don't click here

Sonic Generations Hacking (and More!)

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Andrew75, Jun 23, 2011.

1. I just signed up for a student account after you mentioned that, and I have just started downloading the 2012 version from their site. It's kind of a big file (3.1GB?!) but thanks for mentioning student accounts. I will install it and I will go through the procedures on importing geometry into SGLvl and see if it works!

2. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    Actually if you can provide me with the files Blender exports to check(the whole .scene folder with the whole stuff in it), I'd appreciate it. I really want to support Blender as well, forcing people to use 3DS Max is annoying, but it's needed for Collision. In theory it should work, since the ogre format is common between the two.

3. I'm not sure what you're saying (again, I'm new to all this stuff), but when I export the level as .scene, this is what Blender exports: http://www.mediafire...39y2orbc2ott5dr

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Don't think this has been posted yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi-rlE6d7Iw

Update vid.

5. I've finally gotten Peach's Castle geometry correct (though it is quite big). Now how do I create the collision? I have absolutely no clue on how to create collision. I have Havok Content Tools installed onto 3DS Max 2011, but I don't know how to use it. If anyone can tell me step by step on how to create the collision, that would be a big help. Oh, and one other thing: the grass from Green Hill is still showing. How do I get rid of it? I've already removed visibility-tree.vt as suggested by DustArma. (Image below of the magical flying grass)

[​IMG]

6. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    The green hill grass is there due to the instancing, you have to remove it from one of the xml files on the #ghz200.arl.00 (don't remember which. Deleting the vis tree fixes another different issue.

7. Removing the grass instancing from Instancer.stg worked like a charm! I just need to figure out how to make the collision. Do you know how to make collision? I need help on it, as I've never worked with these kind of tools in my life.

Edit: Of course, anyone else can teach me how to make collision.

8. Dario FF

Dario FF

All you have to do is apply to any objects you want collision the Modifiers "Havok Shape"(Set to mesh type if you want accurate collision) and "Havok Rigid Body", then follow the tutorial on the help folder for exporting.

9. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Does the shape matter? Is it Per Poly Collision?

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Only if you set the shape type to 'mesh'

11. Blivsey

Blivsey

Charismatic Sonicaholic Member
    See, a stage like Sky Troops is perfect for Generations. Modern Sonic already knows about the Black Arms, so his path through the level would have him destroying the Arms' ships rather than the Carriers. Classic, on the other hand, believes those techno-radical aliens are helping him take out Rubatnek, so he helps them blow up the Egg Fleet on his way to the Goal Ring. Might not have been intentional on Melpontro's part, but it works beautifully. A reskin of the Iblis enemies would be useful for replicating the Black Arms here.

12. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Coming Soon from JoeTE (If anybody wanted Robo-Sonic from Colors):

13. Flare

Flare

Sky Troops, not the greatest level from Shadow... BUT I do think it has the best music tune.

14. I applied Havok Shape and Havok Rigid Body to the level, but I still fall through it. There is an image of my setup provided below. I've also provided the physics file that I exported through the Havok Content Tools. Hopefully this will help you figure out what I did wrong.

Physics File: http://www.mediafire...ox9g92ops6h18v9

Trash, please. I've gotten it figured out, all I had to do was set the System Units to meters.

15. Yarharhar

Yarharhar

Oldbie
    I must be missing something trying to reimport sonic's model (seeing as other people have done it now).

1. I take the chr_Sonic_HD.model file from sonic.ar0/ar1 in bb3.cpk
    2. Use the import script in Max2011 to import it, making sure units are set to 1 meter.
    3. Export with Easy Ogre Exporter
    4. Convert the ogre mesh back to a .model with SonicGLvl
    5. I stick the model file back in a copy of the ar, which I use as a mod for generations.

Upon generations trying to use the model (going to the hub world) the game crashes.

Possibilities why it's not working that I noticed
    1. In step 4, the ogre mesh I am converting is labeled "Object001.mesh" and not chr_Sonic_HD. The skeleton, similarly, is labeled Object001.skeleton. Is this screwing up bone or skeleton references?
    2. I'm only replacing the mesh in the ar file, do I need to replace any other files as well to make it work with a reimport?
    3. Does sonicGLvl need to be aware that the mesh I'm converting has a skeleton, somehow?

16. DinodudeEpic

DinodudeEpic

I combined two Sonic Generations mods together. (One is Classic Sonic Adventures, and the other is Sonictheplumber's changes to Classic Sonic's physics.)

It was actually very fun to play as Classic Sonic, with more authentic physics, in 3D. Believe it or not, Classic Sonic can actually go even faster than Modern Sonic, if the latter doesn't boost at all.

It is really minor, but I still found it to be kinda fun. And, I did use FRAPS.

17. Dario FF

Dario FF

Nope, Nope, and Nope. :v:

Send the the .model file and I'll check it in hex instead to see what's wrong.

18. Falk

Falk

If we can figure out how to correctly implement normal-doubletime transitions in custom stages (GHZ/SSZ) I'm willing to remake Metal Harbor music with those variations. (for clarity you can't just make a doubletime version to use with the existing track because the swaps will be very noticable compared to GHZ/SSZ due to differences in the rest of the track other than drums)

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Info update on JoeTE's Robo-Sonic skin mod:

20. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

For those of you who are still unaware (a lot of you, it seems), I am SonicthePlumber. Just to let you know.
    Also this is pretty neat, I didn't know how well my physics changes would work in 3d.

Also I'm just about done with the terrain for Sweet Mountain. I've nearly doubled the polygon count:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]