don't click here

Sonic 2 HD

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Canned Karma, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deef

Deef

Tyvm Falk.

BTW - Time Over doesn't reset the clock.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The only complaint I've heard against the palette with a rational basis is contrast, and here you've halved the distance between Sonic and the background's brightness and hue. The colors are fine, guys. This is the sort of sodomy that doomed the project to begin with!

3. SANiK

SANiK

Tech Member
    Sonic is too pale, and the effects make it look like sun-set instead of high-noon.

4. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I honestly think just fine-tuning the contrast on the current Sonic would be enough for me, though it might cause some problems with consistency (this is an extreme example). The Sonic 2 palette may be easier to see, but it's substantially uglier and off-model. Gameplay before graphics, but find new solutions rather than fall back on the old ones. I'd also rather the title screen, despite how lovely it is, be changed to the final mostly because I can't get past how awkward it looks for Sonic to tilt his wrist back and forth while holding that peace sign.

I don't really want to complain about the art direction too much as I'm actually pretty content with it. Sonic and Tails' sprites in particular; Tails because he animates really well, Sonic because I think the Sonic 2 sprite looked like ass anyway (the only wonky animation that stuck on me is the looking up frame, since it's still just his head rotating to an absurd angle). Compared to what directions people were originally pushing it in (Even more of a 1:1 match to the point where it retained blatant flaws in the art, changing intermittent parts of the level so that the style wasn't cohesive, or shoving realistic textures into a stylized environment where they classed horribly) this is a sort of nice breaking-even.

5. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    No kidding. Can't wait till we start debating what shade of grey the clouds should be and whether the curve of each blade of grass precisely matches the original tileset. I really missed that.

6. Deef

Deef

Ok this always had me wondering when I was a kid, and now it's just ticking me off.

The magic tunnels in EHZ. Sometimes I get in them, sometimes I try for a good 30 minutes. I'm referring to the hidden tunnels where you jump in from the left, with a vertical spring near their entrance that must be avoided.
    Is it just random or what?

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well at least we know where LOst used shaders! Look at the objects in the lava/behind it, it has some distortion shader :O!

Meh~~

8. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hmm. Well, I'll agree that LOst's uncooperative nature isn't our problem. It's entirely fucked up and I will exercise my human right to be disappointed after learning of it, but it isn't my problem. In fact, I never said it was!

However, LOst's DRM shenanigans are definitely not just the team's problem. Like I said before, LOst didn't make NakaSMK possible all by himself. Not only that, but his implementations here are beginning to step into a legal grey area. One that Sega might not appreciate all too much. I for one don't particularly like the idea of Sega clamping down on all the fun stuff we do here because LOst is a paranoid egomaniac with no idea how to handle something as big as Sonic 2 HD. Then there is the license "agreement" I never agreed to. That is also quite definitely my problem, and the problem of anyone else who wants to play the Sonic 2 HD Alpha.

I'm going to leave the final point I made alone. You didn't address it any sort of way, which I can only take to mean that you feel that issue is one that should rightly be discussed outside of the team.

9. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Accessed Hill Top Zone. It's very incomplete and I'm guessing the fire is just a placeholder. I do like the heatwave effect, though, very nice. There is no boss at the end of act 2 BUT you can spawn the sprite with debug mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I believe they activate depending on the plane you're currently coming from, as in the two planes loops need to work.

Try getting to the other end of the tunnel, then going back to the entry.

11. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member

The backgrounds better be the most gorgeous things ever, because this just looks like a pallatte-swap of EHZ.

Suggestion for the fire: Make it into lava. Lava that is on fire.

12. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Well, you know, the original was also just a palette swap of EHZ. It wouldn't be Sonic 2 HD if it wildly changed that.

13. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    ...have you by any chance ever played Sonic 2?

14. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    I don't think "wildly" is the point. Personally I'd have expected some liberties to have been taken to differentiate the two levels a bit more while still leaving the connection obvious. This would go in hand with the greater level of detail thing, such as how extra plantlife was sprinkled around, or details in texturing of the ground tiles, or something like that. Obviously changing the graphics completely would be uncalled-for since this is based on an existing design, but if you wanted to be as anal about it as not further differentiating the two at all just because the original game saved on space by using the same tileset data, you probably shouldn't be doing anything to "HD-ify" it at all, because this looks different than the original game, too. Nothing more "faithful" than the real thing

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It wasn't THAT similar, was it? It's been a while since I last played it.

16. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    The original game loads art data for HTZ from the exact same location that it loads art data for EHZ, and then overlays it with a small bit of patch data for the trees and S tunnels

17. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    True, this ties in to how HDifying things implies changing them to make them take advantage of the resolution. So it would probably be for the best if they at least somewhat differentiated them, otherwise why would we play their version instead of the original?

18. ReBirFh

ReBirFh

I must say I'm surprised with this game it looks and plays better than I though it would after all this drama, my system is old and was able to run it pretty well with only a few frames skipping and somewhat long (~1 min) loading of the second act after the score score finished computing.

I'm digging the style and it felt great to replay my first Mega Drive game with HD graphics I sincerely hope that all the party involved in this don't let all the undeserved criticism lower your morale, keep up the great work.

I'm not obsessed with physics like most of the people here but I felt them a bit slippery but I guess its my system acting up.

-------- Here is my system spec ----

XP SP3
    Processor Core 2 Duo E6750
    RAM 2 GB DDR2
    Video Intel Integrated Graphics G33/31 Chipset <-- Yep, I wasn't even going to try playing but in the end it surprised me, there's no "OMG Crysis requiriment" going on.

Edit: But the DRM is bullshit and unecessary it could even make SEGA try to shutdown this even though they don't usually do that.

19. Deef

Deef

One thing that is impressive...
    With debug mode I put over 200 sprites on screen. I don't think the client even noticed. Not a single flicker.

20. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    At this point, I'd like to point out to some people that "old" is a relative term, and that fact is becoming more and more important as time goes by. A matter of a fixed number of years from the ever-moving "present" doesn't really change the fact that this is still 2D and based on a game that was built for a 7mhz single-core system. As ambitious as it is or should be, it still doesn't make real sense for making it a reality to actually require anything nearly as powerful as it's claimed to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.