don't click here

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chimpo, Dec 29, 2011.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I find it funny that my musical posts are usually overlooked...just an observation.

In any case, it's really easy to improve the game's songs just by adding a little variety to the notes, and re orchestrating them.

2. serpx

serpx

Doesn't mean your music changes aren't any good. I personally don't have access to sound at the moment otherwise I'd listen. Now, even if I did listen, usually I don't comment as I don't have much to say, and I know what one-line comments get you in this thread. I really enjoy what people here are doing with the music though, and I hope it doesn't stop. The songs in this game aren't bad, and some people are making mediocre songs into awesomesauce.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Okay thanks, well hopefully someone will notice.

It's just that I think I've posted two others, with no comments, so it's rather strange. Ah well- the internet is a strange place.

I'd like to hear an orchestra; Death Egg Mk II. Either I will do it, or someone else will.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I still prefer the original overall the song lost it's fast attack and rythmic groove, and I prefer the short version featured ingame :V BUT. It's a nice try. I wouldn't be able to do any better haha.

Also, the game with forced antialiasing looks good!

[​IMG]

5. Well after giving some time on it, YES, it's a huge improvement over Episode 1, but right now the music style concerns me. Ok, so with Episode 1, Sonic 4 is suppose to be following after Sonic 3&K, then, it's changed to being a part of the Sonic CD story, so now whilst the visuals have improved, ...why go for the Genesis style sound? Sonic CD didn't even have that, it had a proper PCM score, A lot of the tracks in Episode 2 are better composed (Oil Ocean Act 1 is awesome) and I'm liking how in the last two zones, they all feature the same riff or melody in all the acts (yet not in the first two zones, again, inconsistent) but here the instruments and somewhat arrangement let them down, surely if it's following Sonic CD now, then it would benefit the tracks to go full on to?? Considering the tracks are already bit stream, it would make no difference at all to the file size and there's no Wii version to worry about now either. That's what's been on my mind since hearing the soundtrack.

Also, a point on that, Stardust Speedway, whilst cool yo see it represented, to me, in this style, it sounds more like it's sick, sort of Stardust Speedway Ill Future.

6. Two things...

First off, is there anywhere that this can still be downloaded? I think I was told that Steam took it down, and I would really like to give this a try.

Second off, if I can't see for myself, did the physics get fixed since the last game? It's hard to tell through video, and I hated how you could lose all forward momentum mid-jump.
    ---
    I will say this about what I've seen. I now really want to see a 3D version of the Genesis Sonic games, now that I've seen what they could possibly look like (Sky Fortress really sold me on the visual aspect). I know that there's S2HD, and S3HD, but I'd love to see something like a S3-3D.

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Steam took it down and there's no other legitimate way to obtain it. Wait till release.

Depends on what you mean by "fixed". There is actually momentum now, so you don't suddenly lose all momentum in a jump, but it's still not accurate to the old games. Rolling still sucks, for instance.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    1 Asking for download links can lead you to a ban! Use google. I can just say it's already all over the internet.

2 The physics are a lot nicer now. Much closer to the Genesis, just the rolling is off but not bad at all!

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sonic, Tails and Metal all keep horizontal movement when you let go of left/right, but Super Sonic doesn't for some reason. The wall sticking issue has been partially fixed. If you try to walk on walls you'll still do that moonwalk thing though standing dead on them just isn't possible at all. Rolling is better in E2, but unchanged in EM. It's never more useful than running and won't pick up much speed unless you're on steep slope, though on the plus side you won't lose speed stupidly fast either. There's one U-shaped area of terrain in White Park too. If you start off high enough, you can get Sonic to slowly roll higher and higher each time if you just keep a hold of down. But again, running is still better.

10. dsrb

dsrb

Oh wow! Let me guess—it's not a bug; it's a feature, an extra-special privilege of Super Sonic? :rolleyes:

11. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Or maybe since you're playing a pretty early beta, it hasn't been changed yet?

12. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    You mean when you get to the top of a ledge? The same thing used to annoy me in Sonic 3 all the time, haha. You've just got to make sure you get both characters totally over the wall, then I usually just jump off and home forward.

13. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    It's clearly not that early. The only obvious problems are a texture bug in the first level and an instant-99-rings cheat, aside from that I expect this to be pretty much what we get next month.

14. Sorry about the download request. I figured since it was released on Steam, even if it was by accident, then it would be fine. Didn't mean to break any rules.

So, can I just assume that if I can run Ep. 1 on my computer, that Ep. 2 should work just fine?

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Well, knowing how Steam patches up bugs for games on a regular basis, it would be much appreciated if they took the time to do the same for this game after its release.

Generations has only seen one patch update, so it leads me to assume that Sonic titles aren't really a priority in tweaking, even though they are in desperate need of it.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think the Japanese are very new to this idea of "patching" a game. Their tradition is more along the lines of re-releasing the game and charging full price for it (hi Capcom).

It all stems back to the PC - there's a really long history in the west of downloading patches for stuff via the internet, which is more convienient on a computer than it was on the consoles. But the Japanese don't really have that. They don't really have a PC community with companies building Unreal Engines or operating systems or whatever. Once they reach version 1.0 they're done - they don't think so much about 1.1s and 1.5s unless there are show stopping bugs. Or at least that's the impression I get.

Of course, this history means they're not great with online stuff in general. This is why Nintendo have been slow. Sega used to have the advantage of a US development branch forcing this stuff, but that doesn't seem to really exist anymore.

17. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Depends on your computer and how smoothly you expect it to run. For me, while Episode 1 runs at approximately 50-60 frames per second at any given time, Episode 2 can dip a fair bit, causing input lag and being a bit frustrating at times.

18. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I did two more 'remixes' for White Park Act 1 and Oil Desert Act 1.

I'm finding it kinda easy to find instruments that sound like the originals. I immediately knew what patches to use for White Park Act 1, but Oil Desert Act 1 required a bit more browsing though as I found things to use. I couldn't find that weird square like lead for it, and I had to use VOPM (which I doubt Jun Senoue used) and stole a preset from Metal Head (32X) for that weird FM Guitar/Sitar synth in the back. If you think Jun Senoue likes to over abuse certain instruments in his songs, check out Metal Head's soundtrack - each song consists of like two patches and both of them are electric guitars that are featured in every single song sgohigsoirgh. I tried doing Act 2 but got stuck in the beginning part (the 'duck' part).

For MIDIs I'm just watching here for any that pop up.

19. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    How exactly do you guys go through the process of replacing the music in the game? I want to add some "Authentic" Sonic music tracks into it, but I really don't know where to start.

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

lol, this was asked on SSMB this morning. There's the sound folder, and all the music is in "SONICDL_SNG01.CPK". You'll need something to unpack and repack .cpk files, and on top of the the music itself is in .aax files, so you need whatever music you want in the same format.