don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I actually really doubt it'll be out tomorrow, there's been nothing to suggest other than speculation, and SEGA seem to be becoming less and elss predictable as of late.

I hope it works with iOS 4 + because my iPod 2nd Gen can run all the other Sonic games well, so it would be a dick move to exclude everyone who bought EpI for those devices.

2. SonicHyuga

SonicHyuga

Tennessee
    Sky Rail (Generations) and Aquarium Park (Generations)
    I just hope they improve the look. Looking at Episode 1 on iOS was absolutely terrible. The low poly... o_o

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-2-227189.phtml

Jim Sterling hates it, and gave the game a 5/10. Funny, he actually liked Winter Park Act 2 (Called it a "highlight") and apparently preferred Ep 1 to this game. He complements it for trying to fix the physics and Sonic & Tails combos, but says the repetitive and bad music, slow level design, and stale, old time gimmicks make the game very boring.

Funny, because the problems he presented are the same problems from Ep 1, only with more plastic, worse physics, and worse level design. Gotta love how he talks out of his ass with Sonic games.

4. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    This guy just blasts anything with Sonic on the label just because people expect him to do it. This is his usual fare of praising the game generally, and then deciding it sucks because hur dur sonic sux. I'd appreciate the man's opinion if he actually gave some decent critique. I do agree with him on the boss music though.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well the boss music should have been remade. The pinch music barely worked in Ep 1, but back then those boss fights lasted a minute, not 3 or 4. And the first half of those bosses used Eggman's carnival music. Metal Sonic's boss theme works better. It's funny, Sterling gave good grades to Ep 1 and Colors 3DS, but gave bad grades to Ep 2 and Colors Wii. I believe he enjoys automated speed speed speed. Doesn't seem to care for platforming.

6. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Think that was actually one of the worst reviews I've ever read from the guy, and I've read some shit from him.

Next Sonic game we should introduced intergalactic physics that let you stand on 180 degree angles and have level designs consisting of ramps with speed boosters lined up across them. I wonder if then Jim will be happy. :rolleyes:

7. That's the problem with a lot of reviewers when it comes to Sonic. Sonic really is a hard series to get into. It is very difficult for people to find everything Sonic has to offer in a short period of time. Most reviewers have at the most, a week to look at a game, and that's not really enough time to really get Sonic. This is especially apparent with Modern Sonic, who has so many tricks that he can do and, along with how fast he can go, makes it really hard for non-Sonic fans to enjoy the game.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Jim Sterling though claims to "understand" Sonic games though, that's the problem. His perspective is warped. Not to say Ep 2 deserves to be put on the same pedestal as Sonic 2 or 3, but it doesn't deserve a 5.

9. Machenstein

Machenstein

He gave Sonic Colors Wii a 4/10. Does that mean this game is better than Colors?

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

As it's own game, a 5/10 sounds about right to me. As Sonic 4, it should be a lot less. So I kind of agree with the score, but not the reasons for it.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I agree with alot of what he has said especially about it being uninspiring and has awful repetitive music. I feel 5 out of 10 is a fair score.

12. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    At the end of the day, it's a small downloadable game, and should be judged accordingly. If it was a retail title I'd understand most of the complaints. I hope this comes out on the Vita as it's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to pick up and play while I'm on the move. I'll certainly get it for iPhone.

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Though I agree with some of his points, I feel like many of them are amazingly exaggerated to the point of hyperbole (though my perspective is limited, as I haven't actually played the game yet myself), especially the music (auditory agony Jim, really?)

Also, because of the way he describes 5/10:

"Mediocre: 5s are an exercise in apathy, neither Solid nor Liquid. Not exactly bad, but not very good either. Just a bit "meh," really. Basically, this is like a "7" on your grandfather's blog."

I guess I think its a fair critical score, though it is somewhat negative.

14. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Just posting something I did to expand on the video I posted 4 pages back

Here's a 720p play through the first zone of the beta using Super Sonic for the majority.

Enjoy!

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think what puts me off is that he thought ep 1 was better and that got an 8/10. Now if that got a 5 and this got a 6 then I'd be ok. Personally id give it a 6.5 or 7

16. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    I hope by now you all have learned not to take anything Jim Sterling says about the Sonic franchise seriously. His idea of what constitutes a good Sonic game is - to put it lightly - radically different than most of ours.

17. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    This is the reason why I don't take Jim Sterling seriously. The man IMO is a complete tit. He's also expeted to trash talk about anything games related because that's what he does best.
    It's also best to not take one mans opinions and believe everything. It's your choice to believe him as it is your choice to believe what I say.

18. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Have there been any other reviews of Episode 2 yet?

19. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    "Hurrdurr sanik suxs give me stuff SEGA kthxbai".

The only thing that pisses me off is that his review counts as Destructoid as a whole when its scored on Metacritic. Wish they just ban his ass off Sonic games and have somebody more respected and neutral who knows what hes talking about when it comes to sonic games review for Destructoid.

20. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    ...I don't know. While some people will call him out for "trolling for hits" especially from the easily excitable Sonic fanbase, from my time with the Steam version, I kind of agree with him. Sure, the game was all right to play through the first time, but ever since I beat the game weeks ago, I've not felt like going back to it for any reason. Episode I still has me going back from time to time just to see if I can shatter my scores or times on the leaderboards. I even agree that most of the soundtrack just plain sucked, as within the first day I replaced a good chunk of the tracks in the game with other music from the series, never mind that some of the levels dragged on or just felt uninspired only accentuated by the fact that some of the music loops painfully short (30 seconds) for a level that lasts about three minutes. Sylvania Castle 3 and the Boss music are especially guilty of this.

P.S. White Park 3 using Limestone Cavern from Sonic Adventure is surprisingly fitting, hauntingly so.

Problems were fixed with this game in terms of physics, but everything else just feels so... well, it feels like they phoned the rest of the game in. In terms of music, I'm curious to see if they'd be willing to allow the rest of Sega Sound Team take a crack at a 16bit-esque line up (I'd argue even giving it to Naofumi Hataya instead of Jun Senoue) or having Alex Makhlouf get the biggest wet dream of his life and let him take a crack at some original Classic Sonic styled music.

Those are just my two cents, though.