will be a mission in the Palmtree Parkway hub, and the AI made a lot easier. It was only in this demo since the level was already made. The level design in the race is also not the level design for the Zone itself, since the races are designed specifically for racing another character. :u

In later builds, Tidal Tubes will have its owned themed "race" level, as well as other zones.

When recording the AI, I made the bad assumption that a lot of speed runners would play the demo, so I tried to keep Amy from being too easy. When you play as Amy, Sonic is a bit more merciful. Tidal Tubes is also designed with speed-runners in mind, as well as normal players.

Definitely considered, but it is meant to be a sewer, not a ruin. It was a spare tileset Gamernerd had contributed to Sonic Zero and I wanted to make some use of it (some of its parts are re-used in Tidal Tubes and Madcap Mine, to imply the sewer is somewhere between the zones).

The lag seems to be a problem still on a lot of computers, so there's been a lot of tweaking going on to increase optimization, but the Team will probably not release a newer version until the After-Party build (which will likely be around Christmas). The issue was something in the Get to the Goal mission specifically, and not any other level. It's an embarrassing glitch since we ran short on time and couldn't get all the beta-testers on board, so this demo was a jump into the dark, and something the Zero Team isn't going to repeat. The no bubbles/no drowning glitch is also being fixed. The cause is when you die underwater and regenerate at a checkpoint underwater (if water levels are hard though this might be advantageous :ssh: )

If you are having lag, the Zero Team invites you to help us beta test newer builds so that we can be sure the lag problem is gone. Just send Kaosu or me a PM.

Glad to hear people like the result so far though! Any input and glitch reports is highly appreciated, and we've had plenty of both this year (lol). Not a bad thing though, it means the Team is taking the feedback to make sure these problems are eliminated. :)

[​IMG]
    Here's a mock up done for a new HUD in the Badnik Beatdown mission. Does the HUD seem to help? Death will also be disabled in the mission. The Mission Hubs will have something similar, but with a Mission counter.

tl;dr: glitches will be fixed, mission mode will be heavily expanded in later builds, more fun to come at Christmas

20. Minferno

Minferno

That HUD seems like it would help a lot; I was unsure as to how many enemies there were, let alone how many were left. :p
    This is just my opinion, but I don't think death should be disabled. How could you lose? Maybe you could only have 1 ring that you are automatically given at the start (you fall onto it or something) and you have to keep it otherwise you risk death.

Also, do you need level ideas for future hubs? Because I have quite a few ideas for levels that I probably wont be using anytime soon (I swear I've said that quite a few times now in this forum :I)